prologue

prologue

A Chapter by smee

Torches burned low, the heat in the room was unbearable. Already the sun was starting to rise in the east, and still no babe. Persephone breathed heavily and groaned clutching the blankets beneath her, midwifes surrounding her began to buzz with excitement.

“Breath through it, relax just let it happen. The next time you need to push daughter.” Feeling her stomach again to confirm the babe was in the right place; Demeter sat back in her chair. Looking over the fresh linens and the crib making sure everything was ready for the new arrival she contented her self to wait for the next contraction. The babe had finally turned and now was the time and not a moment to soon. She didn’t know how much longer Persephone would last.

Persephone began to moan again and her breathing became irregular.

“Ok I need you to push Persephone! I need you to push with all your might, through the pain!”

“AH, I can’t…! Persephone breathed and cried out in pain again. One of the midwifes standing on her right dabbed at her forehead with a wet cloth and made soothing reassuring noses at her.

“You have to try daughter now! Push!”

“AHHH!”

“Good Persephone, good, give me another one. Now push now. Good, I can almost see the head.” Demeter motioned for some fresh linen then turned back to her daughter. Finally Persephone gave birth to a beautiful girl.

“What will you name her?” Demeter asked softly handing the cleaned babe girl to her mother for the first time.

Persephone was speechless with her precious new bundle in her arms. Finally finding her voice, “Calissa.”.

 “That’s a beautiful name. the most beautiful right?”

“Yes, and she will be if I can keep her from him…”

Silence filled the room, only the sounds of the new born could be heard.

 

The underworld, Hades Castel

 

“Hermes, what do you want?” the god of the dead was not pleased to see the arrogant messenger.

“My lord. I have come to congratulate you on behalf of all the Olympians, on the birth of you first child.” Bowing with a fools grin he waited for his reaction. Hades was stunned into silence.

“My… my child? Do you mock me Hermes? I am in no mood for your games. Now tell me the truth of what you speak! Quickly…” rising from his place on his throne he slowly made his way down the smooth black steps to tower over Zeus’s dog.

Gulping Hermes took an inviolately step back.

“I thought this might happen, hear” handing the god a scroll he explained as Hades unrolled and peered over it.

“It’s Persephone, Demeter, and that in her arms wrapped in the golden silk is Calissa her new born babe girl. She gave birth early this morning shortly after sunrise, but they say she was in labor most of the night. I don’t think it was an easy birth.” Hades if possible became even whiter and as Hermes studied him-slowly gave way to a deep red. He had never seen so much color in the god before.

“Are you sure of this?” Hades looked deathly serous

“Yes.”

“Was I not to be told? Did she really think she could keep something like this from me? Me the God of the Dead Who Have No Secrets! How dare her! That child is mine!” turning swiftly, flaring out his ragged, tarnished, and all but decaying robs behind him like and angry peacock as he left the room. Hermes couldn’t help but notice how the room became brighter the farther the God retreated into his domain to plain his revenge.

“Poor Persephone, you’ve really done it now…”

Shaking his head he turned to leave. There was much to do before Hades made his move and now time was wasting.

 

Persephone’s home in the world of men

 

Persephone heard nothing from the Underworld she naively thought she had succeeded and had kept her precious Calissa a secret. But now the coal-black horses would come for her any day now. she had already left three month old Calissa with her mother in an out of the way village only the tow of them carried enough about to know where it was.

Suddenly a cold wind blew forcing open the doors and in through all the windows with it came the piercing cries of the undead horses, filling the house.

“Persephone…” the chilling voice of Hades filled her with dread, sending shivers through-out her body.

The fire that was once so hot and burning brightly now was barely a glow. Hades dark figure filled the door way. He carried the air of the dead no matter where he went it seemed, even the very floor he stood on decade just a little.

Collecting herself she dared to look him in the face, his eyes smoldered with such hate and distain… she knew he knew. Never before had she seen him look at her like this, in truth she never thought he could. Hades did a lot of things but she knew he loved her and would never heart her, but right now she wasn’t so sure.

“What news from you? Have you enjoyed your time… here?” making his way to her he stopped inches from touching her. She could feel his cold aura permeating around her. Peering into her eyes making her look at him so she couldn’t run away he demanded an answer with his entire being.

“No, nothing especially, mother and I have had fun.” Shifting uneasily she tried to give him a smile but it came out forced and weak. Wanting to be anywhere but here she tried to turn away but he caught her by the shoulders and forced her to face him, gripping so tightly she winced in pain.

“Is that all?”

Now she was sure he knew. “You can’t have her! I have put her somewhere you will never find her! She is mine you will ne-“slapping her so hard her lip burst open he let her fall to the ground weeping.

“I expect you today in our home. (Bending low to make sure she heard and looked at him) We will see my beloved, we will see.” Standing he left her in a huddle weeping. It broke his heart and her words had cut deep, she would regret this they both new.

Picking up the rains of his horses in his chariot he headed for Olympus.



© 2012 smee


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

137 Views
Added on September 14, 2012
Last Updated on September 14, 2012


Author

smee
smee

Santa Fe, TX



About
i have been writing since i was little, and i have always liked coming up with stories even though my grammar isn't the best. thank god for word check. more..

Writing
prologue prologue

A Chapter by smee