A Widow's End

A Widow's End

A Stage Play by ~Sorcha~
"

just a monologue i wrote one time hehe

"

(Stage alights and widow enters DL stage. Walks towards center stage, then gazes into the crowd as if her deceased husband is standing there waiting for her to speak first)

Widow: My darling husband, how long it has been since you have passed. In these five years, I have slowly withered away into a batty old woman, wishing only to be left to my memories. Yet our daughter wishes to take me home like a pet cat!(Throws hands exasperatedly into the air. Sighs.) Sometimes I wonder what our lives would be like if you were still here; the good lord took you away from me too soon.

(Paces slowly to the left of the stage, then back to center) Only five years have gone by, yet it seems like all eternity has passed. Ironic, isn’t it? I had always complained how time had passed too quickly, and now I am alone, it seems years pass with each second.(Laughs softly) You on the other hand always said I shouldn’t complain because life was too short. You were right about one thing, life is too short, which you know so well now.

(Paces to the right of the stage, stop for a moment, looking back into the crowd as if expectant for a reply, then continue pacing back towards center) I remember that day well. It was our anniversary, so how could I ever forget. You were coming home with that beautiful necklace I had so yearned for. It had been raining that day; a light drizzle at first, but then it was pouring. The angels were mourning your fate I’m sure. You said you had always disliked drinking, and thought that there ought to have been a law against alcohol. If all the world had listened to you, you would still be here with me. A drunk twenty-one year old boy, new to the world of legal alcohol, so stupid in his choices. He is the one to live with the regret of being your death, he alone has passed me in the grocery store knowing that I am alone because of his recklessness. (No trace of anger in her voice, only that of pity)

He is a good boy, I know you would forgive him. Some lambs will stray, but the shepherd will always lead them back. As the shepherd leads his flock, I will be lead back to you soon my dearest. Our love will stretch across every inch of universe if only to unite us once more. So wait for me, I am coming to be with you soon; my husband, my love, my soul mate… (walks towards back of stage and lights fade)

© 2008 ~Sorcha~


My Review

Would you like to review this Stage Play?
Login | Register




Reviews

Nice! Reading through you can get a strong sense of the character's voice! I'm eager to start digging into your other stuff, even if I'm a little late to the party.

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

166 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on March 21, 2008

Author

~Sorcha~
~Sorcha~

Kaiserslautern, Germany (deployment), WA



About
I like to write; these past few years I have just hit writer's block after block. There are so many things in my life I could write about, but I can still never seem to find the words for any of it. .. more..

Writing
Requerrence Requerrence

A Chapter by ~Sorcha~


The Masque The Masque

A Book by ~Sorcha~