A Stream Of Consciousness : Forum : Survey

[reply] [quote]

Survey

15 Years Ago

Hi! My name is Donni and I am a newbie to both this site and to writing.  I've dabbled in it but never more that dipping my toe in. Now I've plunged into the deep end and am going for it!

I have enjoyed the interact with other authors here and one dialog that I've had with one has got me thinking. Long-story-short: The other author shared that when they've created angst, rant poetry their ratings went up and the viewing of their work was much higher than when he wrote inspirational, higher consciousness pieces. Being too knew to this I don't have much to draw from- but being a certified Pollyanna I find myself asking "Really?" So it is time to put the question out there: What is your preference? I am not going to do this survey with parameters, I'll let this be a free flow- what's your viewpoint?
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

Hello Donni,

In response to your letter where you discuss the great education in

writing from authorities in the Cafe, let me be the first to say----Bull !

When I first came here one of the first encounters was a learned person

who tore apart a friend`s writing and had that person in tears.  He proceeded

to "teach" her how to write.

What the authority did not realize, or chose not to notice, was this friend of

mine was an accomplished writer before she ever came here.

The authority who attempted to teach her how to write has long ago left the

scene.

My friend later became about the most respected writer in Cafe, also at times

giving advice to neophytes.

Me ?  My part in this ?   I have tried to be a friend to beginners.  I do not write

well.  I am overly simplistic and dedicated to "A Stream of Consciousness".

My advice :   Write what you feel, when you feel it.  If you need it edited, you

can always call on the foot soldiers of writing, us.

Respectfully,

------- Eagle Cruagh

[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

Thanks for the invitation to participate, Eagle Craugh and thank you for the post, Donni.

I am another newbie to this site and arrive on the scene with skepticism; sorry! I've been writing forever but just tried writing for the web six months ago. (Who hasn't read those eHow articles without punctuation?) BUT, I also know there are plenty of people out there who encourage and are happy to see you putting yourself out there.

My point? Remember that the people who are least sure of themselves will be first in line to criticize but, thankfully, they are the minority. Happy writing!

[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

newbie here!!

it is quite true. i am a newbie to this site, yet not to writing. but my writing is quite different then most. many writers follow rules and structure. me?? i tend to write down whatever comes to my mind in that moment in time. honestly. if you read my poetry, you will see that i just mainly use words instead of sentences. i do not rhyme when i write. i merely jot down words that flow into my mind.

this type of writing has always given me mixed reviews. some people enjoy it. loving my ability to write freely and still come up with something that holds great emotion. others though, criticize me and talk down to me. telling me i have no structure, no rules. and that my work makes no sense. yet the thing they do not understand is that it does. i do have a form to my art. and it is a form i have followed for years now. and i am very happy with what i have created.

so my words are these: write whatever your heart and mind desires. now, if you wish to become a published writer, you may have to conform to some rules. but do not change completely. merely seek out different publishers till you find the right one. just because one says no, does not mean you are doomed. also, you are your worst critique. there have been plenty of poems and stories that i have torn apart because i hated them. even though a lot of people i knew loved them. so always ask friends for advice. and ask them to be honest. ask them for editing help, but do not get angry if they say a lot is wrong with it. merely take into consideration what they have told you, and then make the changes you feel that is necessary. remember, it is your writing. not theres.

well i have rambled on enough. if you have any questions or wish for help, do not be afraid to come to us. i know i am always glad to help other artists out.