******RP CURVE : Forum : "GROUP MESSAGE"

"GROUP MESSAGE"

16 Years Ago

Below is text from an email I received from member Damon Ross Cottrell who plays (5) The Darkside Bestseller. I hope none of us that have been participating take this personally, because I, myself have made this "error" - so lets make sure that we are all open to others suggestions, because it could only make us better role players, which to me is the bottom line of this group, next to what tops the list in becoming better writers.

Here is the email:

Subject: How about some rules for posting?, from Damon Ross Cottrell, May 3, 2008 3:26 PM

Hello. I don't really want to tell you how to run your game, but I have a couple of comments I'd like to make.

I've noticed there are a few kinks in your system that make it hard for characters to interact. Would you consider limiting the number of posts a person puts out in a day? Or, at least, encourage the players to wait for the other players to respond. I'm not used to roleplaying without a few rules to keep the players from stepping on each other's toes.

I don't feel it's a good idea to let people play other people's characters. It takes the fun out of the game. (I would have really liked to respond to Scottie but she had me walk off!)

I don't care what you do, but please do something to improve the way characters interact or else we will just end-up talking to ourselves.

Please make some rules or at least tell me what rules you have.

Life has its ups and downs. You bet!

Another Manic Depressive writer type

Damon Ross Cottrell

My response:

I'm not really sure yet Damon. The freedom from rules and restriction is sort of inticing for new members to contribute their stories especially for people with less experience in RPing. But I trust what you are saying and I want to encourage you to type some standard rules and I can send a copy to all the group members and pitch it to them and even give you a liner credit. But remember, you can assume more than one identity, so don't throw out the window "talking to yurself" completely; talking to yourself could prove to be very dramatic, and enjoyable for the reader (ie: if you wanted to kill yourself off, you could have another character you assume the identity of and do the deed.... but then that would mean there was a murder in our society... ; )

Can I post this entire message to a group thread?

Damons response:

Sure. Share this message with the rest of the group. I'll see if I can think up a few rules for interactions that would smooth things along. I agree that we don't need a bunch of rules to govern things. Maybe, we just need a few courtesies. Glad to help out.

PS   Subject line "Group Message" for story updates will now be titled "UPDATES"  (per Damons request) and save "Group Message" for all of us members whenever we would like to share something with the group in the thread. AND ADD: (that "UPDATES" can be written by any member who feels the spirit to write a consistent summary of our plot.

Footnote: Damon admits in his profile that he has been role playing for some time; lets give him more credit, and I have requested from him to write up a few standards that I will post in the group description, hopefully today before the opening of the "Group Profile Contest," which opens tommorow (May 5) - see contest post on our group home page

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Sorry... I'll slow it down... I just never could figure out if it was real time or not...