The Tree

The Tree

A Story by oneZtwoLLs

Driving past the twinkling lights of downtown, Randy thought about what he and his mother would do to celebrate this year.

 

“Mom, will we have a tree?”

 

Because his attention was focused out the drizzle-streaked window, Randy didn’t notice the cringe that momentarily passed across his mother’s face.

 

Joanna managed to muster up her confidence. “Well, sweetheart, I think I’ve got an idea.”

 

Randy and Joanna slipped off the bus onto the crowded curbside and began their mile-long trek home. Today was Christmas Eve, and they were going home to an empty apartment, much different than their home of previous years.

 

Randy ran up all three flights of stairs and burst into the apartment. “Hurry up, mom!” he said breathlessly. “What’re we going to do?”

 

Joanna had been wracking her brain since the moment she professed to having an idea, and suddenly it hit her:  Green plastic hangers. She had tons of them left-over from the drive their community held for them after the fire.

 

Calmly and with a twinkle in her eye, Joanna told Randy to gather as many of the hangers as he could. She had a surprise.

 

With the unquestioning trust of a child, Randy ran to the room he shared with his mother, climbed over the bedding, and reached for the box of hangers in the back of the tiny closet.

 

With every ounce of strength in his little arms, Randy grabbed side of the box and pulled. He managed to drag the box out of the corner and heave it over the mattress on the floor.

 

Huffing from the effort, Randy proclaimed, “I got ‘em, mom! What now?”

 

Joanna took the first hanger and hung it from the plant-hook in front of the window. She helped Randy reach up and hang two more hangers from the first one, then three more from those.

 

“I see it now, mommy! We’re making our tree!”

 

Joanna and Randy worked in silence, cascading hangers in a triangular shape until they reached the floor.

 

As they stepped back to admire their handiwork, only then did they notice how the lights from the neighboring complex shown through the hanger-tree, giving it the illusion of illumination.

 

“Mommy, it’s beautiful! Daddy would have loved it, wouldn’t he?”

 

“Yes, darling, he would.”

 

After Randy was tucked in bed, Joanna placed a few gifts she had gathered underneath the make-shift tree. She wasn’t worried about his happiness anymore. Witnessing how a tree made from hangers had provided him with happiness, she was now positive the less-than-new toys would be perfect for her less-than-perfect family.

 

 

 

 

 

© 2008 oneZtwoLLs


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Reading your story, reminded me, of how the past two Christmas have been very hard for me on an emotional and financial level. Realizing that your family doesn't understand and fears you, for being honest to yourself. A simple gift means more than a $100 Christmas tree. Especially, one that is made from love and compassion, as the tree in the story. Thank you for reminding this to me, all over again. Life is not simple material goods but how we share the spirit within ourselves with those around us. Thank you for sharing this short story with us.

Therisa

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I knew this was based on some truth. It is just like a real mommy to think beyonds the means of ordinary to bring a child some happiness in whatever way shape or form. I have been there. One year all I could get was a gigantic stuffed monkey from the salvation army for me teenage son. I prayed he could find happiness in this. To this day he has his monkey dressed in Cnady up the writst and one pierced him earing. Yes a trendy monkey. I know what it is to want happiness for a child.

I so loved that you wrote this during this christmas season. We all need to find the real reason for gift giving and the true meaning of the birth of Christ and his ultimate sacrifice. Peace to You Roxy

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is very beautiful. What a creative way to make a tree. Showing even with little money you can find a way to bring christmas to your home. Presents and a big tree doesn't make the holiday special! A heart warming piece.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

274 Views
3 Reviews
Added on February 5, 2008

Author

oneZtwoLLs
oneZtwoLLs

MO



About
I write. Not so often here, but elsewhere. more..

Writing
Rambling Rambling

A Story by oneZtwoLLs