Going Against a Legacy

Going Against a Legacy

A Story by Eric Shomo
"

another sample from one of my classes. It is a rhetorical narrative and analysis.

"

Eric Shomo

8 September 2011

ENG 111 Straight

Rehtorical Narrative/Analysis

Going Against a Legacy

Until the spring of my senior year in high school, I was learning and looking through the eyes of two Ohio University graduates.  Both of my parents attended the university, got their degrees, and secured successful jobs within their distinctive companies.  It was clear that their education from their college experience helped them get to that point (and that they wanted the same for me as their child); but I wanted to be different.  I saw myself at another school �" not at Ohio University.  Thus, the quest to convince my parents that their alma mater was not the right fit for me began at a critical moment which has proven thus far to have a positive impact on my life.

            When I was just a little kid, my parents would take my sister and me to visit the campus.  It was absolutely beautiful, and perfect in its own special way.  I loved the structure of the buildings and the outline of the campus itself.  The people in Athens were also very friendly and genuine.  Since my parents had attended college there, I felt that due to the fact I was so accustomed and used to everything on the campus, I would go to college there someday as well.  However, when I visited Miami University in the fall of 2010, I quickly began to see myself as a Redhawk rather than a Bobcat.

            It was somewhat strange for my parents to hear me talk about Miami University all the time after my visit.  There was something that intrigued me about Miami.  Sure, the students seemed stuck up and over-dressed, but there was something of another dimension that pulled me in closer.  I felt secure academically, and trusted that many more resources would be made available to me.  It was hard explaining this to my parents because all they had ever known was the university they came from (so of course they would be biased).  Plus, it had always been expected that I would go to OU.

            Matters quickly became more complicated when I received a letter in the mail from OU around March of 2011.  The letter was from the Dean of the Business School at OU.  He explained that I had been selected as a Copeland Scholar.   I would receive substantial financial benefits as well as extra attention from the professors (the Copeland Scholars Program was the most prestigious program within the Business School).  He convinced me that this Honors Business Program would provide me with excellent connections with some of the top corporations in the world.  It seemed like a simple response �" but it was not.

            Something about Miami made me have doubts about OU.  Although I did not receive any scholarship money or get into the business school as a direct admit to the program, I felt comfortable with the school’s reputation.  I knew Miami University was one of the top schools for marketing, which would be my major.  My parents could tell that I was having a constant battle in my head because it was affecting my every-day attitude.  They knew that the time had come to sit down and make a decision.

            In May of 2011, my parents and I made our way into the conference room at my mom’s office.  It was not my location of choice, but I did not complain because I knew it would be a great place to lay out the pros and cons of each school (there were three very large four foot by eight foot white boards stretched across the room).  I was fairly nervous because I knew I had to make a decision if not that day, then very soon.  The pressure was on.  As we sat down, my father informed me that he was very proud of how I had handled the situation up to that point, and that he would support my thought process and, ultimately, my decision.

            We began by breaking our discussions up by topic.  We compared the business programs, social clubs, tuition cost, reputation, and the overall ranking of each institution.  We represented Ohio University with a green marker and Miami University with a red marker.  I remember that throughout the entire discussion, there always seemed to be more green markings on the “pros” side of the board (I think my parents made a huge effort to make sure that this was the case).  Every time I noticed this I felt my stomach drop.  That feeling was all I needed to make my decision.  I knew that if I felt queasy when I saw that there were more “pros” for OU, both my mind and my heart (and obviously my stomach) were on the same page.  At that exact moment, I put down the markers and began to sell my parents on Miami.

            I described how I felt, and it all came from the heart.  Miami’s campus has the ability to attract certain people right away.  I explained to them that I was one of those people.  Then I provided my parents with statistics including retention rates, graduation rates, and job success.  Miami topped Ohio University in each category by a significant value.  My mom and dad continued to listen intently as I walked them through what I pictured my life would be like at Miami.  They were impressed.   I had won them over with my true feelings as well as numbers and facts �" or at least I thought I had.

            At the end of my spiel, my parents suggested that we take a “vote,” so that we could all have an idea of where each person thought I would succeed the most based on the list we had made on the white boards.  After that we cleaned up, walked out of the office, headed towards the car, and then I asked the big question.  “Hey, dad, can I see the results of the vote?”  My dad had already viewed the results, which only consisted of the three of us.  Without a word, he handed me the three sheets of paper.  My mom’s read, Ohio University: Go Bobcats!  Then my dad’s: Ohio University: Less money, more attention.  I felt horrible.  I had chosen Miami.

            At first I thought my parents were mad at me.   After all, there had been more positive aspects of OU than there were for Miami.  Had I disappointed them?  Had I given them the impression that I was blind or dumb for choosing the wrong school?  Had I not persuaded them enough or made it clear that Miami was a much better selection?  My mind was in a blur.  However, a few days later, my parents assured me that my decision is what mattered, and that they were happy I chose Miami.  Based on the information I had given them, they were comfortable with going forward and paying for my tuition at Miami University.

            I will be completely honest and say that it is very interesting to think back and analyze how exactly I was able to persuade my parents.  Perhaps it was all of the facts I provided them.  Maybe it was my ability to speak what was on my mind and what I was feeling.  It was certainly difficult to do so, but in a sense I just winged it (and there is no denying it).  Despite that being the case, I felt that my delivery was professional.  I felt almost as if I was presenting an idea to a big-name company.  Therefore, I would say that my methods of proof consisted mainly of pathos and ethos.  My argument was almost completely based off of my emotions.  However, I was a credible source for my parents because I have such a wonderful relationship with them as their son.  Therefore, they were inclined to listen because, after all, it was my future we were talking about. 

            Overall, the style of my argument was neither very organized nor very well thought out.  However, I got my point across, and it proved to be very worthwhile.  I can truly say that after being at Miami University now for over two weeks, I could not imagine myself at any other school.  One thing I took away from my experience was that my words and actions can have a powerful impact on an important situation, even when the circumstances might appear to lead me in a different direction.  

            To this day, I do not regret one bit choosing Miami University as the place where I will grow in the next four years.  My whole life had been centered around visiting Ohio University and talking about Ohio University on a constant basis.  However, now I have a chance to see what college is all about from a different perspective �" my own.  Looking back, it was all one hundred percent worth my time and effort.  If I had given up trying to convince my parents that Miami was a better place for me, I would be at a school where perhaps I would not thrive half as much as I know I will here in Oxford.  I am proud to say that I am a Miami Redhawk…for life.

© 2012 Eric Shomo


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

95 Views
Added on June 15, 2012
Last Updated on June 15, 2012

Author

Eric Shomo
Eric Shomo

OH



About
I have a very strong interest in Public Relations and an even stronger interest in writing, which is the main reason why I joined this site. more..

Writing