Heavy

Heavy

A Story by Penny Ellen
"

WWP

"

    The waiting room is piled high with pamphlets for adoption agencies and required reading about the risks of the procedure. Mandy stared at the windowless walls, deep in thought about why she'd been forced to this decision. Raising a child is never easy, but it's more difficult at twenty years of age, and especially alone. Just like the teenager that she still felt like she was, her parents would kick her out on the street if they knew. She would have nowhere to go, after sleeping on couches long enough to become unwelcome. More importantly, she would have no way to raise the child that would become of the clump of cells in her uterine lining. Her minimum wage job barely paid her car insurance. There wasn't any room for doctor expenses. She was using the ex's plastic to pay this off, as it was. He'd pushed it into her hand when she explained that she'd have to quit college to afford the abortion.
    Heavy. That's how she felt when the "nurse" behind the counter called her name. Like a weight had suddenly dropped down her throat and sunk straight to her feet. She smiled grimly and got to her leaden feet.
    She came back out empty and half-dead.

© 2012 Penny Ellen


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

You really captured the essence of hopelessness in his piece. I felt heartbroken by the time I finished it. This is truly powerful for its length.

Posted 13 Years Ago


wow. powerful piece. so sad. painful.

very well written.


Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Aw! That's horrible! Really I did feel like crying while I read this! It is amazing! I love it! Something with no hope, and its horrible. But there are situations like that once in a while! Really impressive! Great job!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

199 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 10, 2010
Last Updated on June 3, 2012

Author

Penny Ellen
Penny Ellen

Misplaced, AR



About
****I HAVE MOVED TO WORDPRESS**** ***Check out my NEW poetry page at lividsanguine.WordPress.com *** I am vile, highly opinionated, stubborn, and more often than not, a little bit insane. But hey,.. more..

Writing
Flight Flight

A Poem by Penny Ellen


Rainbows Rainbows

A Poem by Penny Ellen



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..