Chapter 23: The gang of Jena University

Chapter 23: The gang of Jena University

A Chapter by J. Marc

Insecurity

 

Luckily for Schiller, destiny would sometimes lend him a hand in the execution of his plan, for no one is never totally left helpless before the incessant blows of life. Because of his various occupations, Goethe would make frequent stays in Jena during the year 1794, hence opening more opportunities for both men to meet, and therefore, for Schiller to expose his motives and advance his cause. It was, indeed, an unexpected occasion which Schiller was firmly intended to take profit from. For years, he has tried to connect with this all-too-powerful man without any success. And now, Goethe would come very often to his town, to his university. Hence, would a collaboration little by little ensue between the Naïve, Schiller and the Sentimental, Goethe. A collaboration which did not yet bear the voluntarily steps toward reconciliation, but a one in a lifetime experience for Schiller: who would not want to be associated with Goethe?

 

Upon his return to Jena with his family, would Schiller, then, be more than ever determined to take advantage of this opportunity to renew and further his collaboration with Goethe, which he interrupted temporarily before his trip to Swabia.

 

The weather was still very cold, even if the winter fog was not anymore anywhere to be seen in the surroundings of Jena. In truth, this May evening could have been very pleasant were the temperature not so low. Jena, the same way as Berlin and Weimar, was a city in transformation. Everywhere in the city, people were extending their personal residences and gardens, streets were being built or enlarged. In the same way, were many buildings which were devoted to the enjoyment of artistic experiences, the diffusion of knowledge or simply for administrative purposes were being renovated and re-decorated. In one of these recently renovated and imposing building, a lecture is about to take place. As the attendants who possessed any rank or reputation in the city were taking place in the front seats of the semi-circle auditorium to hear a lecture about “Don Carlos”, the numerous students who have come for the occasion have already for long kept their place in the back. The cold outside, in the city, contrasted very much with the enthusiastic, almost excited mood among the audience, about the lecture which was going to be held.

 

The proctors of this lecture were particularly proud about their arrangements: Duke Charles August was among the audience, and despite their frenetic discussions, the numerous students were behaving just right in the seats devoted to them. The attendant would then announce the beginning of the lecture with a short presentation of the program for the evening. Murmurs were circulating in the semi-circle: Frederick Schiller would be making the first presentation. Shortly after the announcement, a young man was already standing before the pulpit. He was tall, with long blond hair falling upon his shoulders.

 

His black suit, which was conforming the academic protocol, could not diminish the impression of passion which radiates from his face. As he finally began to read his lecture, after the usual complimentary sentences, people could hear a strong and deep voice, which could only confirm the impression of passion he has given right upon his entry, under the lights, onto the stage.

 

Even if the voice was calm and the movements of the arms were controlled, the expression in the eyes revealed an enthusiasm which was unusual among the other lecturers. The audience usually cannot make the difference between the good and the excellent lecturers. The lips expressed only words which were carefully chosen and prepared, however the eyes looked intensively to communicate with the audience. Schiller’s lecture distinguishes itself really not by its content, but really with the manner with which he delivered this content and the intensive way which he communicated with the audience.

 



© 2011 J. Marc


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

224 Views
Added on April 22, 2011
Last Updated on April 22, 2011


Author

J. Marc
J. Marc

Antananarivo, Madagascar



About
body {background-color:FFCC66;background-image:url(http://);background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:top left;background-attachment:fixed;} table, tr, td {background:transparent; border:0p.. more..

Writing