Constructive Critics : Forum : Should we hold contests?

Should we hold contests?

10 Years Ago

I created one contest for us to choose an image for our group.

And if no one submits it will stay a Jellyfish! MWAHAHAH. 

Ahem. Right. Moving on. 

Do we want to have more "Group Member Only" contests?

There could be a poetry contest, a story contest, a most improved contest.

The most improved contest would require two submissions - your original work and then the final draft after you have considered your fellow group member's constructive critiques. 

What do you think?

What do you want?

I aim to serve.

Re: Should we hold contests?

10 Years Ago

I want to know if more people than you and I look at these posts... ;)  I wish an automatic announcement or something was sent out to group members when people posted in this forum.  Right now it doesn't seem very active...  

I entered in the contest (so you have at least one submission).  

A 'most improved' contest is an outstanding idea, people just need to know they need to create a separate writing for their first and final draft.  I think it should be on a monthly basis to give everyone time to receive reviews and update.  There should be a specific prompt like this contest so everyone starts on equal footing.  There could be three finalist chosen by the host and then the group votes on the winner.  Then the winner can host and pick the prompt of the next month's contest.  So for a visual it would go something like this:

May 1st, MI Contest 1 Starts
May 31st, MI Contest 1 Ends
June 1st, MI Contest 2 Starts
June 7th, MI Contest 1 Finalists Announced
June 14th, MI Contest 1 Winner Announced based on Votes
June 31st, MI Contest 2 Ends
July 1st, MI Contest 3 hosted by Contest 1 winner starts
And so on. 

And on another topic, you may want to send a group message to everyone letting them know about the critique checklists and asking them to use the signature lines.  I somehow get the feeling that the members don't spend much time on the group page... ;)   

Cheers,
Lawrence

10 Years Ago

Good point.
Initially I had worried that excessive mail would annoy members - but since no one visits the group regularly (except probably us and maybe a few others), they'll just have to put up with emails! or leave :(, but hopefully not leave.
I am going to wait until the first to start the "most improved" contest.Not sure about having the contest winner judge a future contest, but perhaps allowing them to choose the prompt.

10 Years Ago

:O :O :O
I sent an email with three updates.And then membership went from 29 to 28.
:O :O :O
Although, the world didn't end. Huh.Guess I should keep doing email updates.

10 Years Ago

I would venture to say that it's better to have fewer members that want to participate than a lot that don't participate at all...

Also there were 25 this morning so it's still a net gain!  :D

10 Years Ago

Not sure about having the contest winner judge a future contest, but perhaps allowing them to choose the prompt.

My thinking is that it would keep a person from winning multiple contests in a row while still keeping them engaged in the contest (which I hope will become a pivotal part of the group).  Also it will allow group members to have 'stock' in the group so to speak, it allows them the chance to hold a position of honor and responsibility that should cement the group in their hearts and give all members something to strive towards.  I've always seen remarkable improvements in my employees when I afford them extra trust and responsibility, because they take ownership of their role in the company.  I believe the same principle could work here... 

If we can forge a diehard crew of people that consistently contribute, a team that is dedicated to growth of the group as well as the individuals, then attracting new and worthwhile members will sort itself out...  

And then we take over the world! MWAHAHAHA.... 

Wait, forget that last part....

Ciao,
Lawrence

10 Years Ago

I see your point. This could lead to global domina - I mean increased membership and investment in the group.
Plus, if the winner of contest 1 is the moderator of contest 3, then I would eventual have the chance to participate in these contests.- Although we might have to open up contests to non-group-members because I noticed that when creating a contest I can limit it to group member's only (but only for a group I created, not just groups I am a member of).

10 Years Ago

Aaand we lost another one :(
The curse of the mail.