Martial Arts Essay

Martial Arts Essay

A Story by Rebecca
"

About martial arts and what it means to me

"

Martial arts Essay

 

           Some people think that martial arts are buddhist. Some people think martial arts turns people into assassins and soldiers and basically, murderers.  Some martial arts are hard, and some are soft. The main thing about martial arts is about seeking peace. It’s about learning how to defend yourself WITHOUT killing. Kung fu is a gentle martial art. You spar without equipment, but you’re always gentle when doing self-defense techniques on your martial arts partner.

         In hapkido, they teach you how to twist someone’s wrist. I had a dream where I used this technique to defend a mall of people from serial killer who was using a knife. The problem with this technique, though, is that it hurts when somebody does it to you, and you have to practice it to learn it.

      Since kung fu is gentle, you are hard and fierce when you’re using a punching bag. You have to learn how to tame the fire inside your soul. In Shotokan Karate, you start every practice session in the dojo with five to ten minutes of meditation. While the forms do teach you basic fighting skills, they are also walking meditation that can bring peace to your soul.

      I quit taekwondo. It wasn’t even that I didn’t like it: demons were tormenting and it was hard to dedicate two hours (which was six hours before the voices started �" training karate, kung fu, kajukenbo, a few months of oom yung do, and axe and uncaou capoeira). “Uncao” means everyone in an indigenous language from Brazil. I quit taekwondo because I was experiencing elvish heartbreak, and because I knew in my soul that after doing live research of all the martial arts I could squeeze into my soul, Kung Fu (any and all versions) is my favorite and the one I want to train.

       I learned and forgot a staff form during my time on Earth. I knew many before leaving Heaven on assignment as a cherub. In Heaven, martial arts are Christian. What I learned from Capoeira that the sports you love �" may it be martial arts, gymnastics, soccer, figure skating �" they are for everyone.  Kids, teenagers, young adults, middle aged, elderly. A lot of old people aren’t elderly at all, though.

       Kung fu �" “wushu”, which means “martial arts” �" is peaceful and kind. It brings good thoughts and security. Knowing that you can defend yourself without killing (shoot to wound) brings peace and serenity. Some people choose taekwondo. That’s okay. That’s for them. I like the taekwondo katas (forms), and I wanted to learn the black belt ones, but they didn’t teach foot movement the way Shotokan Karate does. I don’t remember much about kung fu.

       This is what I do remember: Grace Huajian Lin asked me to do a technique on her. I was confused and I forgot all my techniques. Secretly, I just didn’t want to hurt me. Truth be told, I have superstrength, and Grace probably does too, but she was tiny �" a faerie sprite, perhaps. I do know that the forms I learned were beautiful.

         In all my martial arts strength training, I find gymnastics strength training to be more fun and successful. Many martial artists �" especially in kung fu and capoeira (and for me, because of God, in taekwondo) �" bring people to gymnastics. You can do all the sports you want to do. For me, its gymnastics, figure skating, ballet/contempory dance, and martial arts. I don’t really favor one over the other.

         My taekwondo teacher tried to pull my faith from me. I won't tell you the things he said. He cut watermelons with a sword on the top of kids’ backs. He told me, when I broke my toe, mostly jokingly, that I didn’t need it and that it should be cut off. He assumed I was somewhere between ten and fifteen.  The dojang �" in taekwondo they call it a dojang and not a dojo �" wasn’t a good setting for someone battling demons. Either way, I asked God to come to me in person and tell me, if martial arts is a sin, that it’s a sin or isn’t one. I don’t know if He did or not, replacing someone, but I got an impression on my mind that martial arts is not a sin. God wants you to know how to defend yourself. It may be the second coming, but some weak Christians want to hurt other people. They are allowed on Earth and in Heaven because they are Christian.

        The main defensive techniques �" blocking �" and offense forms �" the kicks and types of punches �" are similar in all forms of martial arts. My taekwondo teacher told me not to use the X block, and that it doesn’t work. Truth be told, it works for me, and I will use it.

       In Shotokan karate, a brown belt told me to punch him as hard as I could. I didn’t want to, but he insisted, so I did. Another brown belt was way too hard on me. I, unconsciously on purpose, punched to the side, because he blocked way too hard. I always went back to my dorm room with bruises all over my arms. In taekwondo, this didn’t happen because we used sparing equipment.

          Overall, I say try all of them. Pick the one that speaks to you the most. For me, it’s Kung fu. If you don’t try, you’ll never know.

© 2017 Rebecca


Author's Note

Rebecca
tell me if this feels finished.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very interesting piece! I notice you didn't write anything about grappling arts or maybe you did but I didn't recognize the name.
In any case, this is a very nice and simple explanation of martial arts! I also like how you make mention of the supernatural like god and demons. It gives it a mystical feel.

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

176 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 27, 2017
Last Updated on January 27, 2017

Author

Rebecca
Rebecca

About
strong Christian warrior: poet, prose prophet novelist, dancer, gymnast, figure skater, martial artist. Please don't steal my writing! They are copyrighted Rebecca :) more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Rebecca


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Rebecca


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Rebecca