Blacklight

Blacklight

A Story by Interrupting Dawn
"

This was a story that i wrote for my composition class based off of the two people on the boat on the lollipop wrappers...

"

 

            Walking up the ramp that led to our yacht, I looked back one last time at the land that I was the least bit eager to depart from. The yacht looked quite elegant for its age, having been built in the ‘50’s. The usual stains that the crap in water usually left on boats weren’t etched in on the side of ours. Its name only emphasized its elegance, the Carte Blanche. Its size was that of an average yacht, capable of holding the fifty-three of us juniors, the seven teachers who accompanied us and the ships crew comfortably. This class trip was forced on us because our teachers felt that we weren’t bonding well as a class.

            Stepping onto the boat, I found myself on the stern. I began to look back at the calm water and heard the ships engine roar to life, which could have been replaced by a barn full of tortured horses and no one would have noticed a difference. The rudder on the back of the yacht began to spin slowly, and killed the calm that was the water. The teachers began taking role and I was obliged to respond. Soon after, the boat jerked forward and took off toward the horizon.

            I soon grew bored of the view from the back and turned around to move elsewhere on the yacht. At first glance, I saw that there was a set of stairs that led down to a somewhat large room filled with occupied tables. I was definitely not going to go downstairs to sit in a dark room filled with people that I didn’t even talk to, so I made my way to the second set of stairs. These led up to the deck and the bridge. For one quick second I thought about going to the bridge, just so I could avoid my classmates, but soon realized that the boisterous captain would probably just badger me to the point of insanity. Therefore, I decided to avoid the bridge and its captain and would go up to the deck, so I attempted to make my way up the stairs.

            I found myself immersed in thought about why I had decided to go on this trip. A loud squeal rang through the atmosphere around the ship and a girl ran into me with eager arms, almost pushing me down the stairs. Shocked, I hugged her back and finished scaling the stairs. Directly in front of me was the door to the bridge, and for another second I reconsidered going in, but ignored the thought and started my trek around the walls that encompassed the room. There was a path on either side of the bridge that went to the deck, which took up the majority of the ships surface.

            I looked up at the view from the deck and developed the images before me for the first time. I noticed the darkening clouds above us and saw the obvious signs of impending rain. Under the dark clouds, the water was calm, which suggested that the rain would be very light. The deck was populated by small groups of juniors that were so engrossed in his or her own conversations, that my entrance was, luckily, unnoticed.  I made my way to an empty seat along the left side of the yacht and sat down, pulling out my iPod, which I had hoped would block out the noise of the other students, and make me look too busy to talk to. Unfortunately, people got to me before my strategy was even put into motion.

            Having just transferred to this school, I was engaged by just about everyone and just because I was a new target, capable of being befriended, I was constantly interrogated. I didn’t want for them to hate me, so I just answered the questions as nicely as possible, while still trying to look like I wasn’t enjoying the company of other people, in hopes that would, indeed, leave me alone.

            Squeals echoed from most of the girls as the first drop of rain hit the boat; the drama queens. That one drop was followed by a parade of other drops that spun down the air and danced masterfully until the ground broke its form. The squealers ran to the stairs in hopes that they could make it below deck before their hair was ruined, or so I had thought. The remaining girls followed the drama-queens as though they were servants of the threatened royalty. Alone, the guys realized that they had nothing to do without the girls around and followed like zombies as though they had no other choice. The deck was abandoned and other than the captains irritating singing, it was quiet. I then continued pulling out my iPod and began playing music when I noticed that I wasn’t alone.

            There stood Alec, at the head of the bow, looking into the distance. I had never been introduced to him, but had seen him a few times around school, and had heard others talk about him quite often. He was quiet, or at least, he didn’t talk to anyone I knew. I didn’t know anything about him but I was eager to know everything. The lust that I had to know him and understand him was bewildering. It felt like I had been tied to a set of strings and made into a marionette, being pulled to him. I was genuinely interested in him, and him alone.

