DarkFantasy : Forum : Welcome to the group! (please ..

[reply] [quote]

Welcome to the group! (please comment)

8 Years Ago

Hi everyone and welcome to the group! If you don't mind, could you please leave a comment about what you would like to get form this group? Thank you very much for joining! 
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
[reply] [quote]

Re: Welcome to the group! (please comment)

8 Years Ago

Some good feedback. Not just 'very nice' or 'could use editing'. And if you have tips or tools for developing story/plot lines and choosing how to portray characters that would be great too.
~FDJ~
[reply] [quote]

8 Years Ago

Hello!  Thanks for asking me to join.  I look forward to reading and sharing.
[reply] [quote]

8 Years Ago

Hi there! I'm excited to join your group, I'd love to get inspiration from all of the other talent here and to support the other writers.
[reply] [quote]

8 Years Ago

vote for me at this link for a review!
[reply] [quote]

8 Years Ago

like with every other group, people want feedback, that is actually useful... but just like most groups on the site...i didn't get it here. so...that's tha end of my membership.
[reply] [quote]

8 Years Ago

I want feed back and not the "oh that's nice" or "good emotions" feed back I want the "you spelled that wrong." "You wrote that wrong" feedback .so yeah.
[reply] [quote]

8 Years Ago

Hello to the members.
     I see that several members are asking for comments that go beyond "That's Nice". I completely understand. However, we need to see this site for what it is. This is a site of writers - as apposed to a site of readers. Therefore we have writers ranging from beginners through advanced. Advanced writers begin to work harder on developing connections to market their work, such as; entering contests promoted by literary magazines, literary agents, and publishers. If you think your work gets ignored here you will be even more disappointed when the next step arrives.
     The other side of the coin is; beginner and intermediate level writers. If you are craving feedback that will help hone your skills as a writer, you probably fit into one of these categories. Therefore, you are asking for help from writers that may not be as far along as you. Are you starting to get the picture?
     Writing takes precious time away from a regular life with family and friends and sometimes from work and studies. Then other writers want detailed critique on their work. This requires substantial consideration to be useful, and of course a lot of valuable time.
     How much time are you willing to devote to helping others? How much expertise do you have to offer? These are valid questions because this is what you are asking others to do for you.
     I have been on Writer's Cafe since 2012. It is rare to get feedback that is designed to educate you. Be very happy if someone takes the time to read your work and quit crying. If someone adds a short comment, they should be praised for taking the time to comment. You should then do the same for them. In this manner we build relationships a little at a time. You never know, one of these friends may become a successful published writer. 
     The point is; we are all in the same boat here. We should not expect others to educate us. When someone actually does offer help, super praise them and don't abuse their kindness.
     I know, I can hear your steam rising. You want to know how to improve your writing skills. This is a separate matter from posting and reviewing.
     In order to grow as a writer the first and most important advice I have to offer is to develop a thick skin when it comes to our precious little words. Don't give up. 
     The second is to learn all you can about - Copy Editing. I for one can not afford formal schooling.Copy editing goes far beyond spelling and grammar checking. It is very expensive to hire someone to do this, and they don't fix it for you. It is brutal, they make little symbols all over your pages and it is up to you to learn what the marks mean and then figure out the best way to rewrite. At that point you send it back and they do the same thing for more money. When it is all finished we may still have a "mistake free" piece of crap that no one wants to read. Don't give up. 
     I told you this is brutal. There are Copy Editing software available that can be very helpful. Be very careful about this too. Do some research on any you consider. Some are very expensive and difficult to work with. Others are not much better than the spellchecker you have built into your word processor. Don't give up.
     There are many tutorials online, some good some not so much. Copy editing is an important part of polishing our skill as a writer. Learn all you can about it because if you have someone else do it you will likely make the same kind of mistakes throughout your life, and never grow. Don't give up.
     Okay now you have a thick skin and can edit like a pro. I've been around many writers who achieve this level. Some become quite arrogant. Still, they are churning out crap that on one (except another arrogant a*****e) would read. Don't give up.
     Are you ready for the hard part?
     Think about this; there are millions of writers who never get anywhere. 
     Some turn to a vanity press, You pay all the costs and fees. You do all the marketing and advertizing. You buy your own books, hoping to resell them.
     Publishers and Literary Agents are more brutal than Copy Editors. Out of thousands of submissions, they pick only a few that they believe will fit into their Style and sell like wildfire. If they don't pick you up they don't tell you why.Don't give up.
     Do everything to get your work in front of as many readers as you can. Keep growing and developing your skills. When you get better, readers will notice. Maybe they will comment.
     Writing is all about; the story, the characters, the scenes, the timeline, the personal style, but most of all, keeping the reader's attention all the way through. 
     Developing the talent you have is up to you. Don't give up.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Sol
[reply] [quote]

6 Years Ago

I'm completely new to the site and want to get inspired and read other creators great work and in the long run get feedback on my own
[reply] [quote]

5 Years Ago

Looking for good feedback and to read others' stories.