Fantasy Foretold : Forum : tHe WRiTiNg GAmE

[reply] [quote]

tHe WRiTiNg GAmE

10 Years Ago

Note: Forum posts read backwards, so this is the oldest post in the thread. Please move to the end of the thread to post a reply. Thanks!

This was an idea conceived by Mitchell and Writer #00. It's very simple. There will be a new game every few days, and this post will tell you which forum page the new rules are on.

The current game is on page 1
, post 20.

Go to that page and find the post containing the following:

New Game!

Read the instructions for the current game and give us your best! There are no winners or losers, just people overcoming the proffered challenge.

If you have a suggestion for the next game, shoot me (Arutha) a mail message with the concept, and if it's good we'll do it!
[reply] [quote]

Re: tHe WRiTiNg GAmE

10 Years Ago

New Game!

To complete this challenge, you must add between 50 & 200 words to the ongoing story. If you wish to play more than once, feel free (just don't respond to your own post). If there is ever a conflict where two individuals post at the same time, in response to the same section of the story, feel free to pick one and continue the story.

I'll start ;-D

Rialen heaved a great sigh. Jalycia could feel the dragon's impatience as if it were her own, his green scales shifting and sliding across his massive bulk as he repositioned himself in the grass. The soul-melding would take some getting used to, but the grandmeister seemed to think she was adjusting well. Still, the sickness would take weeks yet to fully play out. Her innards were in constant flux, and she found it almost impossible to keep food down for more than a few minutes.

Rialen was clearly ready to leave the vast courtyard at the Academy, eager to beat his wings high in the sun-dappled clouds above the Forigian Forest.

Soon, my friend. Very soon.

Rialen gently nudged her shoulder in response. She was fortunate to have melded so successfully; not all First-Years were as lucky. One boy had been made a meal of, the guilty dragon having been chained to a century of servitude to the Academy, his power stripped in a Void Ceremony. Jalycia could feel Rialen's mental cringe at the thought.
[reply] [quote]

10 Years Ago

Along with this thought, Jalycia also felt a complete thought drift into her mind, something along the lines of "pubescent males do make the best snacks, though, so I understand completely why Gyra would risk his magic for it.  It is not everyday male under eighteen are assigned to the class that is Dracosynchronization as they have been found to be notably less likely to open their souls for the admittance of a dragon's--even if said dragon showed no sign of causing harm to him.''

Gyra, Jalycia thought, that must have been the name of the dragon from that incident. 

She had never thought of the incident--rumoured to have occurred a good decade ago--because of its level improbability given the protective muzzle dragons were all forced to wear to avoid mishaps such as the one mentioned.  Rialen's definitive thought of the fabled powerless dragon made Jalycia's stomach sink--or was that a result of the soulmelding?--since it meant that such a horrific accident had indeed taken place.  It wasn't until a few minutes later, when her meister advised she separate her soul from Rialen's (prolonged Dracosynchronization was said to result in indefinite imprisonment inside the dragon), that she shuddered at Rialen's wanting to eat a human.  She desperately hoped her senses weren't already being mildly altered by the Dracosynchronization, as nothing about eating a human being had aroused any form of disgust in her until now.

Jalycia thought of discussing the matter with Meister Hastallen, but he had already moved on to the next student.

Oh well, she decided, I'll talk about it with my sister.  She's been dracosynchronizing for years now.
[reply] [quote]

10 Years Ago

Her thoughts were interrupted by Hastallen's droning monotone, doing more to lull her to sleep than to captivate her attention. He addressed all of the students gathered in the courtyard, several conversations tapering off as everyone caught on. "As the first week of the soulmeld comes to a close, it is imperative that all students maintain the synchronization for a full day (with sleep) by the end of the coming week. Recall that week four is the deadline for a full physical convalesence and, subsequently, a full-form affixment." Jalycia groaned under her breath.

The record for a full-form soulmeld was an impressive eight days without loss of sanity, though most found their personal limit to be closer to two or three days. Jalycia had thus far succeeded in four hours of lesser synchronization, a form whereby thoughts were shared without a literal melding of spirits into a single, two-part being. How she would ever achieve an entire day in full-form was beyond her.

"Lici, want to find a bit of fun tonight?" Kae'Ellen was Jalycia's only sister, not to mention her closest friend at the Academy, though she seemed to have a penchant for finding trouble.

"Kae, just because you've already managed a full-form sync with Calrissa doesn't mean everyone else can afford to just go around..." She was interrupted by the all-knowing stare of Meister Hastallen.
[reply] [quote]

10 Years Ago

How does he always know when I'm about to cave?!

"I really should spend more time with Rialen tonight.  You know I can't afford to fail my full-form."

"I know, I know.  I wish I could help, sis, but you know how it is."

"Yeah, sometimes I feel that I'm reminded too much, Kae.  Of all the different types of dragons, I had to get paired with the one least willing to make it easy on me."  The enormous Jade Blossom, as Rialen's kind were called, chuckled at her frustration, and nearly sent her tumbling from her perch.

