HOW TO TRY TO RULE THE WORLD.

HOW TO TRY TO RULE THE WORLD.

A Story by Peter Rogerson
"

I've always liked writing essays about things I find important, and at the moment the rise of what can only be called fascism is important. After all, there's the grandkids...

"

This should be quite an easy piece for me to write because several people, almost exclusively men (which probably means that men are from a psychologically more feeble sex and need power for its own sake), have tried it.

The great promise, though, is that as nobody actually rules the world at the moment, nor has in my life time, this obviously means that all those who have tried in the past have ultimately failed.

I dared say that when the world was a smaller place in that huge swathes of it were waiting to be discovered it was easier to think you rule it all. Take the Roman emperors, for example, Caesar this and Caesar that, they as good as ruled the world, though even they knew their world had boundaries beyond which other people flourished. That‘s why Hadrian built his wall: to keep the others out. They were barbarians. The Scots.

But these days if you want to rule the world you’ve got to do one or two things, get a strong arm and be convincing, and a good model is Germany in the thirties.

Now, I don’t want to offend any Germans because it quite simply wasn’t their fault that a crown prince was shot in Sarajevo, and that led by a series of stupidities to the Great War and millions of deaths. The fault wasn’t German but the human condition called stupidity, and that attitude still prevailed when Germany had to pay for it in reparations that were, to put it honestly, unreasonable.

But one Adolf Hitler saw that things might be improved it he motivated his own people to want a better world. But in order to get that better world they really ought to own it all: then they could decide what was best and what was worst and put things right.

To start with he needed a focus for hatred and nobody’s actually sure why he chose the Jewish people except that possibly because they were a diligent and hard working sector of German society and thus attracted financial success and wealth. But he chose them, and convinced enough people that it was perfectly all right for them to be generally hated.

Every society has its thugs and I should imagine it’s always been so. We all see images of them, usually bloated and overweight and prone to alcohol abuse, who like to wrap themselves in flags. I dared say it’s a remnant of that long period of human evolution when primitive man learned to live in tribal groups and hate all other tribal groups because there was always a shortage of meat in the hunting grounds. The modern version is wrapping your mind in an image of a flag and hating everyone else for no discernible reason other than they exist. This comes out particularly when there are tribal conflicts like football matches and the smallest minority of the crowds, who are thuggish oafs who can pull really scary faces and don’t mind exposing themselves, draw attention to themselves.

Back to Germany in the thirties. Hitler realised that the thugs would make a perfect force to enforce his prejudices and stamp his own version of a glorious future (his thousand year Reich springs to mind here) on a nation that was fundamentally a) fed up with relative poverty for which they were beginning to believe his rhetoric about Jewish greed was responsible, and b) decent. The trouble with decent people is they usually try to steer clear of the thugs. Confrontation is best avoided. You’ll probably know that. It doesn’t mean you’re a coward, but it does mean you’re mostly decent.

Back in those relatively savage days of the early twentieth century the thugs must have thought they had it made. There was an enemy to torture or kill, there was a uniform to wear whilst stamping their feet and shouting hoarsely, and it was all perfectly legal. And, yes, there was a really special flag to wrap their minds in. And at the very helm there was a moustache that bellowed encouragement to hate.

And the very natural development that came from this was the second world war. Millions died. All sorts of people got involved, like the Japanese who had two of their cities engulfed in nuclear hell, and in the end, the painful bloody end, there was a bunker in Berlin where the would-be ruler of the whole world shot himself. It hadn’t worked. He had failed. But then, his sort, after a few spurts of glory, always have failed.

But the pattern is still there.

And now, from the West, I fear I can hear the start of a new rise in an attempt for total power. And, if you want one further pointer as to what the future mustn’t hold (because if it does there’ll be more than two cities engulfed in nuclear fire) there’’s the ridiculous element.

Fundamentally, Adolf Hitler with his silly moustache and excessive hectoring was a ridiculous figure who would have been mocked in many another age.

And Donald Trump, he’s ridiculous too, and I’m afraid that he wants to rule the world. He’s got his thugs at hand. And with his insistence on being orange he’s got enough absurdity to be dangerous.

Let’s see how the future pans out, shall we?

I’ve got a personal interest here. I’ve got grandchildren, one of them not even born yet, bless her, and I don’t want any of them to have to be incinerated in an angry burst of tribal bullying. Not one of them. Not ever.

© Peter Rogerson 29.06.18


© 2018 Peter Rogerson


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Maybe I'm being biased, but I feel like there's more to the world domination idea:
Hitler chose to dehumanize the Jews (and some others) in order to have a scapegoat to continuously blame and therefore prevent anyone from losing faith in the strength of the Reich. The reason he chose Jews was because he idealized the "Aryans" and Jews were the easiest to pick out by features, especially since they were quite plentiful. I agree that they were hardworking and successful, but I think there were more reasons that he specifically aimed the regime against them.
Also, he didn't use "thugs" per se, but instead took advantage of the struggling people by mounting their anger at those who won the first world war and left Germany in ruins. As you said, he made them want a better Germany. He trained able-bodied people, from young children to older adults, to create a massive army and to instill great pride in the German peoples through his fascism.
Great writing (more informal than I'm used to, but that's alright) and I hope you can write more in depth about it.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Peter Rogerson

5 Years Ago

I've seen it argued the Hitler chose Jews as his arch enemy because he was rejected by a Jewish beau.. read more
It’s always interesting to get a completely different point of view from someone who doesn’t live in the USA. Here we are inundated with constant comparisons & commentary about Trump & every evil-doer such as Nixon or Hitler. Your point of view is interesting & well-presented. Toward the end, you say Hitler had a silly mustache, but you forgot to mention that Trump has his silly comb-over! *wink! wink!* I’m afraid I cannot have a reasonable discussion becuz things are just too sad in the USA nowadays & I’m sick of the strife. Thank you for trying to figure it out & possibly imparting some insights I had not considered! *smile* Fondly, Margie

Posted 5 Years Ago


Peter Rogerson

5 Years Ago

our two nations are both in the grip of greedy right-wing politicians, but maybe things might change.. read more
mmmmmm, well now. Big Trump problem here. You don't want to 'anger' him in case he incinerates your off- spring. Well, I don't actually think that Trump is the problem , I don't think he does have much power. I'm afraid it is the BIG BOYS behind him (probably not Govt people, but you have The Big landowners, the Church, The Military, The IT Media, The Billionaires and so on.). Nobody might know who they actually are, but between them I expect they have already 'incinerated' many people, in many different ways.. Come now, Peter, I know the world has always had unfair 'ruler-ships', but there was a reason why Hitler was stopped! Today? Time for a change, I think. (but hopefully not a war ... most people are bit more grown-up now, about violent means and force). Personally i think it will be public opinion that brings about a change.


Posted 5 Years Ago


Great Aunt Astri

5 Years Ago

OH, now why did I think you were American? But I am getting very dilly in my old age (although I am .. read more
Peter Rogerson

5 Years Ago

That's the thing about the Internet. Nationality rarely enters into it and it doesn't matter where a.. read more
Great Aunt Astri

5 Years Ago

:} ..................xxx

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

303 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 29, 2018
Last Updated on June 29, 2018
Tags: fascism, history, power, Hitler, Trump

Author

Peter Rogerson
Peter Rogerson

Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom



About
I am 80 years old, but as a single dad with four children that I had sole responsibility for I found myself driving insanity away by writing. At first it was short stories (all lost now, unfortunately.. more..

Writing