Eyes Of An Opportune Stream

Eyes Of An Opportune Stream

A Poem by Joanna Maharis
"

This piece is about man drifting back into his own consciousness after many lifetimes of living in agony.

"
I feel lost when the rain pours into my burning soul.
The light within me is dying.
For there is nothing left but smoke and cinder.
I've crossed panoramic lines within my decaying body.
My song bleeds into harpooned seals that swim
up to my operatic boat, and cry out in vain from
their tortured bodies.
My soul has been tortured for so long.
It has gotten to the point where I no longer am aware
which way is up and what way is down.
I wash these bedrocks by communing within
to bring forth light of the true self that is me.
I only hope these shedding layers will open
these eyes of opportune streams who hail along side of me.
Milky hands get stolen from my collection of seeds.
For was I blinded to the true ways of salty minds?
Lacquer bones get challenged by thunder and lightening.
For these chains around my wrists have become my foundation,
and my floors keep sinking me further and further into the black hole.
The galaxy builds with frustrating pools of consciousness.
For these rivers hold me prisoner to your fire.
I am not easily swayed to walk through your door this time.
My heart is stricken with heated wires that create sparks
within my brass walls heating my acidic visions within your frozen tonuge.
The lordly gaze within the Kindgom of Heaven creates electric sound waves
that cause my spirit to flourish.

© 2009 Joanna Maharis


Author's Note

Joanna Maharis
What do you think of the prose?

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hold on going to read it a second time. Ok, there we go. As always your poetry leaves me head reeling with dozens of images and emotions, it is almost overwhelming at time. I kind of wish you'd be part of my English curriculum in college, I would have loved to explicate your work. Your prose, like your poetry is beautiful, my only humble suggestion, and this is probably only because its how I work, is to try to weave a more definite theme here. I get sadness, I get despair, but I also see hope, freedom, being trapped, strength from imprisonment/accepting it, etc etc. It is my personally philosophy that a poem should convey a story, idea, thought, philosophy which can be gleaned on the surface the first reading, and then understood more deeply with analysis and further reading. Perhaps this one does and I do not see it, I do not know. Your poetry as always inspires and amazes, may the Muses bless you evermore.

Keep writing, and I'll keep reading.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Wow, there is some really powerful imagery in this poem. It's very dark and haunting, and the suffering of the narrator is quite tangible. Very good!

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

140 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 1, 2009

Author

Joanna Maharis
Joanna Maharis

Kalamazoo, MI



About
Graduate of Western Michigan University with a BA degree in Writing, which has been my passion since the tender age of six. Grew up in Kalamazoo, Michigan where I currently reside. I love to read al.. more..

Writing