Microphones For Live Performance

Microphones For Live Performance

A Story by sulastri
"

Choosing a microphone for band practice or live performances

"
Choosing a microphone for band practice or live performances can be a harrowing experience due to the fact there are so many to choose from in the modern age.

Firstly, do some research, ask other musicians what they use for the best sound results, check out blogs on different types of microphones on the internet, and if you can, listen to the quality of several different brands, this will be the best way to judge which sound you like the most.

My first vocal mic was the cheapest thing I could find on the shelf at the local music shop. It still functions quite well after many years of use but now takes a back seat for our band's live performances, in favour of a better quality brand.

Our lead vocalist Stretch Graham (formerly of Strange Brew) likes to use a standard but good quality mic for his vocals and a Dual Vocal Wireless System for the backup singers. The options are many and varied with this system; plenty of scope for echo and the harmony settings can make even the most basic singer sound fantastic.

We also use Studio Condenser Microphones coupled with a CD Recorder for whenever we play at a paid gig, the condenser mic is great for picking up all the little things we would otherwise miss whilst lost in the music, so we can play the whole thing back later for reference to improve upon. The CD Recorder has more features than you could ever want in a portable recording device. This said any quality recorder would capitulate great results.

The mic's we use have often been dropped and dented, splashed with beer, and generally had a tough life in the scheme of things, but continue to perform like brand new, much to our amazement.

If you're reading this article then I don't suppose I have to tell you that in recent years there has been a massive rise in the number of voice-overs for internet purposes such as Podcasts, You-tube etc and the quality of these is often poor. This is pretty unforgivable nowadays, given the low cost of good quality microphones and improvements in sound card technology.

Microphone Choice

To get a good voice recording you don't need to spend a fortune on a microphone for this type of work. You can use any type i.e. Dynamic, Ribbon, Condenser or Electret since the frequency range of the human voice is not that great and normally you'll be positioning the microphone fairly close to the person doing the commentary, so microphone sensitivity is not an issue.

Acoustic Considerations

By getting the microphone close to the commentator you reduce the effect of room acoustics and any background noise such as computer fans.

Find more at <a href="">yeti microphone at musiciansfriend.com</a>

© 2017 sulastri


Author's Note

sulastri

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

294 Views
Added on July 8, 2017
Last Updated on July 8, 2017
Tags: music

Author

sulastri
sulastri

Kansas, KS



About
Im Expert Writer on BrooWaha more..

Writing