The River's Son

The River's Son

A Poem by Rick Puetter
"

Coauthored by Sheila Kline. In memory of Sheila's beloved husband, Barry--The River's Son

"

In memoriam of Barry Kline, beloved husband of our own Sheila Kline of WritersCafe.org, with much respect and love.
The River's Son
 
The Son of the River watched whitewater waves
He knew in his heart that this challenge he'd brave
For this was his passion, a deep inner zeal
He'd risk all assuaging the River's appeal.
 
The struggle would be on The Mighty Lehigh
He'd rush down the mountains with skill keen and spry
He'd lace between rocks and the branches of trees
Boat dipping and tossing, alive and so free!
 
In winter the waters were stopped with their ice
He waited impatient for this was the price
The River extracted from Son brave and true
But spring thaw was coming with pleasures anew.
 
And now late in years, the wild River's Son rests
He longs for his boat and the River to best
No longer he braves the fierce waves of today
But yet in his mind, he continues to play!
 
Oh, River remember your Most Favored Son
To You he gave all when his life was so young!
He cherished Your freedom for all of his life
He thinks of it still in his hours of strife
 
And please rage forever with most frothy churn
It's Your joy of living for which Men most yearn
And when at the end we do lay down to rest
It's You we'll remember and how we were blessed.
 
 
 
©2009 Sheila Kline and Richard Puetter
All rights reserved.

© 2013 Rick Puetter


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Dear Rick!

When I clicked on the forum today to check for messages before leaving for my trip, I found this beautiful, and exquiste tribute that you have written with my sentiments for Barry!

We all have different styles of writing, and when I compare how you have used your wonderful knowledge of meter, and format, and kindness to compose this loving tribute to Barry, I am truly touched and moved to tears! Your heart is so very compassionate that it shines in every word that you have written!

To say I love it is an understatement, to say that it is awesome is an understatement, and I am really quite speechless as to what to say, but THANK YOU!!

You have used my thoughts of him, and sharpened the photo so clearly that it looks as if he is just going to paddle right off the page into the memory of "forever"!

I don't think he could have ever dreamed of this....that his paddling The Lehigh River would ever inspire someone to write such a masterpiece...and it is truly a MASTERPIECE!! I don't think that I ever expected such as this....you are a dear person, and a dear friend to so many here on Writer's Cafe. May you always receive as much kindness and love as you give to others!!

With Sincerest of Appreciation!!
p.s. I am framing this and reading it when we inter his ashes in the fall!!

Sheila

Posted 14 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Rick,
you have penned a beautiful tribute to a brave and mighty rafter/friend. This is just an outstanding piece.
I am sure you made his spouse extremely proud with this lovely poem. Very well done!!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I really liked this poem and any man would like such a triibute
tate

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A wonderful tribute. Being an old "river rat" myself I thoroughly enjoyed this. I've never kayak'd but I have whitewater rafted down the Nantahala and New Rivers. It's great fun. But mostly, I love to swim and fish in the summer months, no pools for me with nasty chlorine, give me a river every time. I'm sure Sheila was greatly moved by this.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is such a wonderful, enduring write here.
Wonderful tribute that was written for Barry.
Very touching and wonderful.
Such peotic grace flows.


Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

very nice rick, it has a nice flow to it!

Posted 14 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A great tribute... the poem flows like the turbulent river waters...

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Rick, I have to agree with shelia on the masterful quality that is a thread weaving itself into a tapestry of memory that brings to mind the special, lively, adventurous, passionate quality that keeps the heart young
and in focus regarding the tribute effect and how we honor those that are close to thought,
this poem is amazing, touching, truthfully invented and soulfully conjured with a sense of joy
that will always be in place when those whose smile brought happiness comes to mind. Wonderful Talent

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Rick this poem is moving just like the white waters.

In my neck of the woods, we have white water rafting, but I've never tried it. My eldest son loves it.

Posted 14 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

Nicely done! I couldn't criticize a tribute to someone deceased, so I'll just say well done and good job. I'm not exactly sure who Barry is, but I thought this would be good tribute to anyone.
Best,
--Andrew


Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 3 people found this review constructive.

There's a clear vision of the subject's adventurous spirit and the meter is appropriately fast moving like the river. A touching tribute.

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 3 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

811 Views
17 Reviews
Added on July 28, 2009
Last Updated on March 29, 2013

Author

Rick Puetter
Rick Puetter

San Diego, CA



About
So what's the most important thing to say about myself? I guess the overarching aspect of my personality is that I am a scientist, an astrophysicist to be precise. Not that I am touting science.. more..

Writing