Intersections

Intersections

A Story by C. E. Hacker
"

Intersections

"

 

Intersections

 

Friday, December 16, 2004, 7:26 am

 

 

Tom laid in bed. He had been awake for nearly an hour now but did not want to admit it since the alarm had yet to go off. He was too excited to sleep. Today was the meeting with his regional director. Today he would be picking up the funds for his youth center project.

 

He had the building all picked out. Over the last hour he had entertained himself by imagining the layout. He imagined just how the art room would look and what he would put in the game room. He even envisioned what his office would be like. He could hardly wait to get started.

 

He fantasized about the opening day and the smiles on the kids' faces, the screams of joy as they played on the indoor basketball court. He even began rehearsing what he would say to the reporters covering the grand opening. Finally, all his hard work would pay off.

 

He turned over and looked at the clock. Ten minutes until it would go off. He reached over and turned it off. Close enough, he thought.

 

 

 

Friday, December 16, 2004, 8:30 am

 

 

The alarm next to Jeffrey’s bed began to buzz loudly. He rolled over and turned it off. If he wasn’t going into work today why had he set the alarm in the first place? Habit. he thought to himself. After lying in bed for a few minutes he realized he was not going to be able to go back to sleep. The reason why hit him like a tornado and swirled around his mind. Today was "The Day."

 

He went over the plan in his head. Pick up the cake at the bakery, mustn’t forget that. So many little details that needed seeing to. He went over and over them in his mind careful not to forget anything. Tonight would be perfect.

 

He got up, showered and dressed. He made breakfast and ate it over the sink. When finished he left the dishes in the sink and headed for the door. He grabbed his coat and was putting it on as he walked out when he suddenly stopped. "Almost forgot," he muttered and went into the den. On the top shelf of the closet was a small metal box. Carefully taking it down, he opened it and placed the contents in his left pocket then started for the door again. Once more he stopped in his tracks and walked over to the sink in the kitchen instead and proceeded to wash the dishes. His actions struck him as peculiar. What would it have mattered if he had just left them where they were? "What we choose to care about," he said out loud to himself. He finished washing and laid them in the rack to dry then once more headed for the door pausing for one final moment before closing it behind him.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

December 16, 1982 9:27 am

 

 

“Bill! You’re late for work again.”

 

Julie shook him violently. He began to stir. His head was pounding and his eyes ached.

 

“I’m sick. Tell them I’m sick,” he mumbled softly.

“You can’t call in sick again, Bill. You called in sick five times this month. They’re         going…” Bill cut her off mid sentence. "Alright! I’ll get up.”

 

He did. Forty-five minutes later. He showered as quickly as he could, got dressed and headed out the door. In his haste, or because of the noise the electric razor would make, he chose not to shave. Most of his commute was spent coming up with a believable excuse for being late again.

 

When he arrived at work thirty minutes later he learned his boss was across town at a client’s office. He caught a break. If he were lucky his boss would never know. He slipped in as discreetly as possible and made it to his cubicle without anyone noticing.

 

His head was still pounding like someone was using it as a jackhammer. He hadn’t eaten breakfast, which for him was a good thing, since he was quite sure he would have never been able to keep it down.

 

He rifled through his desk until he found a silver flask hidden at the back of one of the drawers. He opened it quickly and took a drink. Empty. He would have to wait until lunch to get some more. He got up and went to the employee lounge where he poured a cup of coffee and retrieved two aspirins from the medical kit hanging on the wall. He popped them in his mouth and took a swig of coffee. A loud moan escaped his lips as the hot liquid went down his throat. After the burning sensation subsided he returned to his desk and prayed for quiet.

 

 

 

 

Friday, December 16, 2004 3:15 pm

 

 

Tom sat in the outer office of Pastor Jim Townsend, the regional director of Full-Square Ministries.

He could scarcely contain himself from the excitement. It seemed like an eternity before Jim finally opened his door and motioned for Tom to come in. Tom sat in the chair Jim motioned to as he sat back behind his desk.

 

“Tom, I wanted to talk to you about the outreach program that you have shepherded.”

 

Before Jim could continue Tom blurted out, “I found a nice building on the south side that will meet our needs. It needs some work but the price is right. It will make a perfect youth center.”

 

“I am sorry, Tom. The council did not approve the funds.”

