Alpha Readers : Forum : Song Lyrics Characters Can Rel..

Song Lyrics Characters Can Relate To

9 Years Ago

Does anyone else have a character spring instantly to mind when listening to certain songs? Happens to me fairly often. I think of specific characters at various times in their life. There are many reasons, I think, behind some of the associations I make. I'll explain some and then include relevant lyrics in a distinct font. Here's some:

Prayer of the Refugee by Rise Against
This is one of the more obvious
associations. I think of the plight of Folco, Lindo and what I currently call hobbits until I devise the perfect name for their race in Fallen Ones and Traitor Princess. They get the joys of fleeing their homeland Dremeadow in the winter after the New Years drama. Talk about a bad start for a new year, right? (And there will be many more by Traitor Princess. Fallen Ones and the sort of treatment those accused of treason for such reasons as ) They're a peaceful group, hardly the sort to relish such a tumultous turn of events. The parts of the song standing out most:

1. We are the angry and the desperate,
The hungry, and the cold,
We are the ones who kept quiet,
And always did what we were told.

2. So open your eyes child,
Let's be on our way.
Broken windows and ashes
Are guiding the way.
Keep quiet no longer,
We'll sing through the day,
Of the lives that we've lost,
And the lives we've reclaimed

Nobody's Home by Avril Lavigne
This one rings a bell in particular to Xenia. I won't get more specific for the sake of those who have not read Traitor Princess, but suffice it to say she's very much the outcast of the family and at loggerheads with her parents in Democracy's End (as I hope I sufficiently showed in opening chapters) even before the s**t hits the fan later in that book.

Open your eyes and look outside, find the reasons why.
You've been rejected, and now you can't find what you left behind.
Be strong, be strong now.
Too many, too many problems.
Don't know where she belongs, where she belongs.
She wants to go home, but nobody's home.
It's where she lies, broken inside.
With no place to go, no place to go to dry her eyes.
Broken inside.
Her feelings she hides.
Her dreams she can't find.
She's losing her mind.
She's fallen behind.
She can't find her place.
She's losing her faith.
She's fallen from grace.
She's all over the place.

~~

Got plenty more but will have to wait! Anyone else experience that effect?

Re: Song Lyrics Characters Can Relate To

9 Years Ago

Song lyrics don't generally remind me of my own characters, but I can think of at least one song that I do get really strong visual images from. Probably because of the story nature of the song...

Rocky Raccoon by The Beatles

9 Years Ago

I've never considered this. I'm going to start listening for it.

9 Years Ago

This happens to me all the time, it's ridiculous. It may or may not have to do with how insanely obsessed I am with trying to add more depth with my characters...but I know the rest of my family doesn't appreciate it. Just the other day, I had my phone on shuffle and something by Within Temptation came on (first of all, LOVE that band) and I smacked my boyfriend on the arm and started freaking out because it reminded me of one of my characters. (Moral of the story: People don't like to be randomly smacked on the arm unless it's at a ball game...)

Yeah...it's pretty bad. If I can remember what song it was (I think it was "Memories"...) then I'll let y'all know! :)