The Theft

The Theft

A Story by Provid
"

Mathilde Loisel may have missed her past, but what would happen if she had the chance to go back?

"

A large creak sound quieted down the household, as Mme. Loisel gently closed their shabby wooden door. She walked to the kitchen, with big baggy eyelids, and arms drooped down as a sloth trying to get down from a tree. Heavy footsteps made each creaking noise louder and louder, with the Madame’s worn out sandals being filled with mud and dust. She sat down on her stool, feet planted on the frigid floor. Another creak sound emerged, though this one was slightly smaller. Her hands clasped with the last bits of coins that she and Monsieur Loisel, have at the moment.

Mme. Loisel knew this would be the end for her. What made her become extremely distraught was the assertion that the necklace was fake after all.

“It can’t be fake. I was at the public festival with hundreds of other visitors, yet no one addressed this embarrassment.” she repeated. Mme. Loisel tried her best to imagine what she was back then. All she could think of was how beautiful and elegant she was at the festivity. Men were drunk enough to dine with their ladies, and the buildings were proven to be an extraordinary site for everyone. Halls were embroiled with silver linings draped on the curtains, and golden statues were depicted on some of the most well-known men on Earth. Everything was filled with pride, and Mme. Loisel needed that. She needed the compassion for her beauty and looks back.

Mme. Loisel rushed out of the household, and headed straight to the Forestier’s home. She fluffed her long skirt and gave a steady knock onto their door. Mme. Forestier opened the door, once again surprised by her arrival.

“Why, hello Mathilde! Is everything alright with you?” she asked. 

“Jeanette! My, my, it has been quite the contrary when you announced the truth of your diamond necklace.” Mme. Loisel mocked. Mme. Forestier chuckled.

“Why, it was indeed a special gift, so thank you for taking the time to buy me something worth using, rather than losing it at the end.” she joked. Mme. Loisel gave a hard grin. “Now, what is it that you need?” The filthy woman gave a crooked smile and tapped her foot up and down, crossing her arms towards Mme. Forestier.

“Jeanette, listen to me. I understand how I could’ve spoken out of the truth before, but please; I want to sell this necklace and buy you the paste kind again. The amount of money that I spent…it’s extremely unfair based on what I’ve done in the past few years!” Mme. Loisel wailed. The elegant woman leaned sideways against the newly designed, costing-an-arm-and-a-leg porch, scoffing behind her back. Mme. Loisel noticed her unnecessary scoffing, eyes filled in depth with madness and rage. “How dare you laugh to scorn upon my actions! I faced a mistake, and I can understand. Just please, let me gain my wealth back!” She cried out, loud enough for the whole neighborhood to hear. But still, Mme. Forestier skipped off to the front door of her house, laughing light-heartedly. Right before she closed her door, she stopped laughing and said, “Mathilde, the necklace is mine now. It’s my property, and you cannot sell it.” The tiresome woman felt her face growing red. She stomped out of the Mme. Forestier’s porch. “Oh I almost forgot to tell you!” She called out. Loisel looked back. “Don’t expect me to allow you borrowing any of our belongings, Plebeian!” she shouted, ending her witty remarks, and slamming the door shut.

“Please Monsieur, just head to the Forestier’s home and ask for the diamond necklace.” Mme. Loisel begged, kneeling on her knees to the floor. The monsieur was speechless, yet bewildered of her hysteria in the past few minutes.

“You first talk about the truth of the diamond necklace. And now you want me to retrieve it back? Have you lost your mind?” He asked.

“No, no, it’s not just that! I would be able to sell that necklace, which would make us wealthy once again! You’ve always wanted to think of our past, so why not do so by selling this necklace?” she explained. Her eyes were glittering, beaming at him. Soon, he agreed at her decision, and left the house. Mme. Loisel peeked over at by their square window, staring at the Forestier’s villa. She saw her husband banging on their door, and looked away as soon as the Forestier’s door opened.

Moments later, her front door opened. “Here Mathilde, Jeanette was currently attending a few festivities with her friends, so her husband gave me the necklace instead.” he stated, opening a drawer. Mme. Loisel snatched the piece of jewelry away from him, with tears of joy into her eyes.

“Finally, now we can live through our past, and gain our wealth. Oh, are you glad by the news of this Monsieur?” she asked. Monsieur Loisel closed the drawer, picking up an old camera.

“Yes, I am quite grateful for this ‘catch’. In fact, darling, would you like me to take a picture of you with the necklace? The camera is indeed worn, but one photo wouldn't hurt.” he insisted.

“Why of course! We can share our history together through this picture. It will be our breakthrough for the future. Please, take it!” She eagerly bellowed. Monsieur raised the camera, positioning Mme. Loisel and the necklace together. The cheerful woman hurried to their crowded living room to strike a pose. The camera lens snapped. “Well, I just know that all will be well. Right Monsieur?” She asked, staring at him. Monsieur Loisel looked back.

