Christians and Atheists Share The Same Faith -- In Hate

Christians and Atheists Share The Same Faith -- In Hate

A Story by Bishop R. Joseph Owles

I'm reading through comment online and I finally figured out what is bugging me.

I cannot tell Christians and Atheists apart!

Christians celebrate how human being are created in the Image of God, and then turn around and dehumanize other people so they no longer have to be accepted as valid images of God. They set out to hurt others who are made in the image of God. They say mean, arrogant, hurtful things that are not designed to foster discussion or debate, but simply designed to malign and injure. They are petty, hateful, hurtful and they blaspheme the God in whom they claim to believe every time they refuse to treat other people the way they want to be treated. (and if they want to be treated in a petty, hateful, hurtful manner that blasphemes the God of love, then I want them to find a good therapist, because that is what I would want for myself).

On the other hand, Atheists keep talking about how enlightened and rational they are. They celebrate the human potential to be led by intelligent, rational philosophies and discourse. The claim that all people are rational and have the capability to employ reason as they see fit and come to the rational conclusions that they come to based on their reason and conviction.Then they set out to hurt others who do not share the same conclusions. They are openly hateful and hostile to people who belief in God, which is their right and a product of their reason. They say mean, arrogant, hurtful things that are not designed to foster discussion or debate, or to further reason and knowledge, but simply designed to malign and injure. They are petty, hateful, hurtful and they deny the very philosophy in which they claim to believe every time they refuse to treat other people with the same basic human dignity and freedom to use their minds and reason to come up with whatever conclusions they want to make that they would want for themselves. (and if they want to be treated in a petty, hateful, hurtful manner that denies everything in which they claim to believe, then I want them to find a good therapist, because that is what I would want for myself).

So Christians and Atheists each tell me how different and correct they are, but in the end, I just see more of the same from both camps. I know there are good Christians and there are good atheists. I know there are Christians who treat people with respect and dignity and help those in need, and I know there are atheists who do the same. But the ones who are vocal, and the ones who are out there advertising what each group is online and elsewhere are exactly the same: petty, hateful, hurtful jerks who don't love anyone or anything but themselves.

So, it seems that we all do share a common religion, or a common philosophy, or a common faith, or a common-whatever-you-want-to-call-it. We all share a commitment and faith in selfish, arrogant, petty, hurtful, hatred for others. That is our faith, our religion, our philosophy, our whatever the proper term is, regardless of whether we call ourselves Christian or Atheist, regardless of whether we sit in pews or somewhere else on Sunday mornings. 

So what bugs me is that I cannot tell Christians and Atheists apart -- they have too much in common. They, however, cannot see the obvious similarities. I expect better from both groups and I am routinely disappointed by them -- another trait they share.

© 2013 Bishop R. Joseph Owles


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hi Father, I just wanted to say that I read your stories...you are pretty cutting edge as a Priest...you had strong sound arguments...especially, in this one where both sides can be dogmatic as you pointed out...former alter boy. Thank you for sharing. :)

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

583 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 14, 2013
Last Updated on August 14, 2013
Tags: Jesus Christ, faith, Church, God, heaven, earth, Holy Spirit, Christian, Christianity, teaching, apostles, ministry, sin, atheist, hate, petty, arrogant, inhuman

Author

Bishop R. Joseph Owles
Bishop R. Joseph Owles

Alloway, NJ



About
Powered by Conduit Mobile LoveMyProfile.com more..

Writing



Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5