A Stream Of Consciousness : Forum : A STREAM OF CONSCIOUSNES..

[reply] [quote]

A STREAM OF CONSCIOUSNESS

16 Years Ago

In literary criticism, stream of consciousness is a literary technique that seeks to portray an individual's point of view by giving the written equivalent of the character's thought processes, either in a loose interior monologue, or in connection to his or her sensory reactions to external occurrences. Stream-of-consciousness writing is strongly associated with the modernist movement. The introduction of the term to describe literature, transferred from psychology

Several notable works employing stream of consciousness are:

• édouard Dujardin's Les Lauriers sont coupés (1888)
  • Arthur Schnitzler's Leutnant Gustl (1901)
  • Nadine Gordimer's July's People
  • Shikibu's The Tale of Genji
  • Lewis Grassic Gibbon's Sunset Song.[citation needed]
  • Dorothy Richardson's Pilgrimage (1915-28)
  • James Joyce's Finnegans Wake, Ulysses (in particular Molly Bloom's Soliloquy), as well as A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
  • Samuel Beckett's Trilogy
  • Virginia Woolf's Mrs. Dalloway, To the Lighthouse and The Waves
  • William Faulkner's The Sound and the Fury and As I Lay Dying
  • Robert Anton Wilson & Robert Shea's Illuminatus![citation needed]
  • William Styron's Lie Down in Darkness[citation needed]
  • Samuel R. Delany's Dhalgren[citation needed]
  • Hubert Selby Jr.'s Last Exit to Brooklyn[citation needed] and Requiem for a Dream[citation needed]
  • Jerzy Andrzejewski's Gates to Paradise[citation needed]
  • Will Christopher Baer's Phineas Poe Trilogy (Seen in all of Kiss Me, Judas and Hell's Half Acre and parts of Penny Dreadful)[citation needed]
  • Patrick McCabe's The Butcher Boy[citation needed]
  • T. S. Eliot's The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock
  • Oğuz Atay's Tutunamayanlar (The Disconnected)[citation needed]
  • Jack Kerouac's On the Road
  • J. D. Salinger Seymour: An Introduction
  • Sam Selvon's The Lonely Londonders
  • Marcel Proust's In Search of Lost Time
  • William Burroughs's Naked Lunch
  • Hermann Hesse's Steppenwolf
  • Bahram Bayzai's Death of Yazdgerd
    • The technique has been parodied, for example by David Lodge in the final chapter of The British Museum Is Falling Down.

From Google// ----- Eagle Cruagh

[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Surely consciousness implies a structured stream of thought as opposed to incoherent ramblings of a diseased or confused mind. Thr babblings of a drunk or one under the influence of drugs etc cannot be considered streams of thought in the same way that a conscious persons thoughts are formulated?
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

I beg to differ.  A stream is whatever is in your head, important or insignificant, it is still there, and sometimes needs to be set free to roam the page.  I find streams enormously cathartic, and that's why I write them.  You may not find my streams personally fulfilling, but a stream is like an improvisation in jazz: not every one is profound, but in the heat of the moment, it transcends.  I live for that heat.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Originally posted by Poeticpiers

Surely consciousness implies a structured stream of thought as opposed to incoherent ramblings of a diseased or confused mind. Thr babblings of a drunk or one under the influence of drugs etc cannot be considered streams of thought in the same way that a conscious persons thoughts are formulated?

I'd say that "incoherent" speaks for itself. I imagine that afterward, the writer may find whatever emotion led to the wording and edit it to provide a logical statement, or not. Poets are typically looking for new ways to express. I like interesting language, but if I can't figure out what is being said, I go somewhere else.

have fun 

[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

James Joyce, T. S. Elliot and others were roundly condemned in their time

because people could not understand them, or understanding them, they came

to the conclusion the writers were idiots.

Well, considering the pure,  classic,  creative genius level thought common to

both of those fine gentlemen, I have to ask;  who are the idiots ?

I ask no credit and will accept none for A STREAM OF CONSCIOUSNESS.

It is not my idea, I only bring the idea to you, because in the world of literature

there is no question about the desirability, no the requirment, to write from that

strange place in our minds where great ideas take root and blossom, putting down

roots in the minds of others.

Some have spoken of the ramblings of drunks and idiots.  How I would love to

read the mind of a drunk, who would not want to know the mind of an idiot ?

I have read the drivel produced by great play-writes and greater authors and I

swear to you , they would have done better had they been drunk---- the sales of

their books and plays are clear evidence of  their abilities, non-existant, if you count

the receipts.

Thank you for listening.

---- Eagle Cruagh

[reply] [quote]

What? Subject...

16 Years Ago

Stream of consciousness.

Take a look at that. The focus isn't about coherence. Sober people can be incoherent.

The focus is 'being conscious'. And when we are conscious, the mind unloads.

to the floor of the listener's mind. Yes?

So show me mine

mind?

*grin*

Heather, trying to get use to this posting function. It rattles!