 

Tom felt like he had been kicked in the stomach. “What? Why?”

 

Jim knew his answer would offer little comfort to Tom. “They felt the funds should come from the local churches in the area.”

 

“We talked about that Jim! They are in dire need themselves.”

 

Jim began to fidget with the papers on his desk as he answered, “I know.”

 

Tom's face became flushed. “Did you tell them that?”

 

“Of course, Tom.”

 

“Then why?”

 

“The truth is, Tom, that we have funded programs like yours in the past with little to no results.

The board felt the money will be better used in other areas.”

 

Tom's voice grew louder and more angry, “Is that how you feel?”

 

“It’s not my place to say," said Jim and motioned with his hands for Tom to settle down. "Look, you have done great work and there is no reason that you need to stop.”

 

Tom ran his fingers through his thick black hair. “Where are we supposed to meet now?”

 

“You still have use of the elementary school and the board approved your operations budget.”

 

“No I don’t." Tom's voice sounded weak and defeated. "The school board voted me out last week."

 

Jim looked apologetically at Tom. “I didn’t know that."

 

Tom leaned forward and rested his head in his hands. "Some of the parents expressed concern about what kind of kids were showing up. Many of these kids have gang ties and the parents felt it wasn't safe to have them there.”

 

Jim got up, walked over to Tom and placed his hand on his shoulder. "We’ll find something else. I’ll help you.”

 

Tom got up and angrily stormed out. He could not believe it. For two years he worked to get the program off the ground. When he started out it seemed like everyone was against him. But he had done it. He had convinced the city council, the Mayor’s office, even the school board to let him try. They were all so skeptical and who could blame them. They had seen so many try and fail.

 

He had reached some eighty kids, most of who were in gangs or dealing. More than half were regularly attending his game nights on the weekends and a third were attending bible studies during the week. He had seen eighteen of them give their lives to Christ. How could he face them now? He had already told them about the youth center. The thought of disappointing them caused him to break out in a cold sweat.

 

He got into his old Volkswagen Fastback and just sat there. The anger burned in his face. What was he going to do now? The betrayal stung him and left him reeling. He had faced rejection many times before in his ministry. As a minister sharing the gospel you accept that. But from the Full-Square Ministry itself? That is not supposed to happen. Why couldn't they see the importance of what he was doing?

 

 

 

Friday, December 16, 2004 4:45 pm

 

 

Jeffrey left the bakery and made it to the bus stop just as the bus was arriving. He showed his bus card to the driver and then made his way to a seat in the back of the bus. He settled in for the long bus ride back to the west side of the city.

 

As he sat he went through a mental list of the days activities, crossing them off one by one as he remembered completing them. Everything was taken care of. He thought about the look on her face when he would walk in to her room early. She would be so surprised.

 

They will have the whole evening together just like back at home. They will have dinner together and talk about current events and have cake and celebrate his birthday. She will be so happy.

 

He let his mind wonder for a while, recalling the good times they had before she got sick. The trip they took to the zoo. The time they went to the beach. He remarked to himself how truly blessed he was to have a mother like her. She always went out of her way to make him happy. He would do anything for her.

 

His thoughts took a turn. He began to remember her getting worse. He remembered the chemotherapy and how sick it made her. When her hair fell out as a result of the treatments he sold his motorcycle to buy her a beautiful wig. It was exactly the same color as her natural hair. He remembered how thin she got and how pale. Then there were the surgeries. There were so many of them. She’d be in the hospital for months at a time.

 

He would keep the house just the way she liked it for when she came home. He liked it when she came home again so he could take care of her. The night before he would stay up cleaning her room so that it would be fresh and perfect. Washing and ironing her sheets, dusting, polishing, vacuuming and then he would place scented candles all around the room. When lit they smelled like lilacs, roses, and cherry blossoms. He planted flowers of various colors in the flower boxes outside her window and hung plants from the top of the window with long leafy vines that would hang down. The room looked and smelled like it was in a garden.

