Demonstrations of Humanity

Demonstrations of Humanity

A Screenplay by spence
"

A modern day Robin Hood story.

"

TEXT: PART ONE: THE DEMONSTRATORS

 

FADE IN:

 

EXT. GHETTOS SUPERMARKET. DAY

 

Two hooded youngsters, late teens (YOUTH#1 and YOUTH#2) are raking through the large industrial bins inside the gated delivery entrance of the supermarket- picking out choice items of discarded food and placing them in their coat pockets. TERRY, a heavily built security guard comes running around the corner and begins opening the gates.

 

NARRATOR/DAVID (V.O.)

(simultaneous)

The society we live in can be summarised thus; most people have rules imposed upon them… those who make the rules need not heed them- those paid to enforce the rules are only accountable to those who make the rules. This is an account of what happens when the ruled also refuse to play by the rules…

 

On hearing the gate open the YOUTH #1 leaps from the bins.

 

TERRY

(running while holding his pants up)

Oi! Get out of there, you bloody scavengers!

 

YOUTH#1

(helping YOUTH#2 out of the bin and giggling)

Hurry up- Fatman’s coming!

 

The youths run to the wall on the other side of the enclosure and help each other climb to the top. Once they’re out of reach Terry stops running.

 

TERRY

(pointing up to the youths on the wall)

Try getting a job then you can come in the shop and buy food like normal people!

 

YOUTH #2

(from the top of the wall)

Be a slave like you, you mean? Try getting a life, dipshit!

 

YOUTH #1

You look lovely in your uniform though, Fatman!

 

Both youths laugh as they drop out of sight over the wall.

 

TERRY

(exasperated)

If… if I catch you in here again, I swear I’ll… I’ll… oh what’s the point?

 

FADE TO

 

FADE IN

 

INT. GHETTOS SUPERMARKET- DAY. CONTINUOUS

 

DAVID (tall, thin, middle aged and grey haired, satchel hanging by its strap from shoulder to thigh), shuffles up the aisle toward KIRSTY (Short, stout, late 30’s and mousy haired, dressed in Ghetto’s uniform) the product demonstrator standing at her stall at the top of the freezer aisle. Shoppers glare, laugh and snort at the sight of what appears to be a drunk, homeless man wearing an old dirty suit.

 

KIRSTY

Hello David. How are you today?

 

DAVID

I am absolutely fantastic thank you, Kirsty and how are you feeling this glorious morning?

 

KIRSTY

Hmmm… like a slave trapped within an inherently corrupt and inhumane capitalist system?

 

DAVID

It is extremely regrettable to hear such unfortunate news, and please accept my most heartfelt condolences, but that aside… what have you on offer to break the fast of my most recent slumber?

 

 

 

KIRSTY

Yeah- I suppose I should be grateful- at least I’m getting paid to be a slave- not like the poor buggers working for their dole money (gestures to a group of young people stacking shelves behind her)

 

DAVID

Just desserts will be served before long, my dear- first course first though, eh?

 

KIRSTY

(handing a half filled Ghettos carrier bag to David)

Of course- breakfast is served, Mr Gibson. Cheese, crackers, olives and a selection of fine fruit preserves for afters

 

DAVID

(taking the bag)

You are too kind, Miss Francis. Where, oh where have you been all of my life?

 

MIKE the store manager (early 30’s, medium height and build) and Terry approach from behind. David notices them, salutes Kirsty and makes to walk away

 

DAVID

Until we meet again…

 

MIKE

(abruptly)

How many times have I told you to stay out of the store?

 

DAVID

(looking down, bemused)

I’m not certain, Michael… a dozen or so I’d imagine

 

MIKE

(looking up, threateningly)

It was a rhetorical question… and don’t call me Michael- in fact- don’t talk to me at all.

 

 

 

TERRY

(taking hold of David by his arm)

C’mon mate- you know your lot aren’t allowed in here…

 

 

DAVID

(pulling his arm away from Terry’s grasp)

My lot? Hmm… interesting notion. Would you, by chance, be referring to the human species, my good fellow?

 

MIKE

(as Terry takes hold of David again)

No- he means no good, layabout scroungers like you. If I’ve told you once, I’ve told you a thousand times- this store is for paying customers only. So… you’re… not… welcome

 

Mike and Terry begin to drag David down the aisle. David struggles, his satchel and the carrier bag swinging in the fray.

 

DAVID

(loudly, disturbing the shoppers nearby)

Kindly unhand me- I’m capable of walking out of my own accord…

 

KIRSTY

Let him go, Mike- he always leaves when you ask him to.

