Beginnings

Beginnings

A Chapter by King Roach
"

Ed Watts has to move because his mother cant keep her mouth shut. Unbeknownst to him, he's about to go on a crazy adventure.

"

Ed Watts sat inside the court room, bored out of his mind. He poked at his perfectly parted, brown hair, and picked at the “monkey” suit he had to wear. He always hated court, and with his parents always getting into other people’s business, he’s hardly out of the court room. He turned you his younger sister, Zanna. She had her long, blond hair that was scrunched into a bun, and was wearing a black dress. Zanna didn’t really mind sitting in court. Ed always wondered how she couldn’t, it’s not like she was a mundane person. She was the cheer captain at her school.

                “When do think mom’s going to testify?” he whisperers.

“I think she’ll testify soon,” she answers. Ed, annoyed, groans. “Why? Do you have a date with someone you meet online?”

“Ha-ha, no. I just don’t like sitting in the same spot for over an hour,” Ed mutters.

“Unless it’s in-front of your computer, right. You’re living the dream of a sixteen year old, computers and books,” Zanna jokes.

“Like you do any better. You’re fourteen and you’ve had six boyfriends this year,” Ed joked back.

“Hey, it’s only been five,” she replied, “Get your facts right. And that’s not my fault. You know how mother is with her blind dates and---”

“Can you be quiet? Your mother is about to testify,” a large man, with a thick, brown mustache interrupted.

“Yes, father,” Zanna and Ed said together. They look to the front of the courtroom. The prosecutor had just called their mom, Jenny, to testify. Their mom walks up the bench, her massive amount of jewelry jangles as she walks. She takes the oath and sits down.

“Please, tell the court what you witnessed, Mrs. Watts,” The prosecutor said.

“I was enjoying the scenery from the top floor of my house when that man,” she points to the man sitting at the attorney’s desk, “running away from the Paterson’s house, at the time of the murder. I just so happened to have my camera with me so I snapped a photo of him.”

Ed leaned over to Zanna and murmur, “Our mother with her camera handy? What luck?” Zanna giggled.

The attorney pulled up the photo of the man on a large screen above the judge.

“Did you have this tested to see if it is authentic?” the judge asked in a loud, booming voice.

“Yes, your Honor,” replied the prosecutor.

“Does the defense have anything to say about this?”

“N-no, sir,” the small attorney stuttered. He had to be a public defender (The case was hopeless in the way of the defendant). He looked at his client. The large man wearing a fancy suit, and black hat, shook his head. The attorney started to shake.

“I see no reason to continue this cases,” the judge boomed. He slammed his gavel down, and everybody started to leave.

Ed opened the door 3015 Tiger his family called a family vehicle. It was a small red car. The back seat could barely fit Ed and Zanna, the front, however, was a luxurious as it got. A GPS system that has a satellite for this car, and this car only, a radio that got reception on eighty-nine percent of the planet, and, of course, cup holders, five of them.

Zanna squeezed in behind Ed, who was ruffling his hands through his once perfect hair.

“If you ever wondered why you’ve never been in a relationship, that’s one of the reasons,” She said.

“Perfect, less time with people means more time to play Team Stronghold three,” Ed jokingly replied.

“Now kids, we’re going to have to leave for a while. However we’ll be back, so when you pack, just get the necessities. So don’t bring you Desktop, Ed” Cody, their dad, said. Ed frowned, at least he still had his laptop.

Zanna’s jaw dropped. She had made a good life here. She was popular and had a lot of friends. She started listing off questions like, “Why are we leaving?” and “Will I be able to say good bye to my friends?” Ed, however, didn’t have a problem with it. Most of his friends were through the internet anyways.   

“Obviously, that man was a high ranking mafia or something,” Ed replied mockingly. Zanna, who snapped out of disarray from her brother’s remark, stuck out her tongue. Ed retaliated with the same childish action.

“Stop it now, kids. This is serious,” Cody said. He placed he thumb on the dash board.

“Hello, Cody Watts,” the robotic voice of the car said. “Please state destination.”

“Home,” Cody Said. He leaned the seat back onto Zanna’s Legs. She let out a small sigh. “Your mom and I are going to drop you off at the house and we’re going to go get ‘help’.”

“Help?” Ed asked.

“Well, the man in the court room must have been a very power full man,” Zanna said with so much sarcasm you could almost taste it. Ed smiled. He was so glad that he had taught her how to be a real human, even though their mom wanted her to be a perfect princess. Their mom always set her up on blind dates with the top athletes in the school. She wanted to make sure that her little, perfect princess had the ‘best’. Ed, on the other hand, had taught her to be human, at least as much as he could. Without Ed, Zanna would be an ordinary, popular cheerleader, only hanging with the popular kids, and disregarding kids like himself as trash. 

