House of Writers : Forum : A question...

[reply] [quote]

A question...

11 Years Ago

So I'm writing out this zombie apocalypse novel. I'm a prologue and almost 5 chapters in. I've been wanting to do something a little different as oppose to writing and I think I've got it going. None of this is the question, just the explanation. Is there anyone here who has read/worshiped these brands of novels and can read mine and let me know if this is any kind of good?

Greatly appreciate it.
[reply] [quote]

Re: A question...

11 Years Ago

If I may, as a professional book reviewer (and fiction writer) please allow me to insert my two cents regarding your subject matter:

After twilight was released/inflicted on the general public, a whole host of similar novels were penned involving teen angst vampires and some form of lycanthrope... indeed, so much so that I and many of my fellow reviewers began rejecting all kinds of fiction--adult and YA alike--solely due to said glut.

The zombie apocalypse theme is quite popular right now, but it on the waning edge. Ten more zombie novels seem to appear on our monthly List of Titles, every time it comes around, rather washing out the type of prose in question. They begin to all blend together, if you will. We call them "copycat" novels, and most are never chosen for review. However, if---as you say-- you are the a fan of the zombie novel genre, and are committed to it, then please forgive my well-intentioned warning and write away.

Note to other writers reading this: also please PLEASE steer clear of first person perspective. The speaking-to-myself-from-within-my-own-head voice is so overdone these days that it teeters on the precipice of Absurdity, making it quite difficult to write a normal review... as opposed to a lengthy, blistering rant. Thank you.