 

MIKE

Maybe he wouldn’t feel able to come in here without your encouragement? And what’s this?

 

Mike grabs the bag in David’s grasp. David resists and pulls back. The bag splits and food falls all over the tiled floor. Mike punches David in the stomach. David doubles up in pain, but is held up by his assailants.

 

KIRSTY

Cowards! You’re no better than bullies in a playground!

 

 

 

MIKE

We’re going to have a serious discussion about your conduct when I get back, Miss Francis. I want to see you in my office in five.

 

MIKE

(to a shelf stacker)

And you- yeah, you- Billie-Anne? I want this mess cleaned up, pronto.

 

Mike and Terry drag the winded David toward the exit. Kirsty turns away from the demonstrator stall in the opposite direction- clearly upset by the incident. Several young people approach her, asking if she and David are okay, to which Kirsty nods to the affirmative. She speaks to BILLIE ANNE.

 

KIRSTY

You take care, Billie-Anne

 

BILLIE-ANNE

Is he going to sack you?

 

KIRSTY

I hope so- I can’t stand being around the jumped up little prick much longer.

 

BILLIE-ANNE

We’ll miss you. When will we see you again?

 

KIRSTY

Not long- give it a few weeks. Remember the strategy and just play the game for a bit- it’ll be right.

 

INT. MIKES OFFICE- DAY

 

Kirsty is alone in the office. She goes behind the desk and takes a key from a bunch hanging up next to a framed photo of a management qualification. She places the key in her trouser pocket below her uniform then steps back to the other side of the desk just as the door opens and Mike enters. He strolls over to his desk and sits on it facing Kirsty.

 

MIKE

 Now then, Kirsty- what on earth was all that about?

 

 

KIRSTY

I’m not sure I understand, Mike. What are you referring to exactly?

 

MIKE

(in a ‘sing-song’ voice)

I… think… you… know… exactly… what… I… mean

 

KIRSTY

(mimicking his tone contemptuously)

I’m… afraid… I… don’t!’

 

(disgruntled pause and contesting eye contact)

 

MIKE

I would have thought pre-packing a tramp’s free lunch at the company’s expense was a glaringly obvious error on your part. Or am I missing something here?

 

KIRSTY

It was a free breakfast actually, Mike and it was yesterday’s stock that would have only been thrown away otherwise

 

MIKE

Are you confessing to giving out of sell-by date food stuffs, Kirsty?

 

KIRSTY

No Mike- I’m telling you that I gave perfectly edible food to a man who has no money or home. You know- the man you hit in the stomach and dragged out of the shop in agony?

 

MIKE

I think perhaps you’re exaggerating the truth ever so slightly there, Kirsty- now I understand that you’re upset- it was a terrifying ordeal for all of us, but Terry and I had reason to believe that Mr Gibson intended him, me and you harm. It was nothing more than an act of self-defence.

 

 

KIRSTY

I think surveillance footage might put paid to the idea that I was exaggerating, Mike. That whole situation was just plain wrong- you go on like a tyrant.

 

MIKE

(standing abruptly from the desk and approaching Kirsty)

I’ll tell you what I think is wrong, shall I? You started working here around 8 weeks ago, yeah? Your homeless and hungry ‘friend’ appeared not long after… not to mention the other worthless wretches raiding the skips in the loading bay recently… now I’m not really sure what you believe your employment role to be, Kirsty, but let me remind you that this is a soup- err- market, not a soup kitchen.

 

KIRSTY

(mumbled)

O the wit!

 

MIKE

Excuse me?

 

KIRSTY

Listen, Mike- my position with Ghetto’s has nothing to do with this or the assault on David- that was your doing. I used my own time to prepare him a parcel of food, he was hungry and…

 

MIKE

(haughtily)

You will find, Miss Francis that you have in fact stolen Ghettos’ stock and given it to an individual who has been banned from entering the premises. Not only does that constitute two counts of gross misconduct, but the company may feel it prudent to make an example of you and prosecute you for theft.

 

 

KIRSTY

(open mouthed)

Oh…

 

MIKE

You see, your position is startlingly simple. You have two choices: You can resign your post and leave the premises immediately or you can wait for my report to be filed and the aforementioned action to take place in due course. It’s company policy to pursue legal action against theft, so I would take door number one if I were you.

 

Kirsty looks to Mike, defeated. Mike grins victoriously

 

MIKE

I think we should skip the part where you beg me to reconsider and burst into tears when I won’t. It gets awfully embarrassing for all concerned, besides- you were quite willing to testify to something that would have almost certainly seen me lose my job.

