Words are dead

Words are dead

A Poem by N.Sevilla

Words are birds with fragile wings that cannot hold a message so bold and heavy. So they crash and die. They do not have the ability to fly. Yet we have the urge to be understood, as if we could. The words spew from our mouths like a fountain of diamonds. Dead, cold diamonds. When I say "love", you hear a syllable, a sound produced from two lips and a tongue, the meaning hung back in the throat of the speaker. The true expressed emotion grows weaker as it exists. If I said "hate" with so cold a face and expressionless eyes, the meaning dies. We search to be understood, so speech came along to give us the dream to be that beam that leads from my mind to your ear so you could hear the unspoken language. Words are given birth through our imperfection of communication. The symbols for the tangible used for the intangible, the abstract, what is that? I say "frustration" and the word you hear enters your ear and through your brain. You say you understand, but do you really? Perhaps that is why lips are kissed. To satisfy our desperate urge to suck the meaning out of lips which form words words words! In our isolation and desperation we speak to connect and to be part of something bigger than the nothing of the lonely life of a solitary heart with no chance to hold on and bond with another near by. In our stife, we've found a voice that gives us our god-given choice: to be or not to be understood. 

© 2011 N.Sevilla


Author's Note

N.Sevilla
This poem is meant to be read aloud.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love this!! Great job! The last line is brilliant - Definitely my favourite. :)

"In our stife, we've found a voice that gives us our god-given choice: to be or not to be understood."

Posted 12 Years Ago


I chose your piece as a contest winner in my Free Verse contest not because of your craft. It was all the damn potential that is oozing from you. Not to say this piece needs more, the piece is great. The ending is what sold me. Theres always room for improvement, ALWAYS. But I really liked the subject matter and flow. Congrats, and from seeing the lack of reviews on your work Im glad someone pointed out that this is goood.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

303 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 21, 2011
Last Updated on April 21, 2011

Author

N.Sevilla
N.Sevilla

CA



About
I've had this account for several years and I am finally coming back to my writing roots. It's been a joy to write again and look back on my poetry from 10 years ago and see the changes in my life. .. more..

Writing
Time Time

A Poem by N.Sevilla