Quarantined

Quarantined

A Story by Vampire Wombat
"

The events caused by a zombie encounter on a subway.

"

I have nothing to do. Seriously, I have nothing to do. I'm currently in quarantine. The room is too small, there's no tv, and I haven't even been given magazines or books. All I was given is some computer paper and a pen. Not much I can do with those. Still, I shouldn't complain too much. I am alive, right?
    So, yeah this is my account of why I'm in quarantine. It may sound like rubbish right now. If I had been told it would've happened to me even last night, I would've laughed it off as crazy talk. Now, I'm willing to believe almost anything.
    Alright, so I got up and got ready like normal this morning. I got to the L and had to wait, since it was running late. But hey, that's normal. For it to be on time would be weird, actually. Then it finally arrived, almost fifteen minutes late.
    The doors creaked open and I stepped inside. I had to fight the urge to immediately turn back. The stench was horrid. Still, I continued in to avoid being trampled. It didn't take long to find the source of the smell. In one of the seats was a guy in rags with his head down. I've smelled more than my share of bums on the L, but this was the worst. If he hadn't been moving a bit, I'd have thought the guy had been dead for days.
    I turned away and went to the next car and was relieved that it smelled better. I wasn't the other one. Everyone else from the other car had joined me. Somehow I was lucky enough to get the last free seat since some guy was standing at a pole. At least, that's what I thought then. There was even a newspaper there. I checked to see if it belonged to anyone and then began reading it.
    Soon my reading was interrupted by a growl. I looked up and saw that it was the guy from the pole. It didn't take much to figure that it was his paper I was reading. I offered him the paper and apologized. I knew I was wrong and didn't mind admitting it. He probably didn't hear me ask about the paper. But he wouldn't take the paper. He just stared at me and growled.
    I apologized again and tried putting the paper in his hand. He just dropped it. It was one thing to ignore my apology, but to drop the paper too... That was too much. So I stood up and looked him in the eyes as much as I could. He was smaller than me, so I expected him to back down. He didn't. The growling continued and he didn't even acknowledge I had stood up. I was getting really pissed off by this point. So, I did what seemed logical at the time. I shoved him.
    He went back oddly. He didn't flail at all. It was like he didn't even care or notice he had been shoved. He didn't straighten up and shove me back, the natural response for many. He didn't even straighten up at all. He just remained bent back and still growling. I just said to Hell with it and went to another car.
    There were still a couple more stops until mine, so I took one of the free seats. This car was less crowded, eleven people were all. I checked my surroundings to see if there would be any more trouble. There was a guy standing at a pole, but he was listening to music acting normal. A couple in their twenties were sitting together in a seat. He looked tired as she spoke. The other eight kept to themselves and acted normal.
    Then we stopped. The couple got off and were replaced by five. Slow morning, it seemed. They took seats and soon we started moving again. Then I heard growling. I rolled my eyes before looking around, expecting the guy from earlier. But he wasn't there. I didn't see the source of the growling, so I ignored it.
    Then the growling became louder. I looked again and saw a woman walking slowly toward the guy at the pole. She was average looking and I'd say she was in her thirties. I continued to watch, figuring she was going to hit on him or something. He didn't notice her, he was too involved in his music. Then the unexpected happened. She stepped closer and took a bite of the guy's face. I'm not talking a small bite here either. I had only seem something like it in movies and late night talk shows.
    The guy obviously noticed her then. I sniggered to myself a moment, figuring the guy had cheated on her or something. But she didn't let go. It was like watching a human Doberman. She didn't let go until her teeth tore through the skin and ripped it off to the bone. I could only stare in amazement and disgust. I heard several people around me retch at the sight.
    The guy was howling in pain. A couple guys pulled her away and she didn't resist. The guy's jaw couldn't be missed then. Despite the blood, I could clearly see the bone and muscle. People who could actually think were helping him. I could only stare, in a daze.
    I continued to stare, not noticing a thing for God knows how long. It was all like a bad dream. Things like this didn't happen in real life. I was finally snapped out of it by an alarm. I guess someone decided that bring the cops in was a good idea. All that was left was to wait. The guy had some shirt on his jaw and the woman still had his cheek in her mouth. What was worse was she was chewing on it. No one paid her attention except the two guys holding her arms. Everyone else was too busy either helping the guy or trying to avoid being even more sick.
    After what seemed forever, we finally stopped. Before anyone could get out, we were flooded by what looked like members of a SWAT team. They took the woman and then escorted the rest of us out and into a van. No one spoke directly to us. Then we stopped and were escorted into a building.
    There was some guy in a suit who explained to us that the woman most likely had virus which made her delirious. We were all going to be put in quarantine until they determined it was safe. We all tried to protest, but he would have none of it. He had us all fill out some paperwork and said he'd call the necessary people and explain where we were.
    Then I was put in this room. It's not so bad. Maybe half the size of my apartment. Main problem is the bed creaks and the white is starting to hurt my eyes. While writing this, I was told that I will be given a book soon at least. Hopefully the food won't be as bad as I expect it'll be. That would probably drive me over the edge.

© 2008 Vampire Wombat


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

207 Views
Added on May 8, 2008

Author

Vampire Wombat
Vampire Wombat

Amarillo, TX



About
I'm currently trying to find some sort of niche. In doing so, I'm writing stories which may or may not be successfully written. In doing so, I'm hoping to learn my strengths and weaknesses in writing .. more..

Writing
Flame Flame

A Story by Vampire Wombat