House of Writers : Forum : Is it a question of length?

[reply] [quote]

Is it a question of length?

11 Years Ago

Being new here, I decided to wander the shelves and see what's on offer, read some, review some, before I posted my own.  You know, pre-balance the scales with my thumb kinda stuff.  I ignore poems and novels, one because poems just don't do it for me and I just don't have the time for novels.  Short stories! Tickle me, tease me, throw me in the deep end and let me drown, that's what I want.  I want 3000-7000 words to roll around in and get the stink of character development in my fur.  Then I start to see a pattern forming.  Ultra short stories under 1000 words, or snipets from upcoming projects, selections of thoughts on novels planned on writing, and seemingly random thoughts from writing class uploaded.  Am I not finding the short stories or have the rules changed?  Yes yes yes, writing has no rules, fiction is what we make it.  So is no one making long fiction any more? 
[reply] [quote]

Re: Is it a question of length?

11 Years Ago

Well it truely does depend. With most people haveing to deal with school (students and parents alike) they may not have the time for long fiction. Now people classify "long fiction" as a book on here. So it is whatever you are used to. I say go ahead with the long fiction.     And it is a good question. Most people are said fiction is between amount A and amount B. In my personal opionion they can suck it. Fiction is abput expressing yourself so the amount of words does not matter. So9 i really odont care about the word count unless it is for a contest. I hope this answered your question.  
[reply] [quote]

11 Years Ago

It's just that i see little or no 4000+ word stories here.  Granted, i only looked in the sci-fi and fantasy area.
[reply] [quote]

11 Years Ago

Short stories not to be the preffered medium here.  Usually because it falls between the groups of people who read here: those who aren't prepared to spend any real time reading, and so are looking for very small pieces, and those who want to be really sucked into a world and explore it in depth. It's unfortunate, but it appears to be a definate trend here.
[reply] [quote]

11 Years Ago

hi,

i wrote i don't know, a short story/narrative poem (i just wrote it) i didn't "put a label on it" just very much enjoyed writing it, editing it, imagining it. it has gotten some "views, but no reviews" i kind of figured that, but i'm okay with that since i personally think it's not half-bad. i honestly didn't care for my short story to get reviews, etc on it, i just wanted to express and share it. if i get a review, or see i have received one, i actually cringe, thinking "okay, time to put my armor on." i mainly post just to share with others my thoughts, etc. i know my weakness as far as my writing goes, and my slight strengths. i just write for selfish reasons: to me: it's the best natural high there is, getting lost in that moment, nothing matters, whatever your dealing with, or what day you had, disappears.

My short? story/narrative poem? falls into the horror/suspense genre, just so you know. It's called "The Witches' Tree" - feel free to read it if you want, very upset that it's finished :( - it's over

sorry for the rambling, take care!