Prologue

Prologue

A Story by b.platte
"

Short prologue from a book I work on from time to time.

"

The screams are all around me, filling my buzzing ears with their devastation. The world feels like it's spinning out of control. There goes Adrian swooshing past me. Becca zooms in the opposite direction. Whoa, I’m getting dizzy. I’m far to drunk for this. Is it the alcohol doing this to me?  I do remember polishing off the rest of the captain at the party. Did someone slip me a rufie? That doesn’t happen to dudes right? Something warm and wet smacks against my face. I slowly wipe it off and the dull moonlight reveals the red liquid drenching my fingertips. I rub it between my thumb and index finger. I can feel my brow start to furrow into my confused face.


“Huh.” I grunt. The sound that comes from my throat sounds almost amused, but I’m far from that.

 

Suddenly, a scream of death comes shrieking from my left.

 

“THEY’RE ALL DEAD!”

 

Its Maya. She’s crouched over on the ground, her head in her tan hands. She looks up with another mournful scream and I can barely make our her face… I’ve never seen anyone look so terrified in my entire life.

 

 What is happening?

 

 I spin around to keep up with the world and all I see is shadow figure bodies surrounding the ground around me. My friends are dead beneath me and there’s no sign of Kendra anywhere. Why am I still standing here? Why am I not crying out in agony of the loss? Where’s the pain? Could this be shock? I remember hearing about it before in some CPR class my parents made me go to in 7th grade. I still don’t think being this numb is normal.  I finally steady myself and squint my eyes to see past the darkness of the night. The trees are waving at me frantically and then I catch sight of it- him- a man. He’s glaring at me with his head cocked. The evil is his eyes take my breath away. He doesn't fail to notice this and gives me a slight smirk, daring me to make a move.


There's no chance in hell of that happening. 


He starts towards me and I make no move to run. I don’t think my legs would be able to comprehend that right now. I'm trying to pick out the words that are screaming orders at me in my head. I'm trying to decipher which demands to follow: Run. Play dead. Yell. Attack. 


But then seemingly out of nowhere, in one swift motion his head looks up towards the cloudy night sky and I don’t remember blinking but he’s gone.

 

Again. What the HELL is going on?

© 2012 b.platte


Author's Note

b.platte
For some reason I can't get the format right. The indentations and all that jazz. Oh well. I'd love to see what people think of this, and if anyone would be interested in reading more about what's going on. I know the protagonist wants to know what going on. ;)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Ohhh... that's suspenseful. I have no idea where you're going with this but I'm definitely interested.

Posted 11 Years Ago


This just begs the question, what's next? I can't wait for you to add to this. Just a few suggestions:

"I’m far to drunk for this" to would be changed to too.

I indent every time I hit the enter key. I'm not sure why, or if it's even correct. Either way, just thought I'd let you know since you said you weren't too sure on the formatting. This is everything I feel a prologue should be. It brings up so many questions, it's short, sweet, and a great beginning. Great job, I can't wait to read more. (:

Posted 11 Years Ago


b.platte

11 Years Ago

Thanks for that catch! And yeah, it wouldn't let me backspace. Idk.

I'm glad you liked.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

258 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 13, 2012
Last Updated on September 13, 2012

Author

b.platte
b.platte

About
I write because it makes the day worth while. :) more..

Writing
Reflection Reflection

A Story by b.platte