 

The red car drove across the dark pavement. Ed look out the window. The large buildings of Old New York swirled into a blur of bright colors. The automated car mad big city life easier for everyone. The car was connected to a city wide data base that registered where every car wanted to go. It compared the destination for every vehicle accordingly; all in a matter of seconds.

The car pulled into the driveway of a large home at the end of the road. It was painted bright colors, like most things in Old New York. The attic of the large abode had a large sitting room with a window that looked out onto the entire road, this is where Ed and Zanna’s mom “accidentally” finds all her black mail and criminals. Cody leaned the chair up and said, “Kids, go get your stuff packed. Your mother and I will be back soon.”

The two kids got out of the car. They walked up to the front door, turned, and waved their parents off.

“Where do you think they’re going?” Zanna asked.

“No idea,” Ed said. He grabbed the gold colored door handle and went inside.

 

The inside of the Watts’ home was unlike any other on Banner Lane, other than being the largest, it was the most luxurious. The living room, which was the first room you entered, was decorated with elegant paintings, colorful carpet and, numerous couches and chairs. At the end of room was a large T.V.

“I’m going to miss this place,” Zanna mumbled.

“Wherever we go our mother will find someone to black mail slash sue, so we’ll quickly get a home like this,” Ed said with reassurance in his voice. Zanna smiled. They walked through the massive home till they got to their room.

“Hopefully I’ll be able to get a room to myself, no more late night video games,” Zanna jokes.

“If that happens, I’ll just be able to play more games,” Ed replied. They walked into the room. One Side was colored in blue, the other in red. The Red side had bookshelves, a desk with an expensive computer, posters of movies strung around the room, one dresser, and a bed in the corner. The one colored blue had posters of the most recent British boyband, and a few anime posters; Zanna was an odd mixture on geeky and sporty. She had many dressers and also had a bed in the corner.

Ed went to the red colored one and Zanna went to the blue colored side. Ed went to his bed which had bland covers on them. He reached under his bed and pulled a large suitcase out. He reached under again and pulled out a dusty ‘man bag’. He laid it on his bet then he walked over to his dresser. He started pulling out cloths and stuffed them into the suit case. He grabbed a pair of brown cargo-pants, a green t-shirt, a blue button up shirt, and went into the bathroom.

Ed walked out of the messy bathroom, with tooth paste and a tooth brush in his hands. He placed them in a small compartment in his suitcase. He rolled up his left sleeve then his right. He grabbed his camo baseball cap and fitted it on his head. He started grabbing useful items; a knife, scissors, pens, pencils, a sowing kit (even though he didn’t know how to sow), Etcetera. He placed them all in the bag. He walked over to his book case and looked at the large array of books; mystery, action, non-fiction, sci-fi, historical, and informational. He looked across the many novels he had. The Maze Walker, Cretaceous Park, the Taker, and the Starvation Games: Losing Fire. He grabbed one at random. He also grabbed a book called, “Prehistoric History”; he used to love anything that took place in prehistoric times. He placed them in the bag. He looked over to Zanna, who was still trying to figure out what cloths to take.

“I’m almost done and you’ve just barley started,” Ed said.

“Yes, and look at what you’re wearing,” Zanna retorted.

“What’s wrong with my clothes?” Ed asked. He slung the bag over his shoulder and walked to his suitcase.

“For one, you have a purse,” Zanna said. She continued to go through her dresser.

“Again, it’s not a purse.” Ed started putting other clothes into the suitcase.

 

Ed and Zanna walked outside onto the front porch. Zanna had finally decided that she’d wear a red T-Shirt and jeans (How it took so long for her to figure it out bewildered Ed).Their parents fallowed them out. Jane and Zanna both had more than one suit case. Ed knew that most of Zanna’s were clothes, he expected the same was in his mom’s suit cases. Ed and his father only had one bag. Ed knew that his father wasn’t as extravagant as his mom was, so he knew that in his suit case was a few pairs of jeans and a few polo shirts.

                They walked down the steps towards the WeMove truck.

                “Do we really need a moving truck just for this?” Ed asked his father.

                His father leaned down and whispered, “The trunk of the Tiger is very small…Do you not see how many bags that your mother and sister have?”

                “Good point,” Ed said.

                They opened up the back of the WeMove truck. Cody walked to the front of truck and talks to the driver. Ed guessed he was telling him where to go.

                While Cody was instructing the driver of the WeMove driver, Jane and her kids packed into the small, luxurious car.

                Ed pulled out his phone, the new Tri-Star Universe 5000. The large phone had earbuds wrapped around it. He unraveled them and stuffed them into his ears. He hit the play button on his music.  