 

The bus jerked and Jeffrey snapped back into the moment. It had stopped and picked up a man about Jeffrey's age. Jeffrey looked at his watch and saw it was a few minutes past five o'clock. He looked out his window and saw that they were at the intersection of Dexter and Fifth St. His exit was just a few more blocks ahead. Jeffrey could tell the man, who had gotten on, was in a bad mood by the way he sat in the seat across from him with a huff. Their eyes met briefly and Jeffrey smiled. The man half-smiled back at him and then turned to stare out the window. Jeffrey was determined not to let the sulking man spoil his good mood. Nothing was going to ruin tonight. Nothing. Jeffrey tried to get lost in his thoughts again and a few moments later he had almost succeeded when he heard the bus driver call out, “Lancaster St.” He pulled the cord overhead, got up and moved towards the door as the bus pulled over. Jeffrey stepped out and the bus moved on.

 

 

 

Friday, December 16, 2004 5:04 pm

 

 

Tom had been driving around for hours. So much was going through his mind. He imagined how the kids would take the news. He could see the hurt in their faces and nothing he could say was going to erase those looks. He had failed them.

 

He felt so alone at that moment; as if he was the only person in the whole city. What would he do now? Those kids would never trust him again. He thought back to the meeting again. How could Jim do this to him? He had always thought of him as a friend. More than that, a mentor.

 

“God why are you doing this? What have I done to deserve this? Don’t you want someone ministering to these kids? I have given up everything to follow you. I trained as a minister, moved to a strange city across the country, left everything behind and for what? Is this how you repay your servants? Fine! I did all that I could. I’m done!”

 

Suddenly Tom heard a noise from the back of his car. It sounded like a loud pop and then a high-pitched whistle. The car began to loose power.

 

“Oh, what now!" He looked up and cried out. "Is this your idea of a joke?”

 

The car sputtered and then stalled. He coasted over to the curb and tried to start it again. The engine sputtered and whined but would not start.

 

“Damn it!”

 

He put his head on the steering wheel and moaned.

 

“Perfect! A perfect end to a perfect day,” he said sarcastically.

 

As he looked up he noticed a bus pulling over up ahead. He quickly got out of the car and ran for the bus and just made it. After paying the fare he made his way to the back of the bus. He noticed a man watching him approach. The man was about his age and had a box on his lap. The kind you get at a bakery.

 

Tom felt something begin to stir in his gut. He tried to ignore it but it would not subside. He recognized the feeling for he had felt it many times before. It was the stirring of his spirit.

 

“Not now.” He thought to himself. “I am not in the mood.”

 

The feeling persisted. Their eyes met as Tom sat in the empty seat across from him. The stranger smiled and Tom gave a halfhearted smile back then turned to look out the window. He was painfully aware that the feeling grew stronger when he looked into the eyes of the stranger sitting across from him.

 

He began to feel clammy and his heart was beating fast. The feeling kept growing inside him until he gave another quick glance over at the man. His pulse quickened. The man was looking off into the distance seemingly lost in his thoughts. Tom wrestled with what to do next.

 

“What do you want from me God? You want me to talk to that man? You want this now? After what I have been through today? I’m tired and upset. My ministry is down the tube, my car is broken on the side of some road and you want me to minister to this stranger? Come on God, give me a break. Can’t you get someone else? I am too emotionally drained for this.

 

He heard the bus driver call out, “Lancaster St.” The stranger sitting across from him got up and moved for the door. Tom breathed a sigh of relief.

 

“Well it’s too late now.” He thought.

 

As he watched the man exit the bus he began to feel guilty and a little ashamed so he said a quick prayer.

 

“Lord, watch over that man. Minister to him and help him with whatever his problems are. Give him peace and protect him, amen.”

 

Tom stared out the window again and returned to his thoughts about the day’s events.

 

 

 

 

December 16, 1982, 5:15 pm

 

 

Bill sat quietly at the dinner table. He avoided making eye contact with his wife and children and just stared at his plate. The tension was thick. He picked up a glass of scotch and took a big drink. Julie just sat quietly breaking her silence only to warn the kids to behave at the dinner table.

 

He had come home early from work today and she knew all to well what that meant. This was his third job in the last eight months. She tried to comfort him but he was not receptive.

 

Julie put on a disarming smile and turned to her husband. “Dear? We need to finish up so we         can make it to church on time.”

 

“I am not going tonight.”

 

Trying not to sound like she was nagging, she carefully responded.“I think you should, honey.”

 

“Oh?! You do, huh?” He looked at her coldly. “I don't feel like being around people right now.”

