Alpha Readers : Forum : Feedback on my first 10 scenes

Feedback on my first 10 scenes

9 Years Ago

I have someone outside of WC who read the first 5 chapters (first 10, on here) and had some suggestions and thoughts about my story.
Here's what he sent and what I sent back to him.
If you guys have any feedback or anything that can help me out in making this story work a little more effectively, please toss in your input!

-I think the biggest problem this draft needs right now is a little less focus on the plot and more on character. Tele is very one-dimensional right now. She's looking for safety, trying to find a way out and a way to survive. I read a story or a book for characters and for surprise. Right now, I don't think these chapters have any real surprise. Give Tele something unique about her character right at the start. A unique voice goes a long way, and, right now, I feel like right now, she has the same story that I've read before from other dystopian young adult novels. She lost everything and is now given an opportunity for adventure.

This was something I was concerned about from the start. The genre is the Epic Fantasy niche and the beginning is cliche of the style. I did try to do many things that do not follow the same troupes, so I kind of hoped it would make up for that generic slant. Tele is (as I hoped was gathered from these chapters) around 22. She's lived as a fugitive her whole life so she's gathered some skills and characteristics that would be expected of that (introvert, very skilled at combat and thievery) while also maintaining a "do-good" attitude. She's obviously inexperienced in dealing with normal situations as she has had an abnormal childhood. She also holds a near photographic memory.
Navid is around 22 as well. He's a Seer but doesn't have a good hold on his abilities. This is a bit odd for a Seer of his age and he's highly incompetent compared to Tele (He can't cook, he pretty much is useless in battle, he looses an extremely valuable book). On the flip side, if he can get to the point of using his Seer's ability, Seers are VERY competent in certain areas.
My other primary viewpoint character is Prince Gabriel (age 17). He's kind of angsty and probably has the most unique voice out of them all. His story hasn't started yet but I am considering starting it a bit early because he is a little more interesting.
I also intended this to be more Early Adult rather than YA. I would consider scaling it to a more YA feel if and agent or editor felt it was more appropriate. Which it may be considering it has coming of age elements and deals with Characters primarily between the ages of 15 and 25.

-The idea of a prophecy always makes me skeptical right off the bat because of the sheer amount of prophecy-based series we've all read in the past decade or so, namely Harry Potter and The Inheritance Cycle. The idea's been done quite a bit, and the only way to make another one work is if there's something all together different about it. Just think what you would say to pitch your book to an agent or publisher and think about whether the same pitch could be used for any of the huge book series that everyone has read.

This is something I also had been concerned with. 
I don't think that the way I'm doing it has been done before... I could be wrong, but I wanted to take an interesting spin on the idea... I'm not entirely sure how to make a good pitch with this but here's how the prophecy and the magic system works.
- First, there are Prophets but there is no written prophecy. Prophecies are like instinct. There aren't prophecies that assure that anything will, unavoidably, happen or anything written for anyone to decipher and mistake what the prophecy actually means.... unless, of course, a prophet wants to mislead someone who doesn't understand how it works...... Prophecy is a foresight game and prophets can use it to slowly pull strings to their agendas - A statistical game. However, Prophets mostly have large scale views of the world. Their abilities are strongest when looking at long term projections dealing with the averaging on many stochastic elements. The world naturally balances itself to have 7 prophets. Part of the plot is about what happens when most of those prophets are whipped out and new ones have to replace them without the guidance of the former hierarchy. 
- Seers are a separate form of prophet. They are only effective on small-scale, short-term eventualities. They kind of have a Jedi feel to them where it gives them a huge advantage in battle because they can (provided they maintain control) predict sudden enemy moves. Because of this, Seers are dangerous in combat.
- The 3rd magic form is that of a Wizard. There is one 1 Wizard in the world. This is also naturally balancing. Part of the bigger plot has to do with what happens when there are 2 and the havoc it creates. Wizards affect the present (prophets - the future on large scale, seers - the near future on small scale, the seed - stores the past), but their power is in the form of raw energy. When tapped, it must be focused in order to be effective to complete tasks. This is where the Covenant comes into play. The Covenant was commissioned by a Wizard to learn about the world (they're basically like scientists). Magic has to have a "program" to focus the energy. This is a spell form written/drawn in a book (or really, on anything) by a wizard with his own blood. However, without the knowledge and vision to write an effective "program" the raw magic isn't very useful (ie. raw electricity isn't useful unless guided by a proper circuit).
- The Seed is an entity that deals with the past.......... ;)

So, as I said... I'm not exactly sure how to properly pitch this... Any ideas to either make it better or more unique? Is there a definable hook factor?

