Help For Those Who Want It. : Forum : Advice

Advice

8 Years Ago

I just found out my best friend overdosed and i am depressed. any advice?

Re: Advice

8 Years Ago

Hello, I am sorry to hear of your loss. It is heart breaking when these events occur and it hurts everyone involved. I have not experienced this first hand, losing someone like this, but I do know the battle with depression and how it tries to take a hold on you, and ultimately make you its prisoner. The only advice I could give is surround yourself in God's presence and love, that is what brought me out of my darkest days when I thought about wanting my life to just end. God showed me there is a purpose for my life and the heartaches I go through. I know you will still feel this loss no matter what, but you can pray for comfort for yourself and your friend's loved ones and hopefully from you sharing your story with others people will start speaking up about their feelings more before they reach this desperate situation in their lives. I hope and pray more people will seek out help and healing in their lives and do not listen to the lies that ending their life will make everything go away and better. The pain can be hard at times deep in depression, but God can give us joy and peace even in the midst of our storms, and I am thankful He did that for me, or maybe I would not be here as well. I hope you find the comfort and peace you need during this sad time. 

8 Years Ago

Is your friend dead? if not, don't be. If he/she is still in toxic state, your friend will probably have a chance to renew his/her life. You need to think in the bright side. Depression will also effect the patient, that slows his healing rate. The only thing you can do, is too make sure he/she is happy. 

if he/she is dead, then I'm sorry for the lost. But being a depressed state will not help you. Also please avoid alcohol, drugs, or suicidal thoughts during that time. Since your in a depress state, you more and less likely to not care about anything and just end it all. Please seek help with the one close to you, they can help you with your current state. Or find something funny. Happiness is the best cure.

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much. It is a very hard thing, but i do believe that God knows best. 

8 Years Ago

My friend is not dead, he is just in the hospital. It is just hard because he was always there for me and I feel as if I should have done something more.
Originally posted by Kclyaine
Is your friend dead? if not, don't be. If he/she is still in toxic state, your friend will probably have a chance to renew his/her life. You need to think in the bright side. Depression will also cause effect the patient, that slows his healing rate. The only thing you can do, is too make sure he/she is happy. 

if he/she is dead, then I'm sorry for the lost. But being a depressed state will not help you. Also please avoid alcohol, drugs, or suicidal thoughts during that time. Since your in a depress state, you more and less likely to not care about anything and just end it all. Please seek help with the one close to you, they can help you with your current state. Or find something funny. Happiness is the best cure.

8 Years Ago

Well that is good news your friend isn't dead! I am sorry I misunderstood your message. I can understand feeling guilty about maybe not doing enough, but don't beat yourself too much about it because sometimes we don't realize how much someone is struggling until they ask for help or when situations like this arise. It is a very sad fact but it is true, at least to my knowledge. Thank God that he is still alive and he can still find a fulfilling life in Jesus! Prayers and being there for him is what is important now as you probably already know. If he does not know the Lord, try and share with him the love and restoration that Jesus can give him. If he is battling with an addiction maybe help him find a place that will help him overcome it. I have heard about Teen Challenge, I think it is called, they help people overcome different addictions. It is probably not going to be an easy road ahead with whatever he is struggling with, but there is hope and I think that is what he needs to hear and come to an understanding. It breaks my heart hearing stories like this, because I understand the great struggle with depression and how tempting it can be just to end it all, I am so thankful I didn't though! Sending my prayers to everyone involved! <3 

8 Years Ago

thank you so much for your advice and support. it has helped

8 Years Ago

You're welcome, I am glad to hear it has helped!