To the one I love

To the one I love

A Story by Althea Tremaine
"

This was a short piece written under this prompt: Write a love letter to someone, but as you are writing, you cannot seem to remember a thing about them. Me being a romantic, this was the result.

"
To the one I love:

I write today with nothing but love for you. I know our love was brief. I know it was long ago... But my love persists even today.

I have tried to remember the first time I ever saw you, but cannot. Was it day or night? Was it in the winter or the summer? I tried to remember whether your skin glimmered in the moonlight or whether your scent made my heart skip a beat, but I just can't. Yet, the thought of you, my dear, fills my heart to its seams.

Oh, darling. I want to remember running my fingers through your hair as I loved you once, but I can't seem to remember how each strand felt between my hands. I want to remember what it felt like to lean in and kiss your lips as we said goodbye-- were they soft, like an angel's lips, or were they rough and reassuring? Did I stand on my tiptoes to reach you or did you lean down to reach me? My mind has erased all of these memories of you, yet I long for your touch and your embrace.

Oh, dear. Why is it that, try as I might, I cannot remember knowing who you are-- or even what I loved about you-- but my heart cries out for you?

I suppose what I'm asking, darling, is whether you want to remind me.

© 2015 Althea Tremaine


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

199 Views
Added on January 10, 2015
Last Updated on January 10, 2015
Tags: love, letters, short, flash