House of Writers : Forum : Be careful what you wish for.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Wes
[reply] [quote]

Be careful what you wish for.

11 Years Ago

Twinkle, Twinkle little star, I'm glad I put gas in my car, as now from heaven you do peek, without an inkling, its you I seek.The car traveled effortlessly over the worn asphalt. Its high performance engine purring with life, as the driver, a young man, a dreamer if you will, pressed his foot on the accelerator. As the speedometer climbed to 95, the young man smiled. There was something to be said about living in the Mid West, for one posted speed limits were for tourists and old folks. And two, The long stretches of black asphalt, surrounded on either side by green grass, the air smelled clean, fresh, and everything was far and few in between, he liked that. He wished it could go forever.Occasionally in the distance, one would see a patch of light, someone's home, maybe a ranch. There were no buildings, no cars, no people, nothing, save an occasional cow or two or three, but they paid him no mind. Just the open sky, dotted with a billion pin points of light, shining down and the open road. He inhaled deeply, and the crisp countrified air flowing in from the drivers side window, jump started his senses, he felt the familiar tingling deep down in his gut, as he always did, when the week end came and he cruised the highways, with no particular destination in mind.He glanced at the briefcase, resting on the passenger seat, with his initials embossed in gold and sighed. He had a ton of work to do. Three projects going at once. he felt a momentary pang of guilt, then as quickly as the feeling came, he dismissed it. The work could wait.He pressed on the accelerator and the Speedometer needle, bathed in a diffused white light climbed to 105. The custom made dual exhaust mufflers growled as the baffles opened wide.There was plenty of accelerator pedal left, 110, 115, The car trembled slightly as the high performance suspension adjusted to the speed. Still no shaking, no rattling. The young man glanced up at the open sky, dotted with a billion pin points of light, shining down, and smiled inwardly, 'This was the life, he thought '120,130,142 As the car rocketed down the road, the headlights picked out something, on the side of road. The young man frowned. he couldn't quite make it out. Curiosity kicked in and he began decelerating, the car slowed, 80,70,40,20. He pulled it to the side of the road, and got out. The light from the headlights bounced off of the shape. It was metal, twisted, crumpled, rusted. A car, and from the look of things it had been here a very long time.As the young man walked slowly around the twisted frame, something caught his eye, old deteriorated, faded, raised gold lettering, familiar, a briefcase. Heart racing, the young man reached down to pick it up, but his hand passed through it, standing he reached for the wrecks twisted metal again his hand passed through it.Walking to his car, he placed his hand on the hood. The gentle idle, was reassuring. Glancing up, as he sat down in the car, the young man looked at the open sky, dotted with a billion pin points of light, shining down. He understood.The car traveled effortlessly over the worn asphalt. Its high performance engine purring with life, as the driver, a young man, a dreamer if you will, pressed his foot on the accelerator. As the speedometer climbed to 95, the young man smiled. There was something to be said about living in the Mid West, for one posted speed limits were for tourists and old folks. And two, The long stretches of black asphalt, surrounded on either side by green grass, the air smelled clean, fresh, and everything was far and few in between, he liked that. He wished it could go forever.
[reply] [quote]

Re: Be careful what you wish for.

11 Years Ago

Thank you Wes, I enjoyed this story. good feeling of speed. A few too many mentions of "billion pinpoints of light" though.