 

She pressed in, “Do you want to talk about it?

 

He looked back down at his drink. “No.”

She reached out and touched his arm. “It might make you feel better.”

 

He looked sharply at her. She could see the anger in his eyes.

 

“Can you please save the therapy session for later!”

 

“I didn't mean...” He cut her off abruptly.

 

“Yeah you did. I will never measure up to your standard and I am done trying.”

 

She looked back down at her plate and said nothing.

 

He finished his scotch and got up from the table. “I’m going out.”

 

She asked as if she didn't all ready know. “Where are you going?”

 

“Just out.” he retorted.

 

She knew better. He was going to a bar.

 

She thought quickly. “Maybe we could all stay in tonight? We can make it a family night and         play games with the kids.”

 

Bill grabbed his keys from the hook on the wall as he opened the door to the garage.

 

“Go to church. Someone from this family should make it to heaven.” With that he slammed the door closed.

 

He got in his car and sat there for a minute then started it and pulled out. As he drove the weight of his problems came crashing down upon him. His head throbbed and the more he tried to stop thinking about it the more he did. They were still a month behind on the mortgage, Timmy needed braces, the water heater was on its last leg and Christmas was just days away. Money, money, money, they never seemed to have enough.

 

A horn honked behind him snapping him back to the moment. He saw the light had changed. The tires screeched as he slammed his foot on the gas pedal and sped away.

 

 

 

 

Friday, December 16, 2004 5:30 pm

 

 

She was sleeping as Jeffrey entered the room. He tiptoed over to the foot of her bed and tied down the balloons he had picked up at the gift shop. They were bright, colorful and shiny. They would definitely surprise her when she wakes up, he thought to himself.

 

He sat in his usual chair next to her bed, pulled out his bible and began to read. He read about Abraham and Isaac. He loved that story. Often he would imagine his father was like Abraham. A Godly man that did whatever God asked of him.

 

“What are you doing here?” She looked at him as if she was unsure he was real.

 

“Surprise mom!” He was beaming with delight for she was completely surprised.

 

“Wha…what’s all these balloons?" Not yet fully awake, she struggled to make sense of         everything.

 

“Well, we very well can’t celebrate my birthday without balloons. Can we?”

 

“Birthday?” Suddenly it became clear to her. “Yes, of course. It is your birthday. How could I         forget such a thing?”

 

“I am sure you didn’t forget.” He said reassuringly. “It’s just hard to keep track of the days in         here.”

 

“I am sorry dear.” She felt terrible for not remembering.

 

“Now, now, none of that.” He smiled big. “We have the whole evening together. Dinner is on its way and afterwards I have this nice cake.” He pointed to the bakery's box on the table.

 

“You don’t have to work tonight.”

 

“No, I switched with a coworker.”

 

Her mood brightened. “This is so wonderful, Jeffrey.”

 

Jeffrey and his mother talked and laughed all through dinner. It was just like old times around the dinner table. Afterwards, Jeffrey pulled out paper party hats from his pocket and they wore them while singing Happy Birthday. It was the happiest time they had shared in quite a while.

 

The evening wore out Jeffrey’s mother and she fell asleep with her party hat still on and without finishing her cake. She had a soft smile on her face as she slept. He stared at her for the longest time. She looked so beautiful to Jeffrey and he was pleased at how well the evening had gone.

 

 

December 16, 1982, 8:06 pm

 

Laura sat watching the lights twinkle on the Christmas tree and feeling the large protruding bump on her belly. Silver Bells played in the background on the stereo. This would be the first Christmas in their new house. It was going to be the best Christmas ever. They had worked hard and saved for the last three years and now the dream of owning their own home had come true. She put both hands on her tummy and felt her baby kick.

 

“Jeff, he is kicking again. Jeff? JEFF!”

 

She could hear footsteps coming down the stairs.

 

Jeff emerged looking alarmed. “What honey?”

 

“I said the baby is kicking again. Come here and feel him.”

 

A wave of relief washed over his face. “He has been kicking all evening, Dear. In fact he has         been kicking all week.”

 

She continued to feel her tummy. “I know. He is eager to come out and meet his father. Wouldn’t it be wonderful if he came before Christmas? That would be the best Christmas present we could get.”

