Requiem for a Dream (2007)

Requiem for a Dream (2007)

A Story by Doug Ordunio
"

addiction, drugs, diet, amphetamines

"

Director: Darren Aronofsky

 

This is a difficult film to view about addiction from the point of view of four people. Harry Goldfarb (Jared Leto), the son of Sara Goldfarb (Ellen Burstyn) is a heroin addict who decides along with his friend Tyrone (Marlon Wayans) and get into the illegal drug trade in Coney Island. They do this to try and realize their dreams.

 

 Sara is an elderly widow living in Brighton Beach who spends her time watching infomercials of Tappy Tibbons. She becomes obsessed with regaining her youthful appearance because she receives a form letter telling her that she is being considered to appear on a TV show. Thus, she wants to lose weight and and begins to go on a crash diet. Then upon the advice of a friend she finds a doctor who will give her diet pills.  She becomes addicted to amphetamines.

 

Harry also wants to help his girlfriend Marion (Jennifer Connelly) open up her business of designing fashions.

 

All four lives spiral out of control and they each end up alone and totally miserable. Harry tells Marion to begin selling her body so they will have enough money to continue their habit. There is no doubt of the power of this film, and after the success of Pi, it signified the beginning of a promising career as a director.

 

The use of CGI and time lapse photography amplify the meaning of the actions in the piece. The music is by Clint Mansell, who in a manner similar to his score for The Fountain, engages the Kronos String Quartet.

© 2011 Doug Ordunio


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

4030 Views
Added on October 15, 2011
Last Updated on October 15, 2011

Author

Doug Ordunio
Doug Ordunio

Tujunga, CA



About
I have been writing for a little while-- Please read and you might be entertained. Please don't send me tons of read requests. If you must send one, make sure it's your best stuff. From me, you will.. more..

Writing