I don’t see how this will get any worse.” remarked her husband, grinning at her by his statement.

All day, Mme. Loisel had been searching for shops, desperate of selling the necklace for 36,000 francs. Some curio shops rejected the jewelry, believing that it is too fake to be true. Other shops gave the necklace an offer, but will only accept the necklace if she told them where it originally came from. Ashamed by her results, she decided to head back home. Soon, she becomes confronted by armed men in grey uniforms.

“Ma’am, are you Mathilde Loisel?” he asked. His stern and motionless face frightened Mme. Loisel.

“Yes, is there a problem?” She replied politely, trying not to show guilt. Suddenly, more police officers surround Mme. Loisel, binding her arms to her back.

“Let go of me, for I have done nothing!” she screamed, pulling away from the police truck. But it was too late. The men dragged her up, dropped her to the back trunk of their truck. Everyone gathered around, peering at the woman who was once a beauty, and is now a thief for her crimes. The woman muttered under her breath, as the police truck takes her away.

“Mathilde Loisel, you are proven guilty of theft of a diamond necklace, that is worth 36,000 francs. May the plaintiff rise and express her claim.” the judge declared. Mme. Loisel looked back, seeing Mme. Forestier in disgust.

“Judge, this defendant has stolen my own necklace without my permission. Therefore, she shall be punished by paying the exact price for this necklace.” she calmly asserted. Mme. Loisel scowled.

“Very well, now if the defendant cannot pay the exact amount, then she must spend 3 years at prison. Defendant, please rise and explain the reason behind this.” Mme. Loisel got up to her feet, chained in handcuffs.

“With all due respect, that necklace belongs to me. I bought it with my own money, and I shouldn’t be paying for what I’ve payed!” She spat out.

“But you gave the necklace to me, without even claiming that you were the one who boug-”

“That’s enough!” The judge shouted, hitting her gavel. “May the plaintiff please present the evidence, and show it to both the judge and the defendant.” Mme. Forestier got out of the mahogany chair, and presented a photo. Mme. Loisel shrieked in horror.

“Now, may the witness of this piece of evidence please come in.” Doors opened as the witness walks over. “May the witness explain the significance of this evidence?”

“Yes, this shows the defendant holding the necklace that she stole herself.” Mme. Loisel’s face had once again turned red. Her fists rolled up, banging them on the table.

“Is it true that this was taken after the theft?”

“Yes.”

“Thank you, witness. Now defendant, do you have anything you would like to say?” Mme. Loisel became deranged, angry at what has now been up to here.

“No, of that I’m innocent. I’m guilty of a far more monstrous crime. I’m guilty of being one of the prettiest women in France.” A few snickers echoed the court room.

“Defendent, you are not on trial for being the pretti-”

“Oh yes I have, I’ve been on trial for that in the past decade.”

“Have you nothing to say in your defense?”
“Nothing but this. I did not steal the diamond necklace myself, but I wish that I had. Seeing 
that diamond necklace being stolen gave me more relief than a thousand lying husbands!” She bitterly declared. The crowd at the back started murmuring.

“I wish I was the monster you think I am. I wish I had enough poison for the whole pack of you. I would gladly give my life to watch you all swallow it!” she cried, angering the crowd.

“Defendent, you are hereby guilty of this crime. May the officers please get the prisoner to-”

“I will not give my life for the theft of a diamond necklace that I bought, but I know I’ll get no justice here, especially from you!” she pointed at the witness.

“Officers, take the prisoner back to her cell! This jurisdiction is over!” The judge hit the gavel once again.

Mme. Loisel was dragged to the entrance in a concealed room. She peered at the glass pane, glaring at the witness with eyes dead as a skeleton. The witness gave a wide and sinister grin, the same smile as what he gave to her at their own home.

© 2017 Provid


Author's Note

Provid
Firstly, I would like to inform everyone that this is my very first fictional story written. As a student born in China, it has been remarkably difficult for me to write such a detailed plot. Second, the story is more of a sequel towards "The Necklace" by Guy de Maupassant, so if you haven't read that short story, then I would recommend you to do so. It's a short story, and I did quite enjoy the plot myself! And finally, please give a review for my writing. I am planning on writing even more, so your contribution will gladly benefit both you and me. Thank you!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Let me start by saying well done. The Necklace is such a great piece of writing with a perfect twist. Your addition to that has made it all the better. I don't see any noticeable errors in sentence structure or grammar. You did very good on that part. The story throughout is engaging and your use of visionary aspects is excellent. This is just overall a good addition.

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

69 Views
1 Review
Added on December 5, 2017
Last Updated on December 5, 2017
Tags: The Necklace, Fiction, Sequel, The Theft

Author

Provid
Provid

Shanghai, China



About
I'm an anonymous author, but I come with the name Provid. Although I am forced to read some of the most famous literature works, my creative mind turns that around. more..