 

 

The Watts’ family Tiger rolled up to the only space port in the state.

                “S…space travel?” muttered Zanna.

                “Is this really necessary?” asked Ed.

“Those men are very powerful,” their dad replied.

“We’ll be lucky if we can get away on a space ship,” Jenny said.

Ed and Zanna give each other worried looks. Zanna even more worked up than Ed; she’s terrified of heights. 

“Honey, I thought we weren’t going to tell the kids that.”

Ed and Zanna continued their worried looks.

“Okay, kids, because of this worry we went and hired some mercenaries,”

Ed felt better but he shouldn’t. If these men were as powerful as his parents say, then a few mercenaries won’t stop them.

The car continued towards a bright, red space ship with the words “Red Rangers” Written on it in dark, black paint. The ship looked good and was large.

They parked in a garage about fifty yards away from the ship. Ed and Zanna got out of the car and grabbed their bags. They started to walk towards the ship while their parents lock up the car.

“S-space travel,” Zanna twitched.

“Zanna, we’ll be fine. Commercial space travel has been around for about two-hundred years now, all the dangerous stuff has been fixed,” Ed said. He didn’t like to see his sister freaked out.

“Doesn’t make it any better…. What if it was a giant spider,” Zanna said the last word with a gruesome tone.

Ed shivered. “For one, that would be highly illogical. Second, spiders kill more people than plane or space-ship crashes. Tell me when you last heard about a plane crash.”

“Doesn’t make it feel better.”

When they got closer they saw an old man in a long over coat. He gave a small wave. When they got into reaching distance the man said, “Name’s Captain Jack. If you couldn’t tell I captain this ship.”

The man was wearing an eye patch and had a large cigar in his mouth. Zanna stared at the eye patch. Ed elbowed her for the rude gesture.

“Don’t harm the young lassie for being curious; you know the saying, right?” Jack said.

“Curiosity killed the cat?” Ed asked.

“Ah, yes, bucko. But did you know satisfaction brought it back?” Jack said. Zanna and Ed gave each other confused looks. Jack let out a loud laugh.   “Well, welcome aboard, kiddos!” He moved his arm towards the ramp going up to the ship’s interior.

Ed and Zanna walked up the ramp onto the rather good looking ship. The first room they entered was a living room, with a couch and a flat-screen T.V.  Two men were talking on the couch. One was a large, strong looking man with a rugged beard. The other was rather skinny and was wearing glasses. The large one looked back, and in a deep, Russian voice he said, “David, I thought the people we were hired to protect was a rich couple?”

“This is their children, you’re lucky that you’re strong, Leon,” David said. David got up off the couch and walked over to the kids. He was wearing jeans and had his red shirt tucked in. “Hello, my name is David Rees, and my friend here is Leon Hudson.”

The larger man got up and walked over. He was wearing camo cargo pants, boots, and a bullet proof vest over a red T-Shirt. Ed looked over at Zanna. See scooted behind Ed. Ed looked back to the two friends.

“Don’t worry, I don’t bite…. Hard,” Leon said with a toothy grin.

David hit him on the back of the head.

“What was that for?” he asked?

“You’re scaring the girl,” David whispered. Leon gave a small giggle.

“Sorry. I like seeing people scared. I once dressed up like a bear and scared my mom,” Leon said. He looked at David and started to walk away. When he was walking away, Ed heard him say, “That was a good Halloween, even though she knocked me out.”

“Well, that was fun. Now let’s show you to your room,” David said.

 

 

They walked through the hallways of the ship. They passed other people along the way. Most gave a wave and few didn’t.

“So, what do here David?” Ed asked.

“I’m the Red Rangers’ thinking machine. I normally think of plans and if anything with numbers it’s my job to deal with it,” David answered.

“Interesting,” Ed replied.

“Not really,” Zanna mumbled.

David stopped. He opened a door that lead to a small room with two desks and one bunk-bed. Ed and Zanna walked in. Ed observed the bland walls.

“I’ll let you get settled. We’ll be taking of soon,” David said. He shut the door and walked off.

“You’d think with all the money we have we could have gotten a ship with better rooms,” Zanna said.

“Hopefully we won’t be here long,” Ed said. He started placing his bags underneath his bed and started out the door.

“Where are you going?” Zanna asked. She had started to unpack her large bag.

“I’m going exploring,” Ed grinned.

 

Other than the rooms, the ship looked nice, not the best, but nice. He walked into a room labeled “Bridge”. Jack, and two other men were talking in there. Jack looked back and waved Ed in.

“Ahoy, young buccaneer! Come and meet some of the ships hands!”

