Fresh Air

Fresh Air

A Poem by Sophia
"

This is a poem about the first time I met someone

"
I remember the countless bodies moving to the music, swaying back and forth to the beat.
The smell of hairspray, perfume, and sweat filling the air.
Bare feet, laughter, bowties, corsages; prom night.
I remember the overwhelming feeling of meeting everyone- being paraded around struggling to remember names and faces.
I remember the music getting a little too loud, rippling through my body, shaking my chest.
I remember needing fresh air.
Then-
I remember seeing you.
I remember the silence; the haunting sound of my own heart beating.
The bodies disappeared into the darkness around me, leaving a tunnel of light on you.
I remember approaching you, exchanging glances, introductions, playing the name game.
I remember the feeling of warmth, an unexplainable wave of happiness filling my body.
We were strangers, weren't we? 
So why did it feel like we had met before, like we had known each other forever?
My heart was about to beat out of my chest, my mind was racing, hands shaking, all in the short time it took us to meet.
It was like we were the only two people in the room- only us.
Life was happening around me, people dancing and laughing, but seeing you was in slow motion.
I couldn't take my eyes off of you; the smile, the dimples, the eyes, the lips, all without flaw.
The moment I laid my eyes on you, I knew.
I knew you'd be something special, and special you were.
You were my fresh air.

© 2017 Sophia


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

very well done :) it was incredible how you were able to talk about how you met someone on how they change your life :) amazing job :)

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You expressed it so beautifully , like I was there
I like it

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I really liked this...I felt like a fly on the wall...your visualizations were excellent ...you tweaked all our senses...we were there
nice


Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

170 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 26, 2017
Last Updated on December 26, 2017

Author

Sophia
Sophia

OH



About
I'm a college student. I don't write often unless it's about something that's important to me or that I hold close to my heart. I'm not a good writer necessarily, but I don't think I'm bad either, jus.. more..


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..