Rage

Rage

A Poem by William Free
"

The shadows that poison the mind.

"
People, often talk about the things in life they'd like to change. to fix the mistakes they made, or to get back at people who hurt them. they talk and talk but none of them act, they fantasise about all these things they'd do, or how they would get back at those who wronged them. they dream of hate and violence and yearn to give into the rage that burns and smoulders for the sins committed unto them. they believe these thoughts and feelings go unheeded, that no one is listening. they are wrong, more wrong then they could ever possibly imagine. i know because i thought that too, i believed my deepest angers and hurts would smoulder quietly in my soul, safely tucked away from prying eyes. i was wrong, dear god was i wrong. he knows what we think and feel, he hears our deepest and darkest thoughts and he grows fat on them. always he is listening, watching waiting. you seem him from time to time, that flicker in the corner of your eye as your lost in thought. that's him lurking in your shadow, feasting on your emotions. when you walk down a hall and see a shadow with no source pass by. that's him waiting and watching, gnashing his teeth in the hopes that you'll stray down those dark paths of your mind. do not follow him, he is the master of tricks and lies, he hears what you want and will offer you the revenge. he whispers in your ear while you sleep, poisoning your mind, twisting your soul. those words are lies, and the promises bring nought but ashes. he will seduce you, always whispering, constantly, a hum and murmur in your ear if you let him in. you don't even have to invite him, the more you think the closer he comes. whispering louder and louder till it consumes your mind. then, suddenly it stops, the voices the whispering, the shadows dancing in the corners of your eyes are gone. you're safe now, hes gone, no more will you have to fear him. until you realise the truth, hes not gone, you are. you'll watch enraptured as you see yourself, lurch jerkingly from your bed, face twisted in a demonic grin, you're trapped watching as your own body shambles its way out of bed and down the hall. your body is nothing more than a flesh puppet, a marionette dancing to his infernal song. you're dragged along as this beast of darkness and rage pulls you farther along the streams of madness. then you come to realise where it is hes bringing you, and you look at yourself, standing before the precipice. clutched in your curled hand, lies the tool of your freedom, but the cost of that freedom is not an easy one to pay. you must choose, surrender yourself to the beast forever, or take the life of the one you most love. he does not come to grant wishes he is here only to destroy. the hate you felt to those who've done you wrong grants him power, and with that power he does not reward but punish. when your time comes will you sacrifice yourself, or do what i did and in your cowardice, strike down all you hold dear.

© 2017 William Free


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

66 Views
Added on October 13, 2017
Last Updated on October 13, 2017

Author

William Free
William Free

Barrie , Ontario, Canada



About
I am a soldier in the Canadian armed forces. I love to read and write and am an avid fan of horror and fantasy. My dream is one day to get a book published, first I actually need to finish one I start.. more..

Writing
Paths Paths

A Poem by William Free


Gold Gold

A Poem by William Free