She leapt down from her training saddle, and scowled up at the Dragon.  "Oh be quiet, you.  If I fail next week, then you're gonna get stuck with a newling.  Who's gonna be laughing then?"

Seeing as how she would be expelled, and forced to work the land back at her family's hovel in Westershire, Rialen would probably be laughing then too.  It was fortunate that she had just the thing in mind to solve her problems. 

[reply] [quote]

10 Years Ago

New Game!

The new game is from the mind of Gretchen Clarke. It's going to be similar to what we were doing, in that each poster should add 50-200 words to the ongoing story, except this time we'll be starting with Gretchen's prompt. Whoever wants to get it going, feel free to jump in there!

"The story centers on two children/teens altered by magic to become creatures of fantasy (dragons, elves, shapeshifters, fairies; [basically] anything BUT vampires and werewolves). One of the altered children/teens was a human boy and the other a human girl. The story would detail their meeting, how they cope with their new bodies, and their relationship (do they end up falling in love, or do they become bitter rivals that create two sides and go to war to settle their feud?)."
[reply] [quote]

10 Years Ago

Dark. Cold. Like floating through empty space, a body like air, numb to the outside world. Jason lay on his back, ragged breaths coming in slow and steady, hardly like he would have expected them to the moment before he died. Especially after the sorceress impaled him with her staff, slowly sending her poison through his veins.
It was strangely peaceful, despite the fact he could no longer control what shape his body stayed in, no longer really knew who he was. Was he Jason? Or was he Jessica? Was he the tiger? Or perhaps the eagle whose form he stole all those weeks ago? It was all becoming a jumble, the memories blending together, each person, animal, and thing's consciousness beating at his own.
He. Yes. He was pretty sure he was male, of that much he could pick out through the cacophonous noise inside his head, that wracked his body reduced to spastic hot flashes, skin rippling like a mirage as arms turned to wings and feet into paws. Eyes into gold and head into snakes. A modern day chimera.
Footsteps. They broke the peace of his death, sounding like thunder in his sensitive ears, of course she'd come, of course she wouldn't even give him the dignity to die peacefully. No, she had to stand over him watch and allow her to have her own dirty way.
"Nimra," He choked out, eyes blazing angrily, all consciousness inside him agreeing that she was a threat.
"Jason." He hair was black falling in beautiful ringlets down her back, her eyes a dancing red.
It hadn't always been this way. They hadn't always been enemies, at one time her eyes had been blue. At one time they had both been normal.

(YAYYYYY STARTED AT THE END PEOPLE!!! LET YOUR IMAGINATIONS RUN WILD~~~ I think i might have gone a tad over.... ooops?)
[reply] [quote]

10 Years Ago

Nimra staggered out of the darkness and into the light.  It felt as if she'd been in the cave for days, but there was no way to be sure.  Her eyes blinked rapidly to adjust, and all four legs wobbled uncertainly.  Four.  Four legs.  Four legs?!

She found herself scrambling to remain upright, as the realization of her new form threatened to overwhelm her.  She could feel each leg independently of the others, but they seemed to know how to function as a unit without any direction from her.  Apparently whatever this new shape was came with instincts as well.  There were vague sensations of a tail swishing impatiently back and forth.  

It was clear from a quick look down that she now had paws.  Massive golden paws holding up muscular fur-covered legs.  An attempt to speak resulted in a deep, bubbling growl.  Fear began to creep into Nimra's bones.  What had been done to her.  Was she a monster?  She had to know.

Down the hill and into the woods she sprinted, four legs carrying her faster than she'd ever ran before.  Twigs and branches whipped at her face with each nimble dodge between trees, but she hardly noticed through her new thick fur.  It wasn't long before she found a shallow pond.  Nervously, she approached the reflective surface.

It won't be that bad, Nim.  You're still you.  Nobody else in here, right?  Take a look...

Eyes shut tight, she bent her head over the water, and cracked a quick glance.  Her jaw dropped in shock when Nimra saw what she had become.

(I went back to the beginning... that's what I was supposed to do, right? =D  Also, I think I went a bit over too... oh well, hah!)
[reply] [quote]

10 Years Ago

Can I post in response to my own prompt?
[reply] [quote]

10 Years Ago

Originally posted by Gretchen Clarke
Can I post in response to my own prompt?

I have no actual authority, but I don't see why not.  I posted something for the 'e' challenge and started it, too.
[reply] [quote]

10 Years Ago

Her hair, hovering just above the river in small, black circles, was the same as it had been for the majority of her life.  Her eyes hadn't changed drastically, remaining soft, oceanic blues, and, for the most part, her entire face was the same it had been the night before.  It even maintained the slight green tinge she'd acquired last night following her Mom's questionably gelatinous excuse for dinner. 

She remembered poking at the stuff--was it pasta?  jiggling flour-and-water that was supposed to be pasta?--and then, not wanting to hurt her incredibly emotionally delicate mother, shoveling the...food?...into her mouth as quickly as her psyche would allow and her esophagus could physically admit.  She also remembered experiencing a sort of uncomfortable gag as she shoved the hopefully nutritious half-blob down her throat, a reflex she was not accustomed to given her adaptation to the usual horror that was her mother's cooking.  There was something especially--unnaturally--sickening about this batch of death her mom had whipped up, something that made her queasy and sent her to bed with the sensation one felt while vomiting, but without the actual act of vomiting.  And when she awoke the next day?

