Falconheart Fiction : Forum : Your perspective on perspectiv..

[reply] [quote]

Your perspective on perspectives?

10 Years Ago

Ah, the question that haunts us all."NO NO NO FIRST PERSON!!!!" screams the published third-person writer...."Why not?" asks the accomplished first-person writer...."Hm?" says the second-person how-to guide author.... Different authors will suggest different viewpoints, so which is the best to use? Well...Yes, there are many opinions. Mine is this:First Person: (as in "I" "me" "my) really makes the story personal and immerses the reader deeper into the world, makes them feel like they are a part of the world you have created; can be used in stories of journeys and romance as well; some say it is cliché, but it works if you do it right Second Person: ("you") good for how-to guides and pick-what-happens-next stories Third Person (both limited and omniscient, difference being we can see into either one or multiple minds of characters, "they" "he" "she" "them") good for describing multiple characters, and while it does not give as much of a personal feel (limited is sometimes an exception), it can help make the story more understandable. Opinions?
[reply] [quote]

Re: Your perspective on perspectives?

10 Years Ago

I really like the first person perspective the best.. I also believe that it has the most impact. Yeah it is easy to write from there, but you really have to get in the mind of your character. Then too it is also hard because you have to question yourself as to how you feel, smell or hear something. In first person the 5 senses are your best friends. :)
That is just me, I use first person the most.
[reply] [quote]

Re: Your perspective on perspectives?

10 Years Ago

Sometimes my stories call for a specific perspective. I do not shy away from 1st person but I write and revise it very carefully. When using 1st person, it is hard to remain objectionable and not address the audience directly. I also find (for me) I tend to vary my tense (present slides into past, etc) and have to watch that I stay in the same throughout.

Other times third person allows me to step back and relay a story through the characters eyes, voice, and actions. The restraints of everything can be destroyed. By that, I mean, dragons can have a voice and teach school or a man can sprout wings and terrorize the cavemen. First person tends to have to be more believable and pushing suspension of disbelief becomes harder to do.