Beats Of Heart And Soul : Forum : Do you have a favorite book yo..

[reply] [quote]

Do you have a favorite book you read time and again ?

16 Years Ago

I do .. many ..
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Hi,

Wow, I do... many as you said. I would say JANE EYRE by Charlotte Bronte is my most read book... Then it would be ANNA KARENINA by Tolstoy. After that, anything by Chaim Potok, Hermann Hesse, Jane Austen... they have been repeatedly read. I know I am forgetting a great many writers, but it is 4 in the morning. LOL That gives you a clue anyway.

Elaine

[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Originally posted by E. M. Murren

Hi,

Wow, I do... many as you said. I would say JANE EYRE by Charlotte Bronte is my most read book... Then it would be ANNA KARENINA by Tolstoy. After that, anything by Chaim Potok, Hermann Hesse, Jane Austen... they have been repeatedly read. I know I am forgetting a great many writers, but it is 4 in the morning. LOL That gives you a clue anyway.

Elaine

Elaine, I love both books.. I have not read Chaim Potok, what would you suggest for a first read?
Why you up at 4 in the morning? LOL... sounds like me..
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

This looked like an interesting thread...I have several books that I read every several years, they include The Shining ( Stephen King, scariest book every), The Sun also Rises and Garden of Eden (wish I was with Hemingway in Paris) and In Pursuit of Love/Love in a Cold Climate (Nancy Mitford). Anyone else ventured this direction???

C

[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

Originally posted by cyanskye

This looked like an interesting thread...I have several books that I read every several years, they include The Shining ( Stephen King, scariest book every), The Sun also Rises and Garden of Eden (wish I was with Hemingway in Paris) and In Pursuit of Love/Love in a Cold Climate (Nancy Mitford). Anyone else ventured this direction???

C

Hello :)

I love those books ,, well worth many reads.. so glad you joined the group!

Peace

Chloe
xoxo

Warren Zevon .. love him may he RIP.. also George Carlin ... loved him ...
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

I always re-read "The Chronicles of Narnia". My grandmother gave me the collection as a set one year for Easter or something. I've been hooked ever since.

[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

Lol I'm reading The Chronicles for the first time. I bought the entire collection in a trade paperback around 750 pages. I'm reading The Voyage of the Dawn Treader now, almost two-thirds the way through the books. I have to say one of my favorite books is The Thief of Always by Clive Barker. I also have to say that Mr. Barker generally scares the crap out of me (more terrifying than Steven King or Anne Rice in my opinion) and is a most remarkable author. The Green Mile was a favorite from the King.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

I like Wuthering Heights by her sister as well. All the Bront'e girls were so remarkablly talented. Anna Karenina was too involved for me to enjoy reading that much of it. I tried a couple of times. I am a big Jack London fan.  And I read Walden by Thoreau to relax sometimes and some Emerson. I have The Illuminated Waldon(Wawrzonek/ Friedman /Fairfax)) with photos from Waldon Pond and the woods, its SOOO peaceful just to look at and read. Also the Collected D.H. Lawrence...my copy is dog eared. lol
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

a few. 'on the road' , 'big sur' by kerouac.  and cannery row by steinbeck, 'for whom the bell tolls' hemingway, 'of human bondage' somerset maugham.
these ones remind of the great potential of words on a page. 

[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

Originally posted by benjamin wuamett

a few. 'on the road' , 'big sur' by kerouac.  and cannery row by steinbeck, 'for whom the bell tolls' hemingway, 'of human bondage' somerset maugham.
these ones remind of the great potential of words on a page. 

I have not read the book by Maugham, Of  Human Bondage.. i love Jack, Hemingway and of course Stienbeck.. all are great pieces of literature.
Grapes of Wrath is one of many i really like.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

Stranger in a Strange Land, by Robert Heinlein
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

Originally posted by E. M. Murren

Hi,

Elaine

I actually read Jane Eyre for the first time for my Lit. & Film class--it started slow as hell and I think Rochester is the more interesting character (espicially the reinterpetation of him by Orson Wells in the '44 movie adaptation), but otherwise not a bad book. Probably not one I would read repeatedly.

For me, it would be: Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas, by Hunter S. Thompson, Anthem by Ayn Rand, and Crooked Little Vein by Warren Ellis.