Authorpreneur : Forum : Newsletter idea

Newsletter idea

17 Years Ago

I think it would be a good idea if we create some type of newsletter and send out out weekly/monthy with interviews with us, book signings/book listings/etc. I think if we created that and include blogs from some of us within it that it'll be a good tool to help promote each of us.

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

That is a great idea. We need to consider how to create it and then how to promote it. Any ideas for a name?

Clary

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

This is a fantastic idea one that would certainly promote our work. However, if we did a newsletter (electronic) to include a blog, who would maintain all of the entries? Or would we set it up similar to Wikipedia where anyone could edit/add content? Your thought please. --Debra

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

That is a good idea! Maybe we could set up a group blog on www.blogspot.com, or, like suggested, Wikipedia, or both! If it's a group thing, the entries could be updated by everyone at will. What would be the formatting of it? Since it's a professional thing, how would the authors involved feel about overly personal posts, etc?

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

The idea of banding together to promote ourselves and our work is tremendously powerful. Especially for those of us who self-publish of use POD services, the ability to see our work reviewed in print is severely limited.
If I may be so bold, the method of taking this idea to the next step would probably require handing out assignments for design and content.
Even starting out by sending the finished product to our collective e-mail contacts, we could easily have circulation in the thousands.
I'm in. Who's willing to take on a specific role in development - and what would your preferred position be?

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

I've been doing a little bit of research on Writers Group Blogs, and have found at least two sites that might work. Typepad offers a multi-author format, but unfortunately they are a pay site ($14.95 a month). I don't think this is effective as it may be difficult for some to contribute to paying that on a regular basis.

The best thing I've found so far is blogspot.com. We could set it up as a multi-author blog ourselves. As far as design goes, they have several templates set up for ready use.

To keep it relevant, it would need to be updated at least once or twice a week. With schedules and what not, we would need to figure out a rotation, etc.

Also, how many authors should the blog/newsletter have?

By the way, I'm going to repost this idea in the Published Authors group as well!

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

I have four blogs at Blogger.com and they are relatively easy to update. I'm in like Flint on this idea, so let me know what and when I need to do anything. My time is open right now but I will be going back to work full time in Febrary. Get me now while I've got the time so we can move this fantastic idea down the road. Success is calling our names! --Debra

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

I have a TypePad account which we can use. I like the ability to have everyone participate on the blog, something I don't believe Blogger has. Also, with TypePad we can see the traffic reports which Blogger doesn't offer as well.

Any thoughts on a name?

Clary
My Official Site
Free Book Promotion

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

I have a Author/Reader Forum already set up,Literary Lounge, that we could possibly use as well for this kind of venture. It's part of my Free Book Promotion site to authors in Guerrilla Marketers' Cafe but perhaps I could open it up to other authors as well.

I made it so that the authors could be listed under the Author's Round Table and you can also choose your genre for discussions and interactions with readers. There is a Contest area, book signing announcements etc. if you wan to announce an event as well.

Check it out and tell me what you think about using it.

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

I think w/ blogspot/blogger you can have multiple authors just by giving everyone that's involved the login info. Even though TypePad has a nice set up too, if the account gets closed for any reason, then all of our posts would be lost. Blogspot also allows for linking to our own personal blogs (I have one at amazon.com) and web sites, as well as other writing/publishing sites of interest.

As for a name, I'll throw a few in. Don't egg me if they're no good ::drool::

Write!

Spinning a Yarn

Writers Write and Unite

Ink Blot Blog

The Mighty Pen

Authors Blogging (like pedestrian crossing/crosswalk)

Write, Write, and Write Some More

##

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

I have a few blogger accounts and what I don't like about it is:

1- the lack of statistics reports on traffic
2- you can' highlight posts
3- create different categories for the posts, etc.

I own the account and I'm not planning to go anywhere. This account will active for a long time to come. But just in case, TypePad also has a feature to import/export the posts to a file or website if necessary.

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

I've never used either of the services being considered, so my comments and opinion on this topic are of limited value, I'm sure. However, if we accept the theory that any publicity is good publicity - and add to that the idea that any new skill we develop is a good thing, then I suspect either option will accomplish the majority of our goals.