            His six foot tall frame looked fragile, yet strong. His clear skin liked as though it was capable of reflecting any image. His unnaturally black hair angled down over his eyebrows, where they came to a faded stop above his eyelids. It looked more like his hair had been composed of silk threads rather than that of human hair. The lack of color in his hair only accentuated the shadows under his eyes, which were glowing with purple and a faint undertone of blue. He didn’t look as tired as the shadows would normally suggest. Instead, it looked as though the shadows were only there to prove that the glassy orbs above them really existed.

            His eyes, like his skin, seemed all too clear, and would glow from the slightest source of light. The iris was composed of a light, serene blue, much like the shallow beach waters on a sunny day, with a ring of brown around the pupil, which drained the blue and pushed a strong wave of grey over the blue. His lips possessed the only color on his face, other than the tones that suggested life in his body. The red that glazed his lips could easily be compared to a rose petal, silky and fragile, like the rest of him. The red was so strong; maybe because of his body’s pale shades of white and toned tints of black. He was the statue in any rose garden, lifeless and gray, easily unseen and cold, yet still perfect.

            Even he being so beautiful, I couldn’t help but pity him. The despair that looked ready to consume him was unbearable, even on those who could only watch him. Whether he was sad or not, he still looked to be so. Being new, I don’t know of his past, but I can tell that the lack of emotion in his eyes only radiates from the loneliness in his heart. I could only think that because his looks bring forth such despair, that his smile has such a shocking impact on the human mind. The only visible light that radiates from within him comes from his smile. The perfect white teeth that were even paler than his skin, which gleamed between his rosy lips, brought life to every feature that he possessed. His cheeks would lift and fill with a soft red blush as his eyes would glow like a beacon in the night. The light radiating from his state of what appeared to be happiness seemed as though it could even blind the dead. Anyone who saw him in this state would only drop his or her chin in awe and stare, looking like a fool.

            After the rain had been falling for about three minutes, he looked up and started to watch the rain fall toward him. I was frozen where I stood. The way the water hit his skin and ran down his cheek bone, curving down his neck. I could only wonder if he looked forward to the rain. Seeing as how it gave him an opportunity to conceal his possible tears without anyone being away of his dirge. Having the opportunity to blend in his tears with those of the clouds, hiding the isolation that was just waiting to break through the surface, to stain his skin and take away his serenity.

            A few minutes later, which could have been days and I wouldn’t have payed any notice, he lowered his head just in time to watch the sun break though the crack between the dark clouds above and the abyssal waters below. The scene before him was beautiful, but the scene before me was incomparable. The light flying away from the sun cut into the clouds and the water like veins and pumped color into them like blood. That magnificence was doubled in his stone eyes. The oranges and pinks that were never in his skin were now painted on top of his skin. The pictures in his eyes could have filled a novel of untold size. The warmth in his face, which I never knew even existed, almost made him look as real as one of us, which could only spark more of my desire to know him. I wanted to be the roses that wound around his picturesque, stone-like frame and watch him forever, encompassing him in warmth. Give every ounce of color in my petals to him, making him look joyful and alive. Make him capable of love.

            “Hi Alec. How are you?”

© 2008 Interrupting Dawn


Author's Note

Interrupting Dawn
please let me know if u see any errors or if something doesn't make sense so i can fix it

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

*ahem*
alrighty. you say yacht way too much... a whole lot, either way. say ship, or boat, switch it up now and again.
uhh... hmm. maybe break up the paragraphs on alec for a bit. theyre a tad cliche, so add some uhh. what do you call them? _cliche_ but _reality_ or something or another like that.
love the ending, liked that a lot. maybe for the title, tie in the tootsie pop wrapper thing?



Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

*ahem*
alrighty. you say yacht way too much... a whole lot, either way. say ship, or boat, switch it up now and again.
uhh... hmm. maybe break up the paragraphs on alec for a bit. theyre a tad cliche, so add some uhh. what do you call them? _cliche_ but _reality_ or something or another like that.
love the ending, liked that a lot. maybe for the title, tie in the tootsie pop wrapper thing?



Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

204 Views
1 Review
Added on November 22, 2008

Author

Interrupting Dawn
Interrupting Dawn

Haymarket, VA



About
HELLO! I like writing a lot, but I don't think I'm good at it, but everyone hates their own work, right? Anyways, I've had writers block for like, evah, so as soon as that passes I'll try to post som.. more..

Writing