“Hands,” Ed asked.

A tall, lanky man with bleach blond hair said, “It means crew. You’ll have to get use to our Captain.”

Jack gave a happy grin. “This yellow-headed man is the coxswain, and the buccaneer with the shaved head is the chandler!”

Ed looked confused. The blond headed one said, “Name’s Sam, I drive the ship, other there is Jax, he’s the gun expert.” Jax waved. He was about to say something when Ed’s parents walked in.

“Ed, what are you doing in here?” Cody asked.

“Exploring,” Ed replied

“Well, can you explore somewhere else? Me and your mother have important business to attend too,” Cody said. Ed frowned. He started out the door.

“Keep safe, Bucko!” Jack said.

He walked out of the door. When it shut he leaned and placed his ear on the door. The thick metal didn’t allow for perfect hearing, but Ed could tell that the voices sounded worried. All of a sudden, Ed didn’t want to know what they were talking about. 

He left the door and followed the signs that lead to the Cafeteria. He entered the cafeteria a large group of people were sat inside. He walked over to the only people he knew, David and Leon. Two other people were sitting with them, both ginger.

 “Hello, Ed. Where’s your sister?” David said. He had a hamburger from KingClown, one of the most popular fast food restaurants.

“Still unpacking. So are you going to introduce me to your friends?”  Ed replied.

The male ginger was stuffing a wet rag into a bottle, and the female ginger was tinkering with a metallic cylinder. Neither looked up when Ed referenced them.

“Those two are the explosion experts, Max works with fire, and Rachel works with plain explosions,” David said.

Leon snapped his fingers in-front of Max’s face. He jolted and nearly dropped his bottle. He was wearing a thick, red jacked. Ed thought that they were probably fire proof clothing.   

“What is it Leon?” he asked, annoyed that is creation was almost destroyed. Leon pointed towards Ed. Max looked at him confused.

“Am I the only one that read the mission papers? It’s the Watts’ son,” David informed.

Rachel rabidly looked up. She had her long red hair into two pony tails with multiple collard streaks in them. She shouted, “I read the papers! You’re Ed watts. Your Sister is Zanna Watts.”

Ed looked at Leon and David. Leon mouthed, she’s always like this. Ed looked back at the two gingers.

“Name’s Max, and my crazy sister is Rachel,” Max said, then he placed his bottle into a metal container he got from underneath the table.

“Sure, I’m the crazy sibling,” she replied sarcastically.

“Yes, you are, there’s no debating it,” Max said. He pulled his own metallic cylinder out of his bag and started to work on it. Rachel rolled her eyes.

“You should go meet the rest of the crew,” Leon advised. “Most of them are nice.”

 

Ed walked over to another table. This Table also had four people on it. There was a man wearing a white shirt with a red plus sign on it, Ed guessed he was the Medic. An African American man who looked like he could give Leon a run for his money in a fight, Ed guessed he was more muscle. A fat man who was stuffing his face into a burger, Ed had no idea what he was.  And a girl wearing a hat with one brim attached to the crown and a khaki outfit, Ed guessed she was some sort of wildlife expert.

When he sat down next to the man in the white outfit, the girl in the Khaki outfit got up and left. Ed looked confused.

“Amber doesn’t really like kids,” the man in the white outfit, in a British accent, said. “My name is John Smith. I guess that you’re Ed Watts.”

“Yes, I am. I am guessing you are a medic,” Ed replied.

“Correct,” he said.

The African American man extended his hand and Ed shook it.

“I’m Kayin. I am the co-captain of this ship,” He said. 

“And he is?” Ed gestured to the man stuffing his face.

“That’s the janitor,” Kayin replied.

“Cool…. I guess. So what does Amber do?”

“She’s our survival expert. For extreme situations,” Kayin said.

Ed was about to reply when the intercom called all the crew members to head to the bridge. John got up and was about to walk away. Ed got up and went after him.

“When you see my sister, try to lose the British accent. She’s a bit crazy when it comes to accents,” Ed warned. John gave a think and left. Ed was alone. 

 

He walked back to Zanna and his room. He walked inside to see Zanna, who was still unpacking.

“You have too much stuff,” Ed said. Zanna rolled her eyes. Ed grabbed his suit case and started unpacking. 



© 2015 King Roach


Author's Note

King Roach
If you see grammar problems please tell me, i suck at grammar. And please leave all feed back that you can.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

150 Views
Added on September 21, 2015
Last Updated on September 21, 2015
Tags: dinosaur, chapter 1, roach, book, primeval planet, beast, primeval, Sci-Fi


Author

King Roach
King Roach

new york, NY



About
I write short stories and have a few books in the works. more..

Writing