 

Trying to hide his excitement as well, he dismissed her expectation. “Yes it would but the due date isn’t for another two weeks so I wouldn’t get your hopes up.”

 

Not willing to let him dismiss it so easily she replied, “I don’t know honey. I think he is ready         now. She quickly changed the subject before he could discount her again. "What are you doing         upstairs?”

 

Jeff smiled slyly, “That is none of your business.”

 

 

She knew what he was up to. “Hmm. I am guessing you are wrapping my present. Am I right?”

 

Jeff set his jaw firm. “I’m not telling, Miss 'I can't wait til Christmas'.”

 

“Never could.” she shot back, “And it is Misses not Miss, Mr. 'Bah Humbug'. As a child I         would..”

 

Jeff cut her off and rolled his eyes. “I know. You would sneak down the night before and open all the presents before anyone was even up. I have heard the story before.”

 

Feeling the conversation was getting off track she asked again, “So what did you get me?”

 

Jeff enjoyed toying with her almost as much as watching her open the presents “You will have to wait until Christmas day and to make sure you don’t peak I am taking it with me to work.”

 

“Not fair!” She exclaimed. "Half the fun is trying to find your hiding place."

 

“Well, that is just tough beans for you." Jeff gave a devious look to her. "But I think I might have gotten you an early Christmas present just to tide you over. I guess I could give it to you now."

 

She giggled with glee. “Yes! Give it to me now.”

 

Jeff was not ready to give in to her just yet. “I don’t know. Have you been a good girl?”

 

“Very good!”

 

Jeff scratched his head. "If only I can remember where I put it.”

 

“Jeff, stop teasing me. Let me have it, pleeeease!”

 

“Oh, alright.”

 

Jeff walked over to the stereo cabinet and reached behind the unit. He pulled out a small box wrapped in Christmas paper.

 

Her eyes lit up. “You hid it there? Clever.”

 

Jeff walked over, handed her the box and kissed her.

 

“Merry pre-Christmas.”

 

She removed the bow and stuck it on Jeff’s forehead. She then untied the ribbon and began tearing the paper off. She opened the top of the box and sighed heavily. Tears filled her eyes as she reached in and pulled out a Christmas ornament in the shape of little blue baby booties. The year ‘1982’ was engraved in them.

 

“Thank you. They are beautiful.”

 

He took them from her and placed them on a branch in the center of the Christmas tree then stood back and eyed his work.

 

“There! Now the tree is complete,” he announced.

 

Jeff sat beside her and put his arm around her. She leaned into him and wrapped her arm around him.

 

She looked at him lovingly. “You are so wonderful and I am so lucky to be married to you.”

 

Jeff acted cocky. “I know.”

 

She jabbed him in the ribs. "You just had to go and ruin the mood didn’t you.”

 

Jeff gave an innocent look. “What do you mean? I was agreeing with you.”

 

She made a fist and put it in front of his face. “Don’t you have something to say to me?”

 

Jeff pressed his luck. “Do I?”

 

She cocked her arm in a final warning.

 

Jeff put his hands up to block. “Ok! Ok. I just remembered.”

 

She lowered her arm slowly. “You better have, just remembered, mister!”

 

“What I was going to say is…” Jeff paused for effect.

 

Growing impatient, she gave him a hard look. “Yes?”

 

He looked into her eyes. The playful mood softened and she could see the love reflecting in Jeff's eyes.

 

He responded as if he was revealing a deep secret. “I am the lucky one.” Jeff's eyes became misty.         “I don't know what I would do without you.”

 

In a moment of complete honesty from her man she became aware of depth and breadth of his love for her and started to cry. He held her tighter in his arms in an attempt to comfort her. Becoming embarrassed that he opened up and exposed himself to her, he tried to make light of the situation. "Come on. Don't get all mushy on me. Don’t cry.”

 

She saw he was embarrassed and tried to make him feel at ease with the tender moment they just shared. “I'm sorry. I'm just so happy we can be this close with each other.”

 

They leaned back held each other and exchanged a kiss. They said nothing more to one another and just listened to the Christmas music that filled the room. The hypnotic blinking of the Christmas lights lulled them to sleep, on the couch, in each others arms.

 

 

 

 

Friday, December 16, 2004 8:30 pm

 

 

Jeffrey felt like he was being watched. He looked up from his Bible to see his mother starring at him.

