The Demons Among Men

The Demons Among Men

A Chapter by Kayla Amaro


Andreas eyed the target. Steadily, he inhaled and exhaled. It was a scorching hot day as the sun burned brightly in the sky above. Andreas and his older brother, Nicholai, had spent their entire morning relentlessly on the practice field. Hours had flown by.


 


One. 


 


Andreas wiped the sweat from his forehead. 


 


Two.


 


Using the strength in his legs, he rose slightly from his saddle. 


 


Three. 


 


"Ya!"


 


He kicked, and his white stallion charged forward, its hooves slamming into the dirt. The target was approaching fast. Andreas drew his arrow, lifting his elbow above his shoulder line. He squinted as the target came into full view. One and a half more seconds. He released the arrow.


 


 He pulled back on the horse's reins to slow her down as the rush of the moment slowly died down. Andreas leaned forward and saw his arrow piercing the target just shy of its true center. 


 


"Not bad," his brother remarked from the other side of the field. 


 


"You've got to be kidding me," Andreas grumbled, "That shot was a disappointment."


 


"It's still in the center," Nicholai reminded him. 


 


Andreas raked his fingers through his shoulder-length, blonde hair. The sound of thunder erupted once more as Nicholai's stallion raced towards him. Nicholai released his bow and it struck the target's true center. Andreas huffed, jealous, as Nicholai trotted tauntingly over to him. 


 


Above them, on one of the palace's second floor balconies, King Adalrich and his advisor stood watching them, their arms crossed behind the robes on their backs. 


 


"What do you think of the boys?" the King asked. 


 


"I daresay Lord Nicholai has the skills of a warrior."


 


"Yes...all of the court members favor him over Andreas..."


 


The advisor was silent for a moment.


 


"Well, then I am the odd one out," the advisor admitted.


 


The King glanced at him, curious.


 


"Lord Nicholai may have his great skills, but something about Lord Andreas suggests to me that he will surprise us..." the advisor explained, "He has sprouted into a very well built and frankly the finest youth I've ever seen in a boy his age."


 


The King closed his eyes and smiled.


 


"I share your opinion," he said, "I have faith that when Nicholai takes up the throne, Andreas will defend the kingdom with a strong hand. All he needs is time. He is still young."


 


A generous breeze swept through the palace. 


 


Down below, Nicholai dismounted his stallion. 


 


"Not in the mood for another round?" Andreas asked, following suit. 


 


"I have to prepare for our next campaign. It's a hell of a lot of paperwork to get through."


 


"That's right..."


 


Suddenly the ground began to vibrate under their feet. The princes looked to each other. Everyone walking on the palace grounds had stopped. The tremors became so violent, it knocked everyone off their feet. Several servants rushed to their Majesty's side. Vases, dishes, and other precious ornaments could be heard shattering in the distance as the ground groaned. The ladies in courting screamed.


 


The tremors ceased.  


 


Servants helped each other back onto their feet, then crowded around the King to make sure he was alright. Andreas ran up to the second floor. His father was fine. 


 


"What was that?" he asked him.


 


"So the time has come..." his father murmured as if entranced. 


 


"Father?" Andreas asked. 


 


The King turned to look down at Nicholai. He shared his father's same grave expression. Without a word, he ran to his quarters, knowing well what he had to do. The King turned to Andreas.


 


"Remember that fairytale I used to tell you when you were a little boy? The one about the demons among men that were sealed away?"


 


Andreas was taken aback by his sudden topic choice. 


 


"Of course. There were demons that lived among the people of this kingdom. Every time the people tried to erect the palaces walls, the demons would sneak at night and destroy all their hard work. When the people planted crops, the demons would sneak at night and set their fields ablaze. Then one day they were sealed away, and the people were finally able to create this palace and sell their crops along the trade routes to feed their families..." Andreas recalled. 


 


"And do you remember where those demons were sealed away?"


 


"They were sealed-" 


 


Andreas' eyes slowly widened in disbelief. The King put a hand on his shoulder. 


 


"That was no fairytale, son."


 


"You?" Andreas asked, unable to form a coherent sentence.


 


The King turned to his advisor. 


 


"Get me General Einhard. Quickly."


 


The advisor bowed and rushed to do as he was told.


 


"Father, what's going to happen to us?" Andreas asked. 


 


"We have to start preparations. You need to prepare too. General Einhard will teach you everything you need to know."


 


His father started walking back towards the inner palace.


 


"Wait!" Andreas called, "Teach me what I need to know for what?"


 


The King turned back once more. 


 


"For war. You're going on your first campaign."



© 2017 Kayla Amaro


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

More please! This is fantastic! It moves a bit fast, but overall its extremely well written, and I'm very interested to see what comes next!

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

132 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on October 3, 2017
Last Updated on October 13, 2017


Author

Kayla Amaro
Kayla Amaro

Philadelphia, PA



About
I am an extremely avid reader. I don't know how to put a book down once I've started! Currently Reading: Hidden Figures by Margot Lee Shetterly. I'm a band girl. If you love P!ATD, TØP, FOB.. more..

Writing
Jemima Jones Jemima Jones

A Chapter by Kayla Amaro