ArabellaMortimerHendry MSBELLE16 : Forum : PRODUCTION LOOKBACK : Joseph a..

[reply] [quote]

PRODUCTION LOOKBACK : Joseph andrews

10 Years Ago

" This week, we have been performing our adaption of the play. That was written by Henry Fielding " Joseph Andrews"

At the start of the week we did a technical and dress rehearsal. In all i have three costume changes:

Highwayman= For this i wore 18th century boots, and pirate style clothing. The prop i had with this costume, was a replica of the Flintlock pistol. I enjoyed playing this character because she was very secretive and dodgy.  

Mrs Truillber- The pig farmer. This was the most complex costume. For this i wore a fat suit, four skirts and an apron. bearing in mind that im only five foot and eight stone. To bulk me out even more i also had 2 layers of socks on as well as wellington boots. I loved playing this character because she had so much potential. 

She was the comedy element to the play. So it was important for me to make sure that she was, and make sure that the audience enjoyed her company. On some nights performing i would try out new movements, to see what the audiences reaction would be. And it paid off!! one of the reviews i got after my Performance at Guildford School Of Acting. was that someone was crying with laughter. 

The last character I portrayed in our production of Joseph Andrews. Mrs Andrews is the main characters mother. For this character i wore an 18th century style dress. The dress was secured up by a black lace and also the sleeves had frills on the end of them! which i loved :) 

I liked all my costumes, and thought they added the right amount of entertainment to the production. The play is set in the french renaissance era, and so the majority of the cast had, white powdered wigs on and "fop" make up on. 

At the beginning of that week, i was worried about playing the characters correctly. I wanted to give them the right personality and characteristic, in which Henry Fielding would of wanted them to have.  But in all i think it worked well :)