Faith & Spirituality Without The Bs : Forum : Universal Truth

[reply] [quote]

Universal Truth

17 Years Ago

Are there things to you that transcend faith, that somehow are universal no matter what some dogma may dictate?
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

For me, it's the sanctity of life.
and treating others the way you'd expect them to treat you.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

faith itself. humanity is blessed/cursed with the capacity to see things "better" than they are. religion is the tool we use to express and fulfill this need. while all religions/beliefs/non-beliefs have disagreements on a variety of subjects, they all share a belief in a better world. they diverge on the question of timing. whether that world can be created here or if it is reserved for after.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

that all depends WHAT you put your faith IN.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

While I am not a Christian, the ten commandments seems to work as a good list to follow as any.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

Quote:
Originally posted by jesse dunstan
that all depends WHAT you put your faith IN.

I disagree. your answer is founded on the belief that everyone has faith. which was my basic premise. therefore, your answer confirms mine. it is a universal truth that all human beings have faith. the secondary question deals with a universal construct in which to place our faith. while the ten commandments are universal to the judeo/christian faith, they are not universal to all. if you are poor, thou shalt not steal may not be a universal truth, as your survival is paramount. if you are a spiritualist, thou shalt not commit adultery/fornication may not be universal as you may view sexuality as a natural thing and monogamy as a social construct. those are just a few examples but the conflicts are readily apparent when you move out of the judeo/christian way of thinking. i doubt that there is a universal truth, but if there is, my money's on the golden rule.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

I believe that there are at least two universal truths which apply to every single human being on this planet.

1) The law of karma: What goes around comes around. What you do now you will pay for eventually.The good you do will be rewarded ten fold. All debts must be and will be paid.

2) The law of the pendulum: Through out our existance we will pass through a series of ups and downs. Every moment of sorrow is preceded by a moment of joy, every moment of joy is preceded by a moment of sorrow.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

Kidd_Lucky - I like your two universal truths. The karma one I have thought about a lot, and I believe in it very much, because I have seen it unfold so many times.

Your Pendulum idea I have not thought of. I find it interesting.

I also think that people are what they think about. You think sorrow and its surrounds you. If you think and believe in happiness it too will surround you. Because for some people the pendulum tips towards sorrow more than joy and visa verse, but then again that might have to do with thier karma.

I have said often that is what there is so much war and conflict in the world. Because people will day there will always be war and fighting. The believe in war. But ask people if they believe in the possibilty of peace, and many don't. Ironically, people who work towards peace, those peace-loving activists , are often judged to be a little 'tapped' - as say idealists and unrealistic.

Something has to be imagined/visualized first.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

I've got to say karma for this one. And the lessons you learn while you're here. And love. All of those are definitly universal, no matter your faith.