Eyebag's Society : Forum : Activities anyone?

Activities anyone?

11 Years Ago

Feel free to post any activities that can set you awake all night (:

Re: Activities anyone?

11 Years Ago

I don't know if this counts as an activity but... I've been reading some science fiction, period stuff really, that is over 30 years old.  The older the work the more interesting a certain aspect of it becomes.  This aspect is the attempt of the author to intertwine then-existant-or-speculative "science" and social mores within the fabric of the story and characters.

What I am finding that is, to me, fascinating is how much of it right, how much is now known to be sheer nonsense; with respect to the science.  One other intriguing thing that stands out are the things the writer has chosen to use ad plot devices that provide depth, personality and motivation to the story characters.  Things that now may seem oddly out of place in the world of this period.

Should anyone like to discuss these things, as an "activity", then I encourage my fellow eyebaggers to locate copies of E.E.Smith's "Lensman" series to begin with.  (Note: I just added 'eyebagger', both plural and singular, to my personal dictionary, even though it's not a real word, just to keep it from showing with a red squiggle beneath it; I think I may be using it more than once.)

Thank you fellow Eyebaggers,

-Ufi  :D

Re: Activities anyone?

11 Years Ago

Originally posted by UfoAuthor
I don't know if this counts as an activity but... I've been reading some science fiction, period stuff really, that is over 30 years old.  The older the work the more interesting a certain aspect of it becomes.  This aspect is the attempt of the author to intertwine then-existant-or-speculative "science" and social mores within the fabric of the story and characters.

What I am finding that is, to me, fascinating is how much of it right, how much is now known to be sheer nonsense; with respect to the science.  One other intriguing thing that stands out are the things the writer has chosen to use ad plot devices that provide depth, personality and motivation to the story characters.  Things that now may seem oddly out of place in the world of this period.

Should anyone like to discuss these things, as an "activity", then I encourage my fellow eyebaggers to locate copies of E.E.Smith's "Lensman" series to begin with.  (Note: I just added 'eyebagger', both plural and singular, to my personal dictionary, even though it's not a real word, just to keep it from showing with a red squiggle beneath it; I think I may be using it more than once.)

Thank you fellow Eyebaggers,

-Ufi  :D

Yeah, Eyebagger friend (:
EE Cummings is a free writer, he can always go out of the normal (: