Fantasy Foretold : Forum : Research info for book

[reply] [quote]

Research info for book

10 Years Ago

For awhile now I've been searching the net for some good info on old lores and myths related to different religions in different regions of the world but so far the all i've found is crap. I wander if anyone here know any good sites with detailed discription on interesting myths and legends. Alex
[reply] [quote]

Re: Research info for book

10 Years Ago

This site seems pretty interesting. It has quite a long list, spanning the ages and the cultures. It appears to be catered to a younger crowd, but the myths seem solid enough. When you click on one, just click on the "Story Text" to get to the write-up (those movie things are creepy, lol). It also has dates and locations for each myth.

Also, here is a list of all of the "see also" links from the Wikipedia mythology entry.

General

Archetypal literary criticism
Artificial mythology
Creation myth
Flood myth
Fairy
Fable
Geomythology
Legendary creature
LGBT themes in mythology
Mytheme
Mythical place
Mythography

Mythology portal
National myth
Origin-of-death myth

Mythological archetypes

Culture hero
Death deity
Earth Mother
First man or woman
Hero
Life-death-rebirth deity
Lunar deity
Psychopomp
Sky father
Solar deity
Trickster
Underworld

Myth and religion

Fu Xi and Nüwa represented as half-snake, half-human creatures
Chinese mythology
Christian mythology
Hindu mythology
Islamic mythology
Japanese mythology
Jesus Christ in comparative mythology
Jewish mythology
Magic and mythology
Maya mythology
Religion and mythology

Lists

List of deities
List of legendary creatures by type
List of legendary creatures
List of mythical objects
List of mythologies
List of women warriors in folklore
[reply] [quote]

10 Years Ago

Arutha mentioned a lot of good sources on the internet but if you want to find something unique you might want to find a bookstore or a library.  I know, foreign idea in the age of technology.  But if you're just looking for something random to spark your imagnation, I can't really think of a better way.   I can't tell from your post, is there something more specific that you're looking for?
[reply] [quote]

10 Years Ago

Thanks for the help man!
[reply] [quote]

10 Years Ago

Look up an isn't tribes and research them. I bet you'll find some interesting messed up facts that could spark some imagination. Don't look up the 'cliche' ones either such as the Inca's or Native Americans. Look up ancient tribes from other less typical countries such as, I dunno, Russia (if there ARE some that are well known from that region). The Australia natives seem pretty interesting too. Ancient cultures/religions from Indonesia are pretty interesting as well. (I think this is from Indonesia anyways,) but they used to do this weird ritual thing where if a child was still-born, they'd bore a hole in a tree, put the baby in it, seal the hole and then let the tree grow around the baby. In honor of some Diety, I'm sure. Look up strange things though. Don't look up what everyone else already knows about. (I kinda ran away with that. Maybe this answers your question?) lol. Sorry! But it's an interesting topic nonetheless.
[reply] [quote]

10 Years Ago

Correction for my very first sentence on my previous post: "Look up **ancient** tribes..." (Screw off auto current!!!)
[reply] [quote]

10 Years Ago

Mythology and theology are some of my passions. If you have a specific culture in mind I could send you a bunch of links, book titles, blogs and random facts about that group. 
[reply] [quote]

10 Years Ago

One thing you could do is make up your own stories of lore. Use mythology to help come up with your own ideas, but I find that when I'm reading fantasy books, I appreciate reading books that allow fresh new stories to come through and capture my attention. On the other hand, I also like reading historical mythology as I am already familiar with the story so that I'm not overwhelmed with information. If you do come up with your own lore, make it simple and easy to follow along with if it's a smaller story within the larger story - if it's the book itself, go ahead and make it as complex as you want. Complex ideas are so much more fun for the logical thinkers who highly enjoy puzzles.
[reply] [quote]

10 Years Ago

Originally posted by MoonlitAngel
One thing you could do is make up your own stories of lore. Use mythology to help come up with your own ideas, but I find that when I'm reading fantasy books, I appreciate reading books that allow fresh new stories to come through and capture my attention. On the other hand, I also like reading historical mythology as I am already familiar with the story so that I'm not overwhelmed with information. If you do come up with your own lore, make it simple and easy to follow along with if it's a smaller story within the larger story - if it's the book itself, go ahead and make it as complex as you want. Complex ideas are so much more fun for the logical thinkers who highly enjoy puzzles.

I would just like to say that I totally agree with this...it's something I enjoy doing myself.  It's always fun to have a little framestory that slowly weaves its way into the outer story.  : )
[reply] [quote]

10 Years Ago

A bunch of people here are right - making your own mythology is more fun than using the one which exists already. It's a great puzzle and pure pleasure for readers to discover new world, but also helps the writer imagine his own fictional world better while actually building it from bricks.

There are so many wonderful aspects to consider: religion, customs, administrative divide, races of people, fauna, flora. Building the world from the scratch makes it more believeable and less recycled.