 

“Your father would have been so proud of you. You have grown into a fine young man.”

 

Jeffrey smiled. “I think you had more to do with that than I.”

 

Jeffrey's mother sighed heavily. “I did the best I could without your father. I know I wasn’t         always         there for you.”

 

Jeffrey didn't like it when she talked like that. “Yes you were. Don’t talk like that. You did a         great job raising me. Dad would have been proud of you.”

 

She smiled. "I know. I just wished you could have known him."

 

Jeffrey took hold of her hand. "I will. He is waiting for us in heaven. Soon we will all be         together and there will be no pain, no sadness, only joy and happiness.”

 

She smiled again. “You look so much like him, so handsome. Of course you’re right, we will all         be reunited someday. But enough of this kind of talk. Happy Birthday!" She looked down at         herself. "I wish I wasn’t in this hospital bed. Then I could have baked you one of my chocolate,         chocolate cakes.”

 

Jeffrey gave her hand a gentle squeeze. “Your chocolate, chocolate cakes were always the best.”

 

She looked back at her son and began to feel guilty for all the sacrifices he had made for her. “A hospital is no place to spend your birthday. You should go out with some friends.”

 

Jeffrey sat up straight. “Nothing doing. I have celebrated every birthday with my mother and I am not going to stop now.”

 

He smiled at her. He could see the love in her eyes. It made him feel so special when she looked at him that way. For just a moment his mind drifted to the thought of being without her and that thought gave him a sharp pain in his chest. He did his best to hide the pain, to ignore it but the thought persisted and so did the pain. He felt sick inside. He looked back down at his Bible, trying to focus on the passages.

 

“Please God, give me strength to make it just a little longer.” He thought to himself.

 

 

 

 

December 16, 1982, 10:20 pm

 

 

Bill had spent the better part of the evening in ‘Joe’s Tavern’, sitting at the end of the bar and watching a game playing on the television. He picked up his glass and downed the gold colored liquid inside. He slammed it on the bar. The bartender looked over at him.

 

“Giv’ me anudder.” He said in a slurred speech.

 

“I think you have had enough, Bill. Let me call you a cab.”

 

“I’ll say whaz enuf. Giv’ me anudder!”

 

The bartender made a gesture with his hand like he was cutting his neck. “Sorry, I am cutting         you off.”

 

Bill picked up his empty glass and hurdled it at the bartender. It missed by a mile. The manager came up behind Bill.

 

“That’s it! I have warned you before. You’re done here.”

 

He picked Bill up by his collar and grabbed the back of his pants. He ushered him out the front door. Bill stumbled but managed to stay on his feet. He spun around to face his attacker but this caused him to lose his balance again. He reached for a newspaper vending machine and missed, landing on the sidewalk with a thud.

 

“Don’t come back in here! You’re not welcome!”

 

The manager stormed back inside. Bill sat up on the sidewalk and tried to get his bearings. After several attempts he managed to get to his feet. He wobbled over to his car, got down on one knee and spent the next five minutes trying to get his key into the door lock.

 

Finally successful he climbed into his car and just sat there trying to sober up. He slapped himself in the face a couple of times and shook his head. When he was confident he could drive he started his car and pulled out.

 

“Damn jerk!” He muttered. “That’s the lass time I patron…(burps)…ize that place.”

 

Bill decided he was not ready to go home yet. He reached under the seat of his car and pulled out an empty bottle of vodka.

 

“Damn! Guess I have to get s'more.”

 

He turned around in the middle of the street and headed for the liquor store at the corner of Lancaster and Dexter.

 

 

 

 

Friday, December 16, 2004, 10:32 pm

 

 

A soft moan called Jeffrey to attention. He looked over at his mother lying in the hospital bed next to him.

Her eyes were closed but she was fitful. He could see she was in pain. If not for the sleep medication she might have awakened. He leaned over and touched her forehead. As he brushed some hair from her face his eyes softened and grew misty.

 

A sound came from the morphine drip machine attached to her. He watched a moment, waiting for the drug to do its job. She seemed to relax a little and her breathing grew softer and deeper. Jeffrey relaxed also. Though it was painful to watch her suffer he valued these times together. Jeffrey worked two jobs now trying to keep up with the bills. He could barely remember a time when she was not sick.

