By The Sword : Forum : Problems...

Problems...

17 Years Ago

This thread is for discussing problems/dead-ends when writing. One of the hardest things to do, at least for me, is to get all the historical details down, especially dialogue. Thankfully, there are some reference books out there that are helpful (though none for dialogue that I've found)

So post any concerns or questions here when writing (how something is said, how a flintlock pistol works, the difference between a schooner and frigate, etc.)

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

It's all in the details that makes the story. Always.

There are books on dialogue but I don't remember the titles. I had to use some in a few of my writing classes. The books were in the Writing Center so they weren't mine or I'd go and get them to let you know.

Some ships used back then:

Sloops, cutters, merchant brig, grand frigate, merchant galleon, war brig, and war frigate.

Commodities ships carried as cargo:

Herbs, spices, cloth, dyes, forageables, minerals, ship supplies, hemp, hemp oil, iron, wood, lacquer, stone, sugar cane, and varnish.

Pirate/ship ranks:

Cabin person, pirate, fleet officer, jobbing pirate, officer, senior officer, and captain.

Duty stations on a ship:

Carpentry, bilging, sailing, navigating, gunning, look out and on some ships rowing.

Swabbies are people who do cleaning and serving only. Plus were great to practice swordfighting with besides fellow pirates.

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

yea i use pirateinfo.com... a good book that i use is "The Sea Rovers Practice" by Benerson Little. Nice pics and details of pirate tactics. A must have.

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

blades (word thesaurus doesnt have)
sword, rapier, sabre, dagger, paniard, stiletto, cutlass, bayonet, penknife, jacknife.

i know there are more, but that is what i could find with a minimum of effort.

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

Typical Pirate/Nautical Weapons:

Boarding pike, musket, plug baynoet, pistol, blunderbuss, boarding axes, iron grenade, cast clary grenade, "improvised" genade

Typical Pirate Swords:

Double shell guard cutlass /Falchion blade, double shell guard cutlass w/knuckle bow, round guard cutlass w/flat knuckle bow, cup-hilt rapier, and smallsword

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

Bludgeoning weapons for pirates:

Gaff, rope coils, belaying pin, brass knuckles, leather gloves, fists of course, chains, blackjack, cane, skull rings, hammer, gauntlets and fish.

Typical furniture for pirates:

Clawfoot tub, globe table, globe, bench, sofa, fancy bed, cot, bedroll, bench with jugs, bunk, chairs of different styles, display case of treasures and trinkets, desks, book desk, dresser, different types of tables, stool, wardrobe, bags, barrels, various chests, crates, cashbox, scales, anvil, sometimes a loom, sometimes a mannequin, bar shelf, sinks, spinning wheel possibly, still, swordrack, bludgeoning trunk, and tap.

Pirate drinks:

Swill, grog, wine, and rum.

Pirate drinking containers:

Goblet, tankard, pitcher, stein, and chalice.

Clothing for guys:

Boots, boots with gaiters, fancy boots, buckle shoes, bandana, sleeping hat, turban, tricorne, conquistador helmet, captain's hat, crown, feathered hat, muskateer hat, fez, wig, diving helmet, pantaloons, knickers, loose pants, loose pants with sash, kilt, shirt with sash, apron, muscle shirt, frilly shirt, frilly shirt with sash, shirt with vest, captain's jacket, bandolier jacket, swashbuckler's jacket, vest with sash, cape, conquistador's armour, jerkin, and belt with bracers.

Clothing for females:

Boots, fancy boots, buckle shoes, curled slippers, bandana, feathered hat, wide-brimmed hat, tricorne, captain's hat, tiara, scarf, muffin hat, ornate headdress, wig, diving helmet, knickers, short dress skirt, flare pants, long dress skirt, wrap, gown skirt, bloomers, shirt with belt, shirt no belt, apron, dress top, tudor bodice, bodice, frilly shirt, frilly shirt with sash, shirt and vest, vest and scarf, captain's jacket, corset, buccaneer jacket, midriff blouse and scarf, and tabard.