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

What about WordPress (www.wordpress.com)? It seems to have all of those features (statistics, etc.), plus it's free and we can all start from scratch. Also, you can import from TypePad and other blog sites, build separate bio pages, index blogs, upload pictures, and it has a multiple author feature. There are more features too. I know an author that has one and it seems to work pretty well for him. Since it's compatible with TypePad, it might work out well. ::biggrin::

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

I'm not familiar with WordPress at all. I signed up for an account with them but couldn't figure it out. I won't volunteer for that one. Did you check the Author/Reader Forum I have?

Clary

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

I did, but the forum doesn't seem to allow for maximum publicity and interaction for the kind of thing that has been suggested. While it looks great for your site, you have to click on it instead of just heading to the site and reading it, like a regular blog. I'm not sure if that really suits the purpose of this. But that's just my one opinion.

I used a private WordPress for a company I worked for a while back, it seemed okay, though it wasn't for the same thing we're all talking about here. I can show anyone how to use it to the best of my knowledge, plus if we all pitch in it can be easy enough to get over any pitfalls. This should be a democratic group effort, with no particular person in control of what happens to the entire blog/newsletter.

Another issue with TypePad is that by using one person's paid account, that gives them ultimate control of what happens to it. It's not anything against you, Clary, it's just I don't think that for a group effort that would work. Unless everyone is willing/able to pay for the account, then one person has the rule and the responsibility. We all go through different things that could have an effect on a paid blog, from unexpected financial tightening to personal things that could effect the group blog/newsletter. I don't think that's fair to anyone that would be involved. Are there any other suggestions besides Blogspot/Blogger, TypePad, Forums/Chatrooms, or WordPress? Or does anyone else have an opinion of what could work best among those? I'm just one person here.

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

In any endeavour you have to have someone in charge and making sure that it goes in the direction we plot it to go. Everyone will have access in order to contribute, just like this place here; WritersCafe offers us the platform and we, up to some extent have control over our posts and entries, but someone needs to get it going and have control of it of the site.

I just volunteered my account because I'm familiar with it and know how to work with it but maybe others can suggest something else.

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

I've been sick lately but I do keep an eye out for messages and respond when needed. I love the idea of news letters.

As for as the blog goes- Can't help there, unless you want to link a few together so that you can get the best out of each. I've done that before, for my own personal use, but never for a group.

As for as a name- My son calls me a Pen-Pusher. But I'll give the name-thing more thought.

Ok, that's it for now. I'll check back later. ::smile::

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

I guess if nobody else has any suggestions as to which blog site, then maybe we should just go ahead and use your (Clary's) TypePad account. This seems like it could be a really good project and I for one don't want to let logistics get in the way. Maybe we could just set some "ground rules" on what happens in case of the un-foreseeable, i.e., what happens if there's an unexpected financial crisis - would someone else take over the financial responsibility or would the rest of the group? What happens if you (Clary) for some reason decide to leave the group or other personal issues arise that could have some impact on the account? Just a basic foundation so we all have an idea of how to work things out just in case.

Jamie mentioned before in one of his posts about each person taking a particular role. I could do research for anything we might need to get the blog/newsletter looking the way we need it to.

Hope this helps! ::happy::

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

I tell you what, let's go with the WordPress account. If we use my account the site will be a subdomain of mine and the URL will be too long. If we open a whole new account we can integrate the name of the group on the URL and it will be easy to find and promote.

Like I said, I'm not that familiar with it but I know it's a great blog platform. If someone can help me I can do it. I will be glad to:

-set up the new blog account
-receive the suggestions for topics
-prepare a preliminary schedule to have one of us post on the blog on a certain day
-suggest the layout content of the blog

We can also schedule a live chat with those wanting to participate within my site to discuss the details.

Please think of names so that we can come up with a really catchy one for readers, that's what we want.

To our success!

Clary
My Official Site
Free Book Promotion

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

Hey guys...how many "newsletters" do you actually subscribe to? I do to a few (from major things like Writer'sMarket and WritersDigest)...but really, do you think our own newsletter is going to be worth all the trouble? The people who would subscribe (people in groups and on sites like this, family, friends, coworkers)...we already know how to reach these people in multiple ways (blogs, emails, whathaveyou)...so how many new "readers" can we actually obtain? I personally don't subscribe to most newsletters offered to me because I know most of it will just be advertisements for things I'm not interested in or a reposting of things I would be interested in that I have already looked at. I don't mean to discourage this idea...I just thought I would throw those thoughts out there. Maybe I'm a minority in my ideas about newsletters. Let me know what you think...it would be nice if you could prove me wrong!

First Page first
Previous Page prev