 

He did remember the day she told him she had cancer. It was still vivid in his mind.

 

She called to Jeffrey, “Honey, can you come into the living room for a minute?”

 

Jeffrey hollered back, “I am almost done with the dishes. I will be right there.”

 

“The dishes can wait, Honey.” She steadied her voice. “I need to tell you something.”

 

He didn't like the tone in her voice. She had seemed distracted through dinner. They usually had lively conversations over dinner talking about the day’s activities and other current events. They would pick a topic to discuss and debate every side. He loved how engaged she would get. Tonight was different though. She didn't take the usual bait and when he had asked her a couple times what was wrong she just smiled and said she was tired.

 

He knew there was more but knew better not push the matter. She would tell him when she was ready. She never kept anything from him and he liked that. Even as a small boy she would talk to him as though he was grown up. He came into the living room and sat down with her on the couch.

 

“What’s the matter, Momma.”

 

She tried to speak calmly. “Honey, you know I have been feeling tired lately.”

 

“You work to hard, Momma.”

 

She placed her hand on his. “I saw the doctor today. He had some tests done on me last week.”

 

Jeffrey felt his stomach tighten. “What did he find out?”

 

“There isn't an easy way to say this.” She took a deep breath. “I have cancer.”

 

Jeffrey's head began to spin. He turned the word “cancer” over and over in his mind.

 

He didn't know what to say. “Is it serious?”

 

She spoke in a reassuring voice. “Well dear, cancer is usually serious but the good news is         they caught it early.”

 

Jeffrey perked up. “So they can get rid of it?”

 

She smiled. “They have a lot of options these days for fighting cancer so my chances are good.”

 

He looked into her eyes. He could see she was more concerned for him than herself. He leaned over and gave her a hug. He held her tight, tighter than he had ever before.

 

She whispered, “It is going to be alright, Jeffrey.”

 

“I know, Momma. I will be right here for you. For whatever you need.”

 

“You're a good boy, Jeffrey.”

 

“I love you, Momma.”

 

She rubbed his back. “I love you too, Honey.”

 

He looked down at her now sleeping in her hospital bed. He could feel his emotions welling up inside him.

 

He swallowed hard and whispered. “It won’t be much longer, Momma. I promise.”

 

She didn't stir. He just sat there looking down at her. He looked up at the half eaten birthday cake and smiled. The evening went perfectly. Just the way he had wanted it to. He wanted her last memory to be a happy one.

 

December 16, 1982, 10:32 pm

 

 

“Honey! It’s time!”

 

Jeff woke with a start. “What?”

 

“My water broke!”

 

It took Jeff a second for the words to sink in.

 

“Your water broke!” he exclaimed as if he was the first to notice.

 

“Yes, I know! We need to go now!” She tried unsuccessfully to remain calm.

 

“Right!” Jeff was still stunned by the announcement and was not yet fully awake. “Go where?”

 

“THE HOSPITAL!” She screamed.

 

“Right!” It began to sink in. “Hospital!” Jeff went into emergency mode. “ Get the car, I’ll get         your suitcase.” he commanded.

 

She looked at him like he was an idiot and pointed at her belly. “Honey!”

 

Jeff realized that plan was flawed. “Oh, yeah! I’ll get the car.”

 

Jeff grabbed the keys off the coffee table and ran out the front door. A minute later he came back in through the front door. She looked at him, puzzled.

 

“Car’s in the back.”, he told her.

 

She knew at this rate the kid would be in college by the time Jeff got this right. “Hurry!” she         screamed at him. The screaming didn't seem to help Jeff at all.

 

He ran out the back door. A moment passed then she heard the car start and the tires squeal as the car raced past the house and into the front yard. She heard the car door slam and then footsteps approaching. WHAM! A loud thud came from the other side of the front door before it opened.

 

“Turn knob, then open door,” He muttered as he ran up the stairs.

 

He reappeared a second later with a small suitcase in hand.

 

“Let’s go, Honey!” he shouted as if she was the one holding them up.

 

“I need help getting up,” she pointed out to him.

 

The rest of the scene was much the same. If you have ever watched the 'Keystone Cops' or 'The Three Stooges' you would be familiar with the calamity of Jeff getting his wife to the car. He calmed down a bit once they were on their way.

