Gone off to war

Gone off to war

A Story by ron
"

How I felt when my son went off to war.

"

Gone off to war

My son has left for Afghanistan…

What should I feel after spending 20 years in the Army and never seeing a day in a combat zone?

I served for GOD, Love of my Country and for all those who could not serve. But after having a family of my own it became paramount in protecting my Country and even more paramount to protect my family to go fight the bad guys so they wouldn’t have to.

He called me from Germany several times, but I did not recognize the number so I disregarded it. Finally I answered and it was my son.

He explained that he was going to Afghanistan, but The kicker was he was on a 72 hour standby. I knew what he was feeling because I to was on a 72 hour stand by when President Regan sent us to Honduras.

He explained that he had very good training and that one of his NCO’s had been in Iraq or Afghanistan (I don’t remember which one he said). He tried to convince me that he was well trained for the endeavor but I heard in his voice that he was trying to convince himself more than me.

It has taken at least a week for me to come to terms with the fact that he is going to a place that I so desperately wanted to go to so he didn’t have to.

I once sat and enjoyed the simple things in life. (My time off, maybe have some drinks and listen to music, play my PS3). Now those things are not so important.

I found myself today not wanting to look at the front door, but sitting in the front room waiting for someone to knock picturing myself opening the door and seeing a Chaplin and some Lieutenant or Major standing there.

It holds me in a grip that cannot be fought, beaten, negotiated with or otherwise wished away.

And still no matter what or how I feel or what I go through, it is nothing compared to what he is going through minute by minute, day by day, and month by month. So I have to be strong for him. If I faultier now then how am suppose to expect him to be strong.

I have tried to reside in the fact that I did everything to protect him and prepare him for the things he cannot control. I think to myself; if that were the case, then what was my 20 years for if he has to finish something I had the opportunity to finish?      

By: Ronald Pope

Ret ;( Sgt/E-5) Army National Guard

© 2013 ron


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Whoa s**t! Every parents worst dread, and you are fully aware of the risks etc. Well written, we feel your anxiety..
"It holds me in a grip that cannot be fought, beaten, negotiated with or otherwise wished away."

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ron

10 Years Ago

Thank you. It took a while for mr to accept the words i wrote. THEy all most elt like some one elses.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

195 Views
1 Review
Added on June 29, 2013
Last Updated on June 29, 2013

Author

ron
ron

Imperial, CA



About
I have been writing on and off or more years than i care to remember. I started writing poetry, than i started a novel (still in the works), now I'm writing a six part short story erotic.. more..

Writing
Fangs. Fangs.

A Poem by ron