******RP CURVE : Forum : Intro: Convention (early)

Intro: Convention (early)

16 Years Ago

I was dressed. It was the white Fred Perry polo shirt with the blue stripe on the collar and oversized khaki slack, slightly hemmed above my ankle with my brown, soft leather ankle boots. I had my bound ramblings in hand - thick as the yellow pages, and my taylored, leather portfolio containing promotional materials for my book(s) and the artwork such as the book covers, and internet ads printed and matted for presentation.

As I stood outside of the Hotel, with a cigarette in hand I noticed the doorman smiling. I just thought he must be in a good mood. I notice the many people inside through the window. ::puff::

I always get this way, sort of nervous... but at least the crowd is much larger than I thought and it is not so much an endurance to adjust to the natural setting and disappear into the crowd, or rather blend in - in terms of being liked and accepted and not awkward or odd. I approach the ashtray by the doorman and greeted him hello, before he had a chance to greet me. The ashtray was filled with some sort of sand with a monogram of the Hotel on it, and it seems there are no other cigarette butts in it - the doorman must be grooming the ashtray. I put my cigarette out. I notice a girl in front of me wearing a smooth black skirt, getting a name tag. Something about her... she was pretty, and I watched her. She was femininely masculine, and floppy...sort of like a cocker spaniel, the rhythm in her walk, and each step she stepped seemed very grounded to the floor in control of gravity. The way her hair bounced in the speed of her strut was as if the wind was blowing her hair. I get in to get my name tag and the two women sitting there asked me simultaneously "Name?" the one to the left made my name tag, and stuck it on me, oppisite the embroidered Fred Perry emblem.

I turned around  to enter the convention and suddenly I see the girl in the smooth black skirt throwing blows at some other girl who was dressd somewhat lacey, and maybe even fragile, fighting back - swinging slaps back at the other girl. I was going to intervene, but before I approached they were both on the floor, unresponsive while the commotion around them was considerate... "are you okay?" should we call a doctor?" do you need a hand up?" I noticed her name tag and said "Scottie" my name is Alexis..."do you need me to call anyone that might want to assist you?" she was still unresponsive; the hotel security was comming this way, and I stood out of thier way...

(6) The Indie Author