Wanting

Wanting

A Poem by popourii

I start the day, like no other day. I turn to kiss the man beside me and let his skin protect mine from the morning chill. I watch his eyelids flutter open and I can see his crystal-bright cerulean eyes, glittering. 



There’s a moment that always takes place when he first comes to: Eyes open but the world is still shut. 



This is where to go if you want to witness a person’s everyday first experience of the universe. For a second all is blank and nothing registers, but then he really sees my face. A thousand lights go swimming around his pupils. 

A smile whispers across his face. 

Suddenly, the beauty of the sun is put to shame. It humbles itself behind the curtains. Its rays shyly peek on us and caresses his hair, wanting. 

I start the day, like every other day. I turn to kiss the man beside me and let his skin protect mine from the morning chill. I turn to find I’ve missed him again. The sheets still stained with his scent. I’ll have to wait until he’s home again, to see the gleam in his eye, stolen. 

There’s a moment that always takes place when he first leaves me: Eyes closed but the world is embracing.

This is where to go if you have to survive the torment of a drop of water in a desert. For a second all is blank and nothing registers, but then I really see his face. A thousand armies could not withdraw me from this pool of jubilation I have drowned in. 

Then it vanishes into a vapor. 

The scourge of the sun puts me to shame. I crumble behind my own face. I starve at the door for another dive, wanting.

I start the day.

© 2013 popourii


Author's Note

popourii
Hope you enjoy. Hope you'll leave your honest thoughts with me :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

wow, when I got to the second bold lined text I had a great feeling, repetition, it was so subtle, it shouldn't have been there but there it was, and it was amazing. I love the language you use, I can find the right word to describe the effect it has on the poem, what a pity.. I love this one.

Posted 10 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

popourii

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much for your comment. I'm really glad you enjoyed it. :)



Reviews

I really enjoyed this piece of writing, though I see it as more of a small piece in a memoir or short story. I love the images here, particularly the way the sun is used. This is love-filled, yearning piece that I find heart-wrenching and beautiful. Great write!

Posted 10 Years Ago


popourii

10 Years Ago

Thank you very much for you thoughtful comment. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'll consider what categori.. read more
You are so in love to him =) that's lovely

Posted 10 Years Ago


popourii

10 Years Ago

Yes I am. :) Thank you.
wow, this was really beautiful! The language of the poem made it very visual and full of emotion. You're such a great writer and I just love reading your work :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


popourii

10 Years Ago

Thank you Olivia! You're so sweet and kind to say so! :)
This is surely not a poem Pot. nevertheless I can see that you are or were seemingly from the last lines very much in love. UI see the bold lines are to show that this man was very much the center of your world until "the scourge of the sun puts me to shame" in way did it do so are you no longer receiving the protection from his skin, is it no longer warming you?

Posted 10 Years Ago


popourii

10 Years Ago

I put it under poetry because it is a poetic prose. It doesn't fit better anywhere else in my opinio.. read more
Atthis Rose

10 Years Ago

90% yuk! that's like forever girl
popourii

10 Years Ago

I know, right? :
wow, when I got to the second bold lined text I had a great feeling, repetition, it was so subtle, it shouldn't have been there but there it was, and it was amazing. I love the language you use, I can find the right word to describe the effect it has on the poem, what a pity.. I love this one.

Posted 10 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

popourii

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much for your comment. I'm really glad you enjoyed it. :)
I love it :) particularly that last line.

Posted 10 Years Ago


popourii

10 Years Ago

Thank you Elliott! You're very kind.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

284 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 20, 2013
Last Updated on May 20, 2013
Tags: longing, wanting, heartache, love

Author

popourii
popourii

Rocklin, CA



About
Hello, my name is Sandra. I like writing poems from time to time but am more interested in fiction writing. :) Please feel comfortable messaging me your thoughts and opinions. Message me if.. more..

Writing
The End The End

A Poem by popourii


Piranha Piranha

A Poem by popourii



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..