 

Mike walks to the door and opens it to show Kirsty the way out.

MIKE

I think you would agree that it’s best if we part company from this point, don’t you think Miss Francis? I’d like to say it’s been a pleasure, but it truly, honestly hasn’t. If you could hand in your uniform on the way out I’d be ever so grateful.

 

FADE TO

 

TEXT: PART TWO: THE STRATEGY

 

TEXT: FOUR WEEKS LATER…

 

EXT. GHETTOS CAR PARK. NIGHT.

Four white vans drive into parking zones while KIRSTY (dressed in ragged, dirty clothing and a hooded top pulled up) walks into the store through the automatic entrance.

 

CUT TO:

 

INT. GHETTOS- CONTINUOUS

MIKE is on the shop floor berating BILLIE-ANNE as she stands behind the product demonstration stall. Billie-Anne is close to tears as KIRSTY approaches, pointing her finger and shouting as if drunk.

 

KIRSTY

You leave that girl alone you horrible b*****d!

 

Mike looks around, embarrassed and confused as shoppers turn their attention to him and his accuser. Billie-Anne begins to weep at his side.

 

 

MIKE

Ex… excuse me?

 

KIRSTY

(furiously)

You, you coward! You get your kicks bullying bits of kids! You sacked me, made me homeless and now you’re making that young girl feel s**t when she doesn’t even get paid for doing my old job!

 

MIKE

Kirsty? What the f…?

 

Terry runs between the checkouts toward Kirsty. Kirsty spins to face him.

 

KIRSTY

And you can keep your hands off me as well you bloody lackey…

 

Shocked by the sudden movement Terry slides on the polished floor and bumps into Kirsty. She begins to swear and scream as she falls under his sprawling weight. SHOPPER (male, well built, shaven head) leaves his wife and trolley at the frozen pizzas and intervenes by pulling Terry back from the fallen woman.

 

SHOPPER

Hey, roboplod- take it easy

 

 

 

KIRSTY

(pointing up from the floor to Terry and holding her cheek)

He hit me! The b*****d hit me!

 

TERRY

(holding his hands up as Shopper pulls him away)

It was an accident, I fell.

 

SHOPPER 2, medium build, mid 40’s stood by baked beans in next aisle, shouts across the freezer to the security guard.

 

SHOPPER 2

A bloody likely story- I’ve seen you two harassing people in here before!

 

Curious shoppers begin to push their trolleys toward the aisle to watch- some of them recording the scene on mobile phones.

 

 

MIKE

Everything’s under control! If everyone could just get back on with their shopping now- thank you.

 

SHOPPER’S WIFE

So why’s this thug going around hitting defenceless women? And why are you telling that girl off so much that she’s crying? Is that how you control things here?

 

SHOPPER 2  

(stepping around the aisles to stand beside Shopper and his wife)

Yeah- do you get off on hitting women and kids or summink?

 

MIKE

This is an internal matter regarding a disgruntled ex-employee- nothing more. Kirsty here was dismissed for gross mis…

 

KIRSTY

(standing up, using the freezer to hold her weight)

He sacked me for giving unwanted food to a homeless man… and then he hit him!

 

 

BILLIE-ANNE

(sobbing)

It’s true! I saw it- Kirsty didn’t do anything wrong and now I have to do her job and I don’t even get paid. I wouldn’t shop here if I were you.

 

Some of the watching customers begin to cat-call, boo and yell obscenities while walking away, leaving their trolleys behind and vowing to never shop in Ghettos again. The two intervening shoppers, Shopper’s wife and four other males stay and surround the scene. The lights in the shop flicker on and off several times as most customers leave the standoff in the supermarket.

 

SHOPPER

(to Terry)

I think you owe that woman an apology

 

SHOPPER 2

(to Mike)

And you owe them both an apology!

 

The lights flicker again, continually in fluctuating rhythms this time. Everyone looks up to the ceiling while Mike scrambles through his pockets for his mobile phone. He brandishes the phone toward Shopper 2 and three others who are encroaching on his space.

 

MIKE

Hey now! Listen- back off or I’ll be forced to call the police. Terry and I were perfectly within our rights to…

 

Shopper 2 punches Mike who falls to the floor, dropping the phone. Terry begins to struggle and Shopper drops him to the floor with the help of his wife and another two male shoppers. Kirsty goes to Billie-Anne and they both run into the rear of the shop. The lights go out. Mike and Terry scream.