-One thing that really bothered me throughout was the names Navid and Tele(NAY-vid / Nah-VID / NAH-vid / Nah-VEED; TEL-ee / TEL / TEEL / TUH-lee...?) I have no idea how exactly to pronounce these, so I tripped up every time I came across one of them. Names only serve to give an easy label to the characters, so if your readers don't know how to pronounce them, it defeats the purpose entirely. This is obviously a fairly easy change, though, in my opinion, really necessary. If you want a unique name, use a name we have in our world and spell it strangely or use something that clearly only has one possible pronunciation. (Names like Kadin, Orvus, Ry, Telleo, Siry, etc. are all unmistakably pronounced and smooth to read.)

Good point. I'll see what I can do on this. Many of my names are based on Indian names as India is fascinating to me. I can definitely do better in this arena.

-Have you considered writing this in first-person? It might help to give Tele a distinguished voice. Is she sarcastic? Is she arrogant? Intelligent? Logical? Naïve?

Apart from personally disliking reading novels in first person (in general unless the voice is really really good), I'm not sure I can pull it off due to having 3 primary viewpoint characters and 3 other viewpoint one off viewpoints planned.

-I can't real have much of an opinion on the plot really right now other than to say that I feel like you might be trying to throw too much into the first 78 pages. I might consider slowing down a little bit more, and using a few scenes that are a little more irrelevant to the Seers and the failure of Desera to give some insight into Tele and Navid's characters while also showing us exactly what kind of world they live in.

This is really good to know. I was concerned that the pace was too slow... but now I think it has more to due with the other issues you pointed out (there isn't a definable hook form the start, Tele feeling one-dimensional, etc.)

Re: Feedback on my first 10 scenes

9 Years Ago

On character development:

It is the most important thing there is in writing. No two ways about it. To appeal to an audience (especially a YA audience) you need to make the reader want to be the character. This is especially hard if the character is closed off or sullen.

Can you make me want to be her? Why would I?

I suggest an experiment. Write 500 words that is not in this current storyline. Tell us a scene from before her family was killed. Don't worry about plot or surprise but follow Tele around for an afternoon and make us love her. Let us see that before you plan a rewrite.

On prophesy:

I wouldn't sweat it. Lots and lots of stories have prophesy in them and many will after you're done. As long as you don't fall into the usual cliches of how it is used, you'll be okay.

On names:

I wouldn't sweat it, personally. Readers can cope with unusual names.

On first-person:

I love writing in first person. It can be a turn-off for some readers, but if you're not comfortable writing in that style then don't even try it. It does limit your story options and your discomfort may show through.

On plot:

I'm a little conflicted on the plot. There have been opportunities to get us worried about where things are going, but the hook isn't really set. Two books have been lost and "bad things will happen if they fall into the wrong hands" but us readers have no idea what those bad things are. When will we find out? If this is important enough to drive the story forward, then I'd like the story to show me that.

There's a wide spectrum between "Tele goes to the mall to buy a pack of M&M's" and "Tele throws the ring of doom into the lava pit to save all of humanity," if you know what I mean, but us readers still don't know where on the spectrum this story lays.

Hope that helps, but my advice is worth all you paid for it!

Re: Feedback on my first 10 scenes

9 Years Ago

thanks for bouncing some ideas for me.
Cher (speedyhobbit) has been doing a lot of flash fiction using her characters and I really want to start doing a few short pieces to help me flesh out these characters a bit more. I'm sure they're helping Cher.
Thanks for the excellent idea. I'm going to do that and post it.

As for plot, I'm a little worried that (within the first few chapters) I'm not giving enough background info about the conflicts. I'm trying to avoid exposition and sprinkle it in. However, now I'm worried that I took it a bit too slow. I had hoped that I would have pretty much all the important pieces in place by the time I hit my first viewpoint change.