 

The hospital was only eleven minutes away. He had timed it just to be sure. As they drove Jeff cursed at every red light they hit while his wife was breathing the way you’re taught to in a birthing class. It was unclear whether it was labor pains or Jeff’s driving that had facilitated her breathing regiment.

 

Jeff could see the hospital coming up on the right side. Another red light lay between them and the hospital. Jeff came to a sudden stop and cursed once more. The light seemed to take forever to change, which coaxed more cursing from Jeff.

 

At last, the light changed. As Jeff entered the intersection he caught a glimpse of a car coming at them to his left. It was to late. The sound of steal striking steal and glass breaking filled the night. Their car spun violently across the intersection and hit the traffic signal post. The other car veered to its right and ran into a liquor store on the corner.

 

Jeff laid motionless. His wife’s crying could be heard in the otherwise deserted intersection.

 

 

 

December 17, 1982, 12:12 am

 

 

A doctor in surgical garb stepped out of a patient’s room and walked over to the nurse’s station. As the door to the room closed you could hear a woman crying.

 

“You told her about her husband?” The nurse asked. "She has been asking us repeatedly."

 

The doctor nodded his head.

 

“The poor thing,” The nurse hung her head and shook it slowly back and forth. “She gave birth         to a baby and lost her husband on the same night. Some Christmas for her.”

 

The doctor handed the nurse a chart. “She is resting now. I gave her a sedative. Check on her in         an hour. Let me know if she needs anything.”

 

“Yes doctor. What about the driver that hit them?"

 

The doctor looked at the patient status board and replied, "He is going to make it."

 

The nurse looked disgusted. "Figures! I hope he gets the chair!"

 

"Not my department." The doctor replied.

 

The doctor turned and walked down the hall.

 

The Nurse called out. "Did she name her baby yet?”

 

“Jeffrey.”

 

 

 

 

Friday, December 17, 2004, 12:12am

 

 

Jeffrey got up from his chair and walked over to the door. He peaked out into the hallway and saw the nurse’s station was empty. The nurse had begun her rounds like she had every night, starting in the west wing and working her way back to the east wing. He would have to move quickly.

 

He walked over to the side of his mother’s bed. She was resting peacefully now. He stared down at her. His eyes filled with tears and they rolled down his cheeks as he leaned down and kissed her on the forehead.

 

“It’s time to go home, Momma. Daddy is waiting for us. Everything is going to be perfect

now. You won’t have to hurt anymore.”

 

Jeffrey pushed the button marked ‘Alarm’ on the machine by her bed. The light on the button went dark. He reached behind her head and carefully slid the pillow out from under her. He laid it across her face and pressed down hard. She barely struggled. He looked over at the heart monitor and watched the jagged line racing across the screen. It began to bounce up and down wildly and after a few more passes went flat.

 

He lifted the pillow off her face. He raised her head up to slide the pillow back beneath her. Tears were pouring down his cheeks. He wiped them away, put his jacket, scarf and hat on and walked out the door. He headed down the long corridor to the last door on the right, marked 'Stairs'. He was two flights up when he heard the muffled voice of the nurse shouting, “Code Blue!”

 

At the top of the next flight of stairs was the door marked ‘Roof Access’. He opened the door and stepped out into the frigid night air. A heavy snow had started to fall and quickly blanketed everything. He took another few steps forward and then stopped. Jeffrey reached into his left pocket and pulled out a revolver. He raised it to his head and rested the muzzle against his left temple.

 

He looked up into the night sky and said aloud, “God, forgive me.”

 

The shot echoed into the night as his body slumped to the ground. The flow of blood from the head wound turned the pure white snow red as it pooled beside his body.

 

 

 

You are at an intersection.

 

 

Our lives intersect others every day. We almost never know where they are coming from or where they are going. Only God sees these paths. The next time you feel that twinge in your gut as you cross someone's path, take a moment. Stop thinking about your life and ask, what does God see that you do not?

 

 

© 2008 C. E. Hacker


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

122 Views
Added on February 12, 2008
Last Updated on February 12, 2008

Author

C. E. Hacker
C. E. Hacker

NC



About
C.E. Hacker Born: Glendale, CA July 25, 1969 Residence: Stokesdale, NC Spent 15 years in the Wireless Cellphone business before changing direction to become a writer. First published in Fall of 200.. more..