Well, that's what she was trying to get a grasp on now. 

Nimra glanced down at her han--err--paws, then back into the very her reflection of the river.  Paws.  Face.  Paws.  Face.  She continued this bobblehead-esque motion for an astonishing ten minutes, giving her mind time enough to fully register the shock of what she was, stepping back from the river so that she could see her full body.  Was it her body?  She wondered, as the golden fur and long, fan-like canine's tail curled itself between her hind legs. 

The wave of untreatable nausea she'd felt approximately twelve hours earlier returned once more, the green pallor tinting her nearly brown complexion ever more.  She closed her eyes, heaving over into the river but feeling only the dry, disappointing pain of having absolutely nothing come up.  Multiple, stabbing pinpricks radiated up her neck, into her cheeks, around her eyes and nose, and melding with and into her hair.  When the wave past,  Nimra slowly opened her eyes, trembling over the river water and pawing at the ground as the head of a gold-feathered bird--perhaps an eagle?--stared back at her. 

(Nimra still has her paws, if you didn't catch that...I was going for a Griffin)
[reply] [quote]

10 Years Ago

Haha cool!  I had a manticore in my head, but I wanted to give someone else the final say.
[reply] [quote]

10 Years Ago

Maybe when this game is done we can make it into a collab book? I could start another thread and make it dedicated to the project, and anyone who wanted to help could say so in that thread. Then we could PM each other backand forth with chapters and edits and such. The we could pick someone to post the book, and the first 'chapter' would give credit to everybody that helped. Whatcha guys think? Is it a good idea?
[reply] [quote]

10 Years Ago

Maybe when this game is done we can make it into a collab book? I could start another thread and make it dedicated to the project, and anyone who wanted to help could say so in that thread. Then we could PM each other backand forth with chapters and edits and such. The we could pick someone to post the book, and the first 'chapter' would give credit to everybody that helped. Whatcha guys think? Is it a good idea?

That sounds really really cool! It would be a collective work and I think that would make writing more fun for each of us writer as well as exercising our writing ability. I would love to help! 
[reply] [quote]

10 Years Ago

Nimra froze and blinked at the reflection that blinked back at her. She was so overcome with shock that her new body became as still and cold as stone. Her mind was blank and then suddenly a mixture of emotions so raw and powerful exploded in her that she felt herself lift off the ground with massive brown and gold tinge wings. Her paws scratched at the air as she lifted herself higher and let out a massive screech of what was meant to be a cry of anguish. 

Without direction, Nimra hurled herself towards a faraway mountain scape. Her giant wings beating the air faster and faster with each thought of the transformation and her wretched mother. Hot tears filled her eyes and blurred the little thatched cottages down below. All she could think of was getting as far away as possible. 
As Nimra's large wings stretched out abover her she noticed a convocation of eagles swirling the air above her. Their angry screeches filled the air and Nimra responded in annoyance an angry shriek of her own. Wait - did she really just talk to those animals? Nimra shuddered at the thought as the reality of her transformation finally sunk in. 

Before she could realize what was happening a couple of the eagles launched themselves at her and spread their wings wide. "What are you?" the larger of the two said. "You don't belong in this world." 
The other beat its outstretched wings in agreement. 
Nimra growled, "Let me pass. I'm going far away anyways." Her wings were starting to get weary from the far journy. 

The large eagle narrowed his eyes at her, "You seek comfort in the Black Mountains? You are brave, little one. Watch out for the dangers - they are not of your kind." With a fiery screech the eagles dropped low and returned to their convocation. 

[reply] [quote]

10 Years Ago

Originally posted by Taylor0401
Haha cool!  I had a manticore in my head, but I wanted to give someone else the final say.

Woops, sorry.  I didn't even know what a manticore was until just now.  They look monstrous.
[reply] [quote]

10 Years Ago

No apology necessary!  Like I said, I wanted to throw a couple features out there and see where someone else took it.  I knew that lion's paws and a tail gave a few options, so it was exciting to see what the group came up with.  
[reply] [quote]

10 Years Ago

Um... yeah?!  Totally in for that!

[reply] [quote]

10 Years Ago

The thread is up! It's called "Gretchen's Collaborative Book Project"!
[reply] [quote]

10 Years Ago

New Game!

So the new game is as follows: Write a fantasy-esque poem, the kind of elegant poem you might see as the lead in to a prologue. These tend to be prophetic, wisdomatic, ominous, and/or generally oozing with mythical lore.

I'll get us started!

The winds of the fourth night shall thunder forth with the mewling of the one born,
Yet as once before unmade, so again shall it be rended.
The tides of the fifth morn shall see the great precipice in pieces, strewn as dust,
Yea though the world weepeth, so shall the one sail upon her tears.

<Okay, not that great... but I totally said "weepeth" ;-P>

First Page first
Previous Page prev