So Many Struggles

So Many Struggles

A Story by LynLee

So many Struggles

 

I watched from the kitchen window, walking up the driveway with a smile on his face. I heard him come inside and into the room. "It came." He said. Looking up with a large smile on his face. I stared back and yelled, "Open it!" He started ripping at the envelope. He pulled out the piece of paper. Nicely folded, creased perfectly. He held it out to me, "I can't look. You open it." He winked at me and I took the paper. I carefully opened it, Reading the words "YALE UNIVERSITY" in big capital letters on the top. It was so proper and the only college he really wanted to go to. Even though he applied to like ever college in the U.S.

 

Okay, the big moment. "Read it out loud please." I looked up at him. He looked so nervous. I wanted to tell him not to be, but I read the first words and it all went down hill.

 

"We are sorry to say that your application has been rejected. Your application was very impressive, but there were so many others. We are again sorry and we all wish you luck.

YALE UNIVERSITY."

 

I stared back at him. "I'm just going to go to my room." He started up the stairs and I yelled, "You applied to other colleges, maybe they'll accept you! It was Yale's lost!"

He only grunted back. He must be heart broken. He studied for hours, had the highest I.Q., and was valedictorian. He was the best and they didn't accept him. I heard a loud "SLAM!" and then the clicking of a lock. I looked back at the letter and put it down on the table for mom and dad to look at when they get home.

* * *

 

"I'm home!" A sweet voice with even sweeter smelling chicken said. "Yum" I thought. Maybe this will cheer up Bryan a little. She walked into the room with grocerie bags filling her hands. She threw them onto the counter. "Thanks for helping me sweety." She said sarcastically.

 

"Oh sorry." I said looking at the letter on the counter. I sighed and put my head on the counter.

 

"What's wrong?" She said with a sideways stare while putting groceries away. I pushed the letter towards her and she immediatly knew what was wrong. "Oh, this is terrible! How could they not accept him?"

 

"I know! That's what I said! He's upstairs probably ripping his hair out."

 

"Oh just give him some time. I'm sure he'll get into a better college that he'll love!" She said with a smile spreading on her face as she laid out the delicious dinner we were having.

 

About three hours went by and Bryan still hadn't come down. We gave up and walked up to Bryan's room. We leaned into the door and could hear him crying. My Mom knocked quietly, "Bryan, Bryan sweetie. You need to come out and eat." He didn't reply back and then she said,

 

"Bryan, come out we need to talk." He heard him get off his bed and then we saw the knob turn and the clikc of the lock turning off. Then, slowly, the door opened and a wet, red faced Bryan stepped out. My mom hugged him and we all walked downstairs.

SHe had us sit on the couch and her in the chair across us. "There is something I have to tell both of you." SHe was started to get tears in her eyes and I wondered why. I also wondered, "Where's dad?"

 

"I'm sure your both wondering where your father is," Wow, a little creepy.

"To tell you the truth, probably with another woman..." She burst into tears and both me and Bryan sprang up. "No!" We both yelled. She only nodded her head in her hands. Tears falling through her fingers. I started crying myself, but Bryan stood there serious as ever.

 

"I'm sorry, but I'm getting a divorce with your father. I am through with the cheating." I stood there suprised as ever, but Bryan ran back upstairs and another "SLAM!" went through the house, followed by the click of a lock. I wanted to do that too, but I knew I had to stay here with mom.

 

Hours went by. All of them filled with broken hearts. First Bryan and Yale, now mom and dad. How can it get worse?

 

"Time to go to bed Ally." I turned around and saw my mom. Her face was still red and puffy from crying. I was sure mine was too. I got up and walked to her. FIrst I hugged her and she kissed me on the head. Then she wiped away my tears and I walked upstairs to my room.

 

I ran to my bed and started crying all over again. Then I heard a small, "Thump." From the room beside me. I opened the door and walked down the hall a little and got to the next room. I wiped away my tears and looked up. The door was white, but almost like a yellowish- white, and had a sign that said, "BRYAN'S ROOM" I slowly opened the door.

 

First all I saw was a knocked over desk chair with a piece of paper taped to it. Then I looked up and saw hovering feet, then legs, then arms, then a body and then his head,......................... being hung from a rope.

© 2010 LynLee


Author's Note

LynLee
I tried to make this a little bit funny with the "Wow Creepy." Thing.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I really, really liked this story and the premise. I do like the suspension and the ending was a nice, though gruesome, twist on it. I must suggest that you go a bit slower. I would think that if the mother was getting a divorce she wouldn't come in so happy. Maybe the suspense was a bit more and you say the mom contradicting herself and trying to decide whether to tell them after the bad news about Yale. Also start a new paragraph with each person speaking. But these are just minor suggestions, and I must congratulate you on a wonderful piece of art. :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


Wasn't expecting that......whoa.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Wow... you definitely did succeed. I was not expecting that type of ending. Nice write though. I can see a difference in your style since I first started reading your work. Youre getting better :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


You definitely succeeded. I was kind of wondering where you were going with it, but it became obvious when you said that they parents were going to get a divorce. Also, what I was wondering, when the letter came, did you me rejected instead of objected?

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

157 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 11, 2010
Last Updated on October 12, 2010

Author

LynLee
LynLee

Where I am free, VA



About
Hola, me llamo LynLee. De donde es Earth. Me cumpleanos es Noviembre 24. Me gusta es escribir. Sorry had to practice my spanish somewhere. I'm LynLee. I'm fourteen and I am a writer. My best frien.. more..

Writing
Believe Believe

A Poem by LynLee


Dark sunset Dark sunset

A Poem by LynLee