 

CUT TO:

 

EXT. GHETTOS CAR PARK- NIGHT- CONTINUOUS

A young person wearing a hooded top fires a crossbow at the large electrical junction box high on the wall of Ghettos. It becomes the third arrow embedded there. Two other youths are firing at close-circuit cameras situated atop lampposts and the roof of the supermarket.

A voice calls out ‘Go’ and dozens of youths wearing hooded tops run into the car park. Some head to the trolleys and use bolt-cutters to snap the chains. Each takes a trolley and rushes toward the delivery entrance. The four vans pull out of their bays and head toward the gates.

DAVID emerges from the leading van and unlocks the gates with the key Kirsty took from Mike’s office.

David climbs back into the van while the youths push trolleys into the deliveries bay. The vans follow as the warehouse shutters lift open. Kirsty and Billie-Anne are on the inside and begin to usher in the trolley pushers while telling them where different items are stored.

 

BILLIE-ANNE

Payday at last!

 

KIRSTY

Yeah- for a lot of people that need one. Thank you, Billie-Anne- we couldn’t have done this without you.

 

BILLIE-ANNE

Does that mean I can come with you?

 

DAVID

(suddenly emerging from behind the pair)

I think you’ll be valuable addition to The Strategy- we need people like you.

 

Billie-Anne shrieks with delight and hugs Kirsty. David pats both their shoulders and heads back to the van.

 

DAVID

Best get a move on though, girls- we’ve got to be in and out quick.

 

Trolley pushers emerge, laden from the warehouse and steer toward the vans- each with sliding side doors and rear doors opened. The youths begin to unload the trolleys and then take the empties to the automatic doors and stack them as an improvised barricade. Shopper, his wife and Shopper 2 emerge from the warehouse carrying bottles of wine and spirits in their arms.

 

SHOPPER 2

(winking to Kirsty who looks askance)

I think we’ve earned a drink or two, lover

 

KIRSTY

You won’t be anyone’s lover after that and, hey- you shouldn’t have hit him. That was unnecessary.

 

SHOPPER 2

Sorry, babe, husband’s prerogative

 

CUT TO:

 

The vans are filled with a miscellany of items- trolleys are emptied and doors are slammed closed. The hooded youths make off in various directions as the vans pull out of the car park and drive away.

CUT TO:

 

David (driving), Kirsty and Billie Anne, side by side in the front of the leading van of the four

 

BILLIE-ANNE

So… what happens now?

 

DAVID

We drop off our haul then we lie low for a while.

 

BILLIE-ANNE

Where will we go?

 

KIRSTY

Somewhere safe- don’t worry, we’re good at this.

 

BILLIE-ANNE

So- what do we do? Just, like hide…?

 

DAVID  

We wait and plan a new strategy. Details of the next target are in here (pats the satchel now between the seats) we just need to work out roles and responsibilities, new identities and suchlike…

 

BILLIE-ANNE

Then what?

 

 

 

 

DAVID

(grinning)

Then we put on another performance           and redistribute more of that vast corporate wealth where it’s most needed.

 

CUT TO:

 

INT. GHETTOS. NIGHT- CONTINUOUS.

 

Ghettos is engulfed in darkness save for the amber glow of street lighting from outside. Within the meagre light, Mike and Terry are trussed together, back to back by bungie chords on either side of the product demonstration stall. The remaining staff members opportunistically fill their pockets with money from the checkouts and helping themselves to whatever they can carry from the shelves before filing out of the shop via the rear entrance.

 

MIKE

Stop what you’re doing, right now or I’ll have you all arrested and fired!

 

Mike and Terry yell their increasing vexations but they are ignored then abandoned until they’re complaining alone in the darkness.

 

DAVID (V.O.)

And so another strategy is finalised and the curtain closes on those who played their part in creating their own rules. They’ll be okay now that they’ve conquered their fears and learned how to create change for themselves- with the exception of Billie-Anne, who has nobody in that world, they don’t need us anymore. We’ll taker her in and move on, to different names and different places and help put right the wrongs of the faceless few who make the rules.

 

FADE OUT.

 

THE END

 

 

 

© 2013 spence


Author's Note

spence
My first ever screenplay!

My Review

Would you like to review this Screenplay?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

482 Views
Added on June 24, 2013
Last Updated on June 24, 2013

Author

spence
spence

Grimsby, United Kingdom



About
Just returning to WritersCafe after a couple of years in the wilderness of life. I'm a 40 year old (until December 2013, at least) father of two, former youth and community worker, sometime socio-pol.. more..

Writing