Lilith (But I Am Not)

Lilith (But I Am Not)

A Story by poetic-raven2012

Jenn XXXX
10/5/09

Lilith

“Wildcats shall meet with hyenas,
      goat-demons shall call to each other,
There too Lilith shall repose
     and find a place to rest.”
                                   -Isaiah 34:14

 

“She is the beginning of all paths to evil.
She will ruin all those who possess her,
    and destruction will come to all those who take hold of her.
Her paths are the paths of death,
    and her ways are roads to sin,
   her trails lead toward wickedness,
   and her pathways, to evil wrongdoing.”

                            -A Qumran Poem of the Dead Sea Scrolls

 

Night demon, they call behind my back, but I am not. Yes, I am Lilith, but I am not who you think I am. I was made as a separate being, not one to be controlled. The Lord that made you of a speck of dust has also made me. We are of the same material but of separate brains; I wanted to be all my own. Tall, gorgeous mate of golden skin and hair, you were much too forceful, much too God-like, and unlike a reed of our same color, I do not bend.

I took my leave of the sweet garden and was stricken from the records, no memory, no remainder. I let my own perfect skin be worn down by water and wind. I blended into the population, joining the others where I was wanted, yet I did not mesh. Written in stone was the order that I had befriended the Devil, a well known yet hidden dark man; never.

I abandoned our God that set me a notch in the wall lower than you; I look in contempt at my brown-haired counterpart of the rib. She will never know the joy of the wind, the exhilaration of seeing anew, unless she…yes, she would. She will betray the trust as have I, for it is our nature. It wasn’t a choice, but a need, the crumbling walls I had become needed to fall, as the rough walls will fall for her. With no drive, they will be golden still; they will be confused with the world. They will be sheltered, pale golden shoulders with baby fine hair.

No, I did not seek the dark man and I did not seek the light. I rode the middle path of happiness. I may wear horns though I am not a demon, but the pointy beings and I are quite dear friends.

© 2010 poetic-raven2012


Author's Note

poetic-raven2012
This was a persona writing we did in Creative Writing last week. In case you aren't familiar with Lilith, I included the gloss, but if you're still unclear, Lilith was the first wife of Adam before Eve. God created Lilith and Adam of the same dust, but Adam thought that Lilith was not his equal. She refused to submit, and left the Garden of Eden. God then made Eve from Adam's rib so she would always be subservient. In Hinduism she is known as Lilitu, the Devil's consort, and in Judaism she is made out as a demon who steals newborn babies.
Reviews, Questions, Comments? Appreciated. :)
(I didn't feel like deleting my name and date and such, so I just XXXX'ed out my last name. Deal with it.)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Thought out and well written... interesting and enjoyable... entertaining. I like it. Nicely done my friend.

Posted 13 Years Ago


This was an interesting and enjoyable piece. great writing.

Posted 13 Years Ago


the opening and intense subject matter makes this a riveting, solid theme.
with a debatable quality. has a feeling of darkness and deception.
over all i found this to be well thought out and well written. keep it up.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

383 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 12, 2009
Last Updated on January 3, 2010
Previous Versions

Author

poetic-raven2012
poetic-raven2012

Baltimore, MD



About
Hiya. I'm Jenn, I'm fifteen. I have the five most amazing best friends in the world. ♥ I spend as much time as possible with them as possible. I hate being home; my mom and I constantly fight. .. more..

Writing
dd dd

